“A happy place for a lady with big feet!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Marden's Surplus and Salvage
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Biddeford
Wilmington, Delaware
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A happy place for a lady with big feet!!”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Oh, this chain of store help illustrate the state of Maine' s motto, "The way life should be." I go there because I can almost always find shoes for my extremely wide feet that don't look like orthopedic high heels! I just got two pair of Clark shoes in 10WW that were marked at $19.99 and then 20% off that!
I had not been to the Biddeford store before Jan 2014 - but it was even better than the other installations I had visited. You name it, they seem to have it.
If you are a bargain shopper, put this chain of stores on your GPS!

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Trish1225

Biddeford, Maine
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Bargains, bargains, bargains . . .”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Though the store is a bit worn out - this is a great place to shop for the ultimate in bargains! Most items that I purchase seem to be about 50% off of other retailer's prices. If you enjoy "hunting" for a good bargain this is your place! Recent bargain finds - Timberland 3 pack of thick outdoor socks $4, Kenneth Cole Wool Jacket $40, Carter's sleepers for babies $3, Planter's Chocolate & Cherries Peanut Butter $1, New York Times Best Seller Novels $1 . . . love this place!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank MaineMissy04005
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“MARDEN'S IN ELLSWORTH, MAINE IS A REAL SURPRISE”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I love Mardens. I go to Marden's at least twice a week to see what's new. The twenty minute drive from Bar Harbor is lovely with the autumn leaves.

Of the many Mardens stores in Maine, one of the best is in Ellsworth, Maine at 461 High Street. One may find the eclectic, odd, unusual, necessary and even the rare and valuable. The prices are unbeatable. Some of my best purchases have been a Herman Miller chair and two antique hand woven Persian carpets. Also, four beautiful original art deco pieces: mirrored hall table, bedroom dresser, ladies mirrored bedroom table and a brass and mirrored lamp which are all beautiful in their antique patina.

Because Martin's deals in surplus and salvage, they find their wares in rather unusual places: fire sales, going out of business purchases, and even train wrecks. Going to Marden's seems almost an archeology expedition because one may find a statuette from Africa, hammered metal table from Afghanistan, antiques from New York and products made mostly in the USA. Nails, stainless steal screws, washers from the smallest to largest are sold by weight. Sometimes Marden's has fine quality appliances and sinks. As well, they have a good flooring department.

I purchased not only wood flooring for three rooms but also all the construction supplies, sinks, paint and faucets to build an office and quarters for a horse trainer in my barn.

From art to zippers, Marden's has it. The one disadvantage is that Marden's doesn't carry everything all the time. It depends on what the truck brings. They do have a good selection of fabric, furniture, toys and fine quality mattresses just about all of the time. They have a motto, "I should have bought it when I saw it at Mardens." Their shoe department has working boots, ballet shoes, running shoes and pretty party shoes. There is a great pet department, too. The clothing departments sell name brands at very good prices. There is also a kitchen isle with gadgets, pots, pans and baking pans. The food isle offers candy, soups, cereal, jams, etc. This week, there are oriental carpets and Halloween costumes. I always want to buy some beautiful or useful object, but my husband said we have plenty of everything. (I told him I found the Chippendale occasional chairs by the side of the road as it is. But I guess we all know by now where they came from...)

By the way, Marden's has an excellent return policy. The customer service motto is "The customer always comes first."

I must say a word about the employees. Being at Marden's makes me happy because the employee's are friendly, professional and most helpful. The management team is hands on and walk the store regularly. When something can't be found someone will call on their radio and locate it. Sometimes an employee will walk with me to point to the object. I really feel as though I am among friends at Marden's, as their greetings often include my first name.

As I drive to the Marden's in Ellsworth I anticipate what surprise awaits me at the store.

Visited September 2013
9 Thank dorothy H
Merrimack, New Hampshire, USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“This place is fun...and dangerous for your wallet”
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I always visit this store on our trip to Maine and have such fun looking at all of the random deals. It's so easy to fill up a cart without even thinking about it. We did buy one thing that I had seen online and when we got it home and opened the package we found that it did not include several pieces that were included with the one online. We will be returning that item. We were able to find some great deals though and had a lot of fun in the process.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank AbbyG401
hebron maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Hit or miss!”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

With bar code scanning as an app I found the item less money at another store. One must be aware that not everything is cheaper at Mardens. You have to check in often and only buy would u came in for in the first place. Check expiration on all food and beauty products.