“Beautiful and Amazing Home!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bold Colorful Life Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Boothbay
Bold Colorful Life Estate
Ranked #3 of 7 Boothbay B&B and Inns
franklin
“Beautiful and Amazing Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I visited this home in September with a group of artists and had a wonderful time. An amazing living space and kitchen with dining table to seat a party of 22! The Grand Piano was a fantastic surprise and the overall vibe of the home is vibrant and cozy! Beautiful furnishings and views from the back deck. I had a lovely walk down the hill to the bay...just one highlight of the week. I definitely would go again...and again! Thanks to the owner for sharing her home with others!
Pam

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is my fourth visit to Melissa Thornton's Bold Colorful Life Inn and I look forward to returning. So beautifully appointed inside and out, the Inn allows me a carefree weekend in a striking natural setting. Melissa could not be more welcoming and accommodating. The farmhouse kitchen has everything needed and the great room has a library and view to the Back River that simply does not stop being interesting. Nearby Boothbay Harbor has good restaurants and cute shops right on the water and the Botanical Garden gives a different view every year. I highly recommend staying here - and bring your family because there is room for all.

Room Tip: Each room in the farmhouse has a different color scheme so choose your favorite color. The views ar...
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I came here with college friends for a weekend mini-reunion. (The owner Melissa Thornton went to the same college.) The property has an enchanting view of a tidal river and picturesque landscaping and paths. I stayed with my friends in the renovated Cape – the rooms there were charming and cozy and my bed was very comfortable, but other than sleeping, we didn't spend much time there.

In fact, we didn't spend all that much time on the property. Melissa, who puts the E in enthusiasm, organized a host of things to do, including visits to the Farnsworth Art Museum, the Coastal Maine Botanic Gardens, Camden, Boothbay Harbor, a local outdoor crafts fair, local restaurants, and more.

Our college group shared a fantastic breakfast with French toast and omelets and fruit – the dining room table is actually an old barn door shellacked to an impressive gleam, one of many unusual touches that make the place colorful. The library, with a large wall of a window facing the river, is sky-high with books.

If you'd like to stay at an "away-from-it-all" place that isn't far from a boatload of activities (kayaking included), Bold Colorful LIfe is a great choice.

Room Tip: Though I didn't stay in the Farmhouse, the Amethyst Room there has a spectacular view.
Courtenay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Bold Colorful Life Inn was the perfect getaway spot for a reunion with friends. The Inn and surrounding property served both as a peaceful escape from the throngs enjoying the New England Fall colours, and a jumping off spot for a variety of sightseeing adventures including galleries, shopping, hiking, delicious seafood and more. Melissa is an enthusiastic host who knows the area well, and made great recommendations for activities. The accommodations at The Cape are charming, cosy, clean and self-contained. The bed was firm and comfortable, each bedroom has its own bathroom, and the kitchen is fully equipped.
I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The serenity and beauty of this farmhouse retreat was matched only by the stunning views of the river. Rooms and common areas were immaculate, amenities were top notch and the innkeeper gave us a warm welcome and was great at recommending restaurants, hikes and places to visit in the area. The porch and gathering room were wonderful places to relax, and the big farmhouse table was the scene of many lively conversations. Perfect retreat for a family or friends reunion!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the river is great, but you can also enjoy the view from the gathering room an...
Fullerton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This retreat center is not on the beaten track for Boothbay. If you want to be on top of the town this is not for you. It is a comfortable drive to the town of Boothbay. The thing that amazed us the most was IT IS DARK. We haven't stayed at a place where the nights were so dark. Has to do with it not having much ambient light. With 15+ acres of beautifully landscaped property with waterfront access, it was great. Sunsets were beautiful as was the one sunrise we got up to see. This is a unique inn as it really is more of a retreat center than your typical B&B. There are meditation areas set up on the property, a wonderful fire pit and great strolling trails.
Melissa was a great hostess and you can tell she loves her property and what she is doing with it. Be aware that this property will forever be under development. Melissa will never stop changing things.

Room Tip: The rooms are named for different colors, hence the name of the Inn. We liked the lavendar room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BoldColorLife, Owner at Bold Colorful Life Estate, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
What a pleasure to have this California couple add the Bold Colorful Life Estate to their 3 week vacation itinerary. We felt honored to join The Inn on Golden Pond as one of their destination sites...and delighted to spend 5 mornings learning about their lives on the other side of the country...and sharing local sites where they might have fun wandering and experiencing. Each night, they came back for tea and cookies and shared their day's events. We got to know their 'children'....through gorgeous pictures of their many cats. They truly became a warm part of the growing Bold Colorful Life family.
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Inn has dangerous stairs and slippery decks. No "no skid" cover on the decks to the recycling bins. There is a mat but it is not covering much. There needs to be a trail with non slip tar paper or cover. We were told to recycle and I did my part when I fell and was injured. I was lucky, my artificial hip was not damaged. I only needed stitches to my elbow. No bones broken. The owner told me she was so sorry I got hurt and pointed out at the same time that our group had signed a disclaimer.She was not liable and obviously unwilling to share in the $ 900+ we had to pay. When I told her that I was lucky that I did not damage my artificial hip, she told me her place was "not intended for handicapped people". The second house has very steep stairs and ropes as railings. Add rain to the wooden planks and even people that are not "handicapped can slip." The place is really not suited for commercial use as an inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bcarter101
This was a really amazing group....'plein air' painters from the South East region of the US.....well over 20 in number and many stayed here at the Bold Colorful Life Estate vacation rental. It was an honor to have them and to watch them as they painted the estate and the peninsula. These professional artists painted every day, despite the fact that 6 of the 7 days were pouring rain, often with high winds.
B, was, I think the only non-painter/spouse in the group and we made sure she had access to the list of activities in the area that would be fun and interesting....tough to do in the pouring rain. The decks and porches did get very wet...and the three non-slip mats on the Cape porch and one on the stairs also got wet. We were exceedingly sorry when we got B's voicemail that she had fallen...and immediately expressed our apology and concern. (We haven't had a guest fall anywhere on the estate in the 5 years that we have been open for guests.) By the time I attended the artist's show, to see what all these gifted artists had created, B was angry and threatening legal action. After a bit of gentle consolation, I did remind her that our agreement was that the group cover any untoward events. We didn't hear another word from her, until this review. We appreciate the feedback and are currently looking into adding more non-slip mats on the decks and stairs, without having this visually charming place look too much like a gymnasium....so we'll be ready should we have another week of 'hurricane-like downpours'.
Thanks for coming, Plein Air Painters of the Southeast, and do come back again. You make the site even more bold and colorful!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boothbay
Tugboat Inn
White Anchor Inn
White Anchor Inn
#4 of 7 in Boothbay
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa

Been to Bold Colorful Life Estate? Share your experiences!