“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #23 of 86 Restaurants in Biddeford
Cuisines: American
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I love Sea Star and have been going here for years but they have been going downhill for some time now. Food is good but the service is terrible. We waited for 40 minutes before we got our food. It's sad when 15 people are waiting for food and you have 3 people in the Kitchen just standing there, clueless. They also went out of line for tickets, which is a big NO NO in the kitchen. The owner needs to train his employees to use the kitchen--and if not, keep them only at cashier! For the day before 4th of July, I am embarrassed for them.

When I got home my steak egg and cheese on an english muffin--had very little steak (see pictures) and my father in-law's steak bomb was not toasted and had very little steak as well. He said it was the worst steak bomb he has ever had from Sea Star and in general.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Laelwa
startastic, Owner at Sea Star Market, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
I'm so sorry to read about your experience. Being the 3rd of July in "Vacationland" it sounds like we were overwhelmed, but that's not an excuse for poor service or food. I, the owner was working in the kitchen that morning. Some people do ask for the steak and cheese toasted, which we gladly do, as it is now and has always been one of our top selling items. We have started asking every customer and the results are about 50/50. Thanks for your comments, without them it would be hard to strive for the kind of perfection I strive for everyday, for all of our customers. I do hope you'll give us another chance, if you do, find me (Patrick), and lunch is on me!

massachusetts
“Unexpected pleasure! You'll be glad you stopped!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is a gem of a place. Really solid food that has all the right touches. Terrific sandwiches, good fried food, and very reasonably priced. Our new favorite for a quick bite.....gas station food

• Visited June 2013
Maine
“Great place to stop for a bite”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The sandwiches are fresh and tasty, the Green Mountain coffee is very good, the groceries and gas pumps are convenient. You really can't go wrong.

• Visited January 2013
“Love stopping here!”
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Sandwiches are great. Staff is friendly. Their pizza's are good and it's pretty much a one stop shop. I like stopping here in the mornings for coffee and a Danish from the pastry display.

Portland, Maine
“Not what you might expect from a gas station”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the review by the parent who was rather surprised that her daughter suggested that they get dinner at Sea Star. I think UNE built its new sidewalks to accommodate all the students filing over to Sea Star for lunch. They are lucky that the food at Sea Star is so good, seeing as there aren't any other alternative quick lunch options near UNE.

I was skeptical, too, at first. Only in Maine have I encountered gas stations with really excellent deli food or sandwiches. Maybe it's because so few of the gas stations appear to be owned by mega-corporations? Whatever the explanation, the sandwiches, soups, and desserts at Sea Star are nothing like the rubbery, suspicious, cellophane-wrapped mysteries that most American gas stations try to pass off as food.

It's definitely worth your time to stop in for one of Sea Star's freshly made sandwiches. They're not only filling (many of them are served on substantial rolls, so ask if you want a bread that's a little lighter), but they're also very good. I'm really partial to the BLT, but the egg salad sandwich and the chicken salad are excellent too. In the morning you can get all sorts of hot breakfast sandwiches and fresh blueberry muffins. If you're heading off to a picnic, there are plenty of beer, wine, or soda selections for you to consider. If you want to stay, there's a picnic table out front. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited March 2012

Been to Sea Star Market? Share your experiences!