“Charming, lovely place to stay”

Holidae House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
“Charming, lovely place to stay”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our short stay at this absolutely charming B&B which has a touch of English class, is warm and welcoming, and is well located. Breakfast was fantastic, the best we've had on our trip, and was made specially early for us! Highly recommend this lovely place!

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful B&B. Our hosts were delightful and so personable. We thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay. We had room #5 on the first floor which was large as well as cozy. We would highly recommend staying with the Austin's. Besides breakfast was awesome. Think we actually were having a little pancake with our Maine blueberries. Yummy.

• Stayed October 2013
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed October 4, 2013

When we first arrived in the parking area, I thought “What have I gotten ourselves into?”
When we left, I thought “Why in the world would anyone want to stay in a motel when they could stay here?”

I have a severely bad back and I looked at the beautiful four poster queen bed in our large first floor room with some trepidation. The following morning I awoke with absolutely no back pain at all - very rare for me. The shower was delightful. Plenty of hot water and no silly water saver shower head.

Now we come to Lawrence, the proprietor. I never really got the English butler thing. Now I do. Lawrence is a delight - complete with proper English accent. When you’re in company with Lawrence you feel - well, you’ll just have to come and find out for yourself. I just wish he and his lovely wife lived next door to us.

The parlor room is very comfortable with its wing back chairs and fireplace. The big surprise, for me at least, was a small side table replete with a selection of very fine spirits and cordials. No charge - just help yourself, if you wish. Look for that when you next check into a Hilton. Good luck!

Breakfast is served is a well appointed dining room. Good silverware and linen napkins.
Lawrence starts you off with a scone and home made preserves. I could have easily stayed with a couple more scones and called it quits. If healthy is your thing, a buffet of home made cereals, granolas, etc. await you. My intuition told me this was not the time for that. I placed my order for a single slice of French toast with genuine maple syrup, scrambled eggs (from his own chickens, if you can believe) and home made sausage.
When my order arrived, I thought “I can’t possibly eat all this.” But I did. I skipped lunch and at 6 PM I still wasn’t hungry. It had to be the single best breakfast I have ever had.

This is NOT your typical B&B. It is a gem. If I lived in Maine, I think I would stay at Austin’s once a month simply to sit in the parlor and enjoy a conversation with Lawrence followed by a really good night’s sleep, great shower and that fabulous breakfast.

Thank you, Lawrence. It was delightful. I won’t easily forget our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I was in town for my 30th highs school reunion, we choose Holidae house because of all the positive comments on trip advisor, the owners Lawrence and Marcia were just delightful, very friendly people, they are absolutely in the right business! The breakfast were good, my husband had the French toast, made with homemade bread and he loved it! I has eggs to order and they were just fine.

The inn keepers provide after dinner drinks such as Baileys for their guest and fresh baked cookies in the afternoon too.

We had room (6) on the first floor, the room was a little small and it doesn't have a closet or a bathroom door! It has curtains between the bedroom and bath, a little unusual but no big deal for us, we've been married for a while!

The only real complaint I had was that the mattress was too firm for my liking but my husband thought the bed was okay for him. Our room was clean and quiet, especially for being on the first floor.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had just one night there, way too a short but it was memorable.
We were given a warm welcome by Lawrence and as it was 6.30pm we were able to partake in an evening cap :-) I do love Baileys, but there are many choices available.

The room was very comfortable with a private bath. The shower was great.
Lawrence was a fanastic host. He told us about the bar down the street, Suds, and recommeded a few restaurants.
In the morning, we had the most delicious breakfast; I had home made ganola and french toast, good coffee and home made bread. My boyfriend had eggs with bacon, which were cooked to perfection. Even the OJ was great!

Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Austin Holidae House B&B is a wonderful bed and breakfast that was a highlight of our trip. We spent several days meandering around Vermont, New Hamshire and Maine for our own personal fall folliage tour. We spent two nights at this great little B&B. Lawrence and Marcia (the proprietors) are extremely friendly and customer service oriented folks. They went above and beyond to ensure we had a great visit with them. I asked for a room upgrade if possible. Lawrence moved things around to allow us the upgrade and then choose not to charge us for the larger room! The breakfasts were outstanding!!! Home-baked breakfasts breads, afternoon cookies, local pressed apple cider, everything was delicious. The house has a wonderful charm with each room decorated in Victorian style. There is also a wonderful front porch with several chairs to just sit and enjoy the day. We will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The only reason I rated the sleep quality is because the beds are queen size and we're used to k...
Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Months ago I booked room5 which was confirmed by management because it had 2 beds in it .We arrived early and went up the street to have some lunch .On return we were told room 5 wasn't available but we could have room 1 or 2 .As my wife explained she's a bad sleeper and that was the reason for wanting the 2 beds .They did offer a blow up mattress on the floor .

Management had ample time to email and explain they had made a mistake and double booked room 5 .When we first walked in there ,we could have been told allowing us time to search for other accommodation .They chose not to do so and I don't believe they made a mistake .
Apart from this the room was noisy .
We only booked this place on T A references
The breakfast in the morning was good
I would not recommend this place

1 Thank Pete056
LaurenceandMarcia, Owner at Holidae House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
First, we again apologize for our error, which indeed we did not notice until the afternoon of your arrival. We had you for one of our larger rooms, and didn't see the notation that you wanted 2 beds. By that time we had already booked a couple with children into the room with two beds, and yes you were moved into one of our other larger rooms, but with only the queen bed. We know how important getting a good night's rest is when you travel and we regret that you did not enjoy your time with us. Had you said something we would have tried to find you alternate accommodations. We never want our guests to be unhappy, and we do apologize.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn
The Victoria Inn
The Victoria Inn
#8 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Holidae House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!