“Mostly happy with our stay”

Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Blue Hill
Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blue Hill
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Pros: room was clean, comfortable, quiet. The restaurant was really, really good: great beer selection, friendly service, casual food with a eye to local ingredients. Not fancy, just very high quality pub food, including great desserts made on site.
Con: it is very sad to have to write this because I would have liked to reccommend this place without reservation,but the breakfast was a jarring contrast to the amazing meal in the restaurant. While continental breakfast can be fine, this was what you'd find in the Super 8. It is beyond wrong to serve fake blueberry muffins ( jiffy?) in Maine. There is so much good local food in Blue Hill that Yoplait and Kellogs is just inexcusable.
However, my husband was not as put out as I (he accuses me of being a breakfast snob) and I would go back.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chellie R

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We live nearby and eat at Barncastle all year...more so in the winter! We visited last in December with our three sons and had a great meal. Pizza and mussels and great salad. All fresh ingredients. The restaurant was chilly, we wished that the fireplace near us was lit. Service was mediocre, server was efficient but not overly friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MamaMeg
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Excellent, relaxed atmosphere--and food that is delicious, interesting, and very well-prepared. In the cold weather months, the pub room with its blazing fire is deeply welcoming. In warm weather, the dining areas are kept pleasantly cool.
The crabcakes are the best we've ever had in any restaurant: there is no filler; they are all crab! The wood-fired pizza is extraordinary. The steamed mussels are A+. On the menu, there's something for everybody. Also, the wine and beer selection is excellent. And there's a full bar.
Prices are very reasonable, especially for food and service of this high quality. We go every Tuesday evening, and we're always glad we did!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Miklos7
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed at Barncastle while attending a 1 week training at Wooden Boat School in Brooklin. Wooden Boat is an easy 20 minute drive away. I did not wish to stay in Brooklin as I wanted to be able to get away to work after class. I stayed in Suite 2 on the second floor, which is a 2 room suite. The room was in the front of the hotel, right on the road. Road noise was loud and there was no A/C, but I found that if I opened the window until I went to bed, the 50 degree outside temp had made the room comfortable. When the weather did heat up later in the week, the staff provided a window aircondition for the bedroom. The bed was very comfortable. There is a small mini fridge and microwave in the room which is handy. The flat screen tv came in fine. I did not try the pull out couch. I ate twice at the restuarant and had a very nice meal both times. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank cornbread35
Reviewed November 9, 2010

The old place has some charm, but the rooms are really a sideline and they don't really know how to run a B&B. Altho' the restraurant closes at 8 or 9, the clean up go on a while so it stays noisy if you are early to bed. And despite what the website leads you to believe, this is way out on a lonely highway, several miles from Blue Hill, which is not much anyhow. You have better options (like Castine)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tomfc
Reviewed October 14, 2010

The rooms are beautiful, but the sleeping... If you try to get to sleep before 10:15 pm, forget it. The entire downstairs is a restaurant/pub, and while the clientel isn't rowdy, any noise and music drifts into the rooms above. The owner is aware of the problem and intends to install soundproofing between the floors. Until then, bring earplugs. The place had been abandoned for five years before the current owners bought it three years ago. They've done a lot of work, but much needs to be done. The plan is to eventually make the downstairs into rooms too, and move the restaurant/pub to a building in the back.

My mother stayed in a separate room and was quite pleased with the place. We stayed six nights. Breakfasts were Continental, but always included something warm and homemade like apple cake or donuts. There is also two kinds of cereal, yogurt, bananas, raisins, orange juice, milk, and granola bars. The only truly worrisome event was when my mother was unable to unlock her door. Fortunately she had given me the key from the beginning. I managed to get it open, but not without causing considerable anxiety. My husband then pulled the doorlock assembly apart, only to discover a missing screw and every component loose. He tightened everything and reinstalled it. Even without the missing screw, it now works beautifully. The owner was notified.

There aren't a lot of places to stay in the Blue Hill area. This place is fine if you don't mind the noise until after 10. The restaurant food isn't bad either and offers vegetarian options.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Norge1919
Reviewed October 7, 2010

After reading other comments on this site, we almost didn't stay there. However, we decided to see for ourselves, and how happy we are that we did.
The rooms are absolutely fabulous, with modern restoration, in an elegant historic mansion.
The new owners (since 2007) were there every morning at breakfast. If you needed them at other times, they were available as they live on the property.
The restaurant could be a little noisy, but they close early enough, so that it does not interfere with sleeping.
Now let's talk about the restaurant! Among other things, the restaurant features pizza made in a wood-burning stone oven. My husband makes pizza from scratch and he's from Brooklyn NY. I won't eat anybody else's pizza. My husband said "If we lived near here I would never make pizza again. The pizza is that good."
I read comments on this site that the restaurant parking caused problems. On a number of nights on our stay, the restaurant was filled to capacity and the restaurant customers parked in the large parking lot on the side, near the restaurant entrance. Inn guests parked near the front in a seperate parking lot.
Finally, although the exterior could use a new coat of paint, the interior is extremely well kept and fastidiously clean.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LynnPC

Been to Barncastle Hotel + Restaurant? Share your experiences!