“Our Favorite Mexican Restaurant”

Los Tapatios Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 90 Restaurants in Biddeford
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We were very disappointed when Cancun Mexican Restaurant closed last fall, as it had become our favorite Mexican restaurant in the Portland area. So we were thrilled to learn that a new Mexican restaurant had recently opened in the same location. Our pleasure multiplied when we recognized a friendly familiar face or two from the former establishment.

We’ve tried Los Tapatios several times now, and think the food is even better than Cancun’s was. Everything we’ve had has been delicious, but this place really works magic with pork dishes. The carnitas and the pork burritos are incredible.

There are some good lunch deals available, served daily from 11:00-3:00, along with a selection of kids’ meals, vegetarian dishes, and a well-stocked bar. The frozen margaritas are great – and BIG!

For excellent Mexican food served in a friendly, welcoming environment, it would be hard to beat Los Tapatios.

19  Thank VOYJEAN

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I have had a lot of experience with Mexican food having lived and traveled in Mexico for 6 months. This comes the closest to the real thing. To boot the owner and staff are very hospitable.

3  Thank HennDogg1
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Being from San Antonio where Tex-Mex is king, it probably isn't fair to rate Cancun as so-so, but that's what it is. We came with extended family so there were eight of us all packed around some tables pushed together way at the back. Several things became apparent right away. 1) The A/C was hopelessly inadequate. The word sweltering comes to mind. 2) The wait staff were running around like pollos with their heads cut off. Confusion seemed to reign. 3) The bartender might have been in too big a hurry - my wife's premier frozen margarita was loaded with tequila while mine contained not a drop. None. Nada. She was getting looped while I was gulping mine down like a flavored-ice drink that it was.
The food was mediocre at best. Not good. Not bad. Everything seemed warmed up from cans, even though it probably wasn't. The refried beans bland, although not offensively so. The pre-entree chips and sausa were acceptable. Unfortunately I took our host at his word ("Everything here is great...") and ordered the chili relleno. Well, it wasn't all that bad, but not that good either. The wife had similar comments about her enchiladas. OK, but nothing to bring us back for a second visit.
The ambiance was authentic Biddeford, Maine, basement. Damp. Muggy. Musky smell lurking behind the smell of food cooking. Attempts were made to make the place colorful and "Mexican," but the overall impression was "centuries-old basement."
The wait staff were eager to please and accommodating, but inept and seemingly direct from the unemployment office. Kind-heartedness and warmth are great, and both go a long way towards making up for ineptitude and lack of training, but in most better restaurants the wait staff know how to wait tables.
But, I guess if you've never had good Mexican food before, it beats Taco Bell.

1  Thank LoneStarDad
Reviewed August 23, 2011

What a diamond in the rough! To enter into this amazing dining experience my first time I absolutely wondered what I would be encountering as I entered the first door. As I entered the second door and was greated at the door like I was an old family friend. The food, the attentive staff, price point, and atmosphere was nothing short of grand! I have got to say I have returned often with the same experience always.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

Really good mexican food with friendly, efficient service. I love this place because they have tamales, only other place with tamales is 30 minutes away in Portland. The mole sauce very good. The shrimp ceviche was delicious as well. We would eat here 3 times a week if we could but we live a town over in Kennebunk... The atmosphere is really fun as well, they have a nice bar. The restaurant is unassuming when you first enter through the front door, but as you walk down the steps its like stepping into a party! Love this place!