“Cozy, quaint and comfortable”

The Inn at the Rostay
Ranked #4 of 16 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2007

This was our second stay at Rostay, and it just keeps getting better! The owners make you feel like it's your own home away from home. Kathy and Al are so warm, friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and decorated tastfully with a cozy, country charm. They even have a firepit nestled at the woods edge to enjoy. But we looked forward to the delicious breakfast they served each morning....what a way to start the day.

Thank you to Kathy and Al, we cant wait to come back next year!!! Scott & Lori

Reviewed September 29, 2007

I have been staying at the inn every year for the past 5 years. I have always found the rooms to be comfortable, clean and well furnished. The service is excellent and I feel like I have been treated like a family member by the owners and staff. This is my favorite hotel and I look forward to my trip there every year! I highly recommend the inn to all!

Reviewed September 29, 2007

This 2007 Sept. trip was a first for us at the Rostay, however are friends have stayed for the last 5 / 6 years, All of the wonderful atmosphere / service stories our friends shared prior to the stay proved to be positively true. the rooms where a pleasant surprise, Kathy is very kind and friendly to talk with, Al behind the scene makes a great morning breakfast
then there is Ruger (their dog) a playful fun to be around always at the ready to chase a ball and bring it back golden retriever.

The bottom line::::: I can't wait to go back next year!!

Reviewed September 28, 2007

I have booked and stayed (roughly the same) weekend at the Inn at Rostay for 6 years. The rooms are clean and quaintly decorated, the location is convenient and easy to access, a fantastic breakfast is available at the Inn, the gift/quilt shop is stocked with beautiful hand-crafted items and local gifts, there is a hot tub that's clean and always functional, and a perfect area out back with a fire ring and covered picnic table that has provided hours of enjoyment for my family and friends for 6 years. We always come late in the year, so we have never had the opportunity to use the pool, but I bet that if we had asked Kathy and Al, they would have uncovered it for us and provided warmed towels! That's just the kind of people they are! Kathy and Al have gone above and beyond for us in every aspect - and they are the most polite people you can meet - extremely accommodating! They have made us feel at home on every trip. Most of our group lives in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Vermont; a pretty short trip to Bethel, Maine - but we go for the atmosphere, and hospitality provided by Kathy and Al. We could stay anywhere we want to - but we choose the Inn at Rostay - and we will continue to do so - it's been the BEST trip of the year for 6 wonderful years standing - and I anticipate the same for years to come. Trust me.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 28, 2007

I have stayed at the Rostay about 5 times and every time I feel extremely satisfied with the room , service and the accommodations. The lady who runs the place ( not sure if I'm supposed to give names) is so nice and friendly. She cooks a great breakfast in the mornings and it is more than fairly priced , as well as it tastes good. The rooms are clean and comfortable. They provide a hot tub and an area to host a fire. The owner also provided wood for us to burn in the fire... I was totally shocked to read a poor review on this site , those people must travel with the Queen of England or something , because I don't think Canada has a queen. Bottom line is that this is a fantastic place for a weekend getaway and there are some beautiful scenic areas near by....

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 24, 2007

I have never written a review before - and can't think of a time I have ever felt the need to make a complaint about a room before now - but I was so terribly disgusted by our room and outraged and upset by our RUDE treatment by the owner when we tried to bring these few things to his attention (in a friendly and polite manner) - that I simply must WARN OTHERS AWAY from this HORRIBLE PLACE!!!!

My family and I were travelling home from a family vacation, and needed to stop overnight in a room. It was fairly late - 10:45pm - our 2 young kids were asleep and we just needed somewhere to sleep for a couple of hours. The first room we were sent to was dirty and had not been made up after the previous guests had left - thought nothing too much of it...and got another room..

Both our kids were sleeping so we kept the room fairly dark, just turned on the one light - and put the kids in the beds quickly so as not to wake them. Tried to turn on the HEATING for a few minutes to take the chill off the room - DIDN'T WORK. The main light in the luggage/fridge area burnt out - didn't let these thing bother me...went to bed. Didn't sleep all night -the BED was sooo UNCOMFORTABLE and OLD, sagging in the middle I could barely walk when I got up in the night to sit in a chair instead!! It was so noisy and creaky, every time I moved an inch it woke up my entire family!!
The next morning we noticed a fairly large STAIN on the sheets like blood or something that looked as though it had not even been washed at all - ABSOLUTELY no way it had been made by us, and still makes my skin crawl just thinking about it!!! If only we had seen it the night before we would have been out of there immediately even if there were nowhere else to stay! The "white" towells in the bathroom were old and very brown, and I would have been upset by this place even if it had been a really cheap motel (which it wasn't)! $90 for this filthy dump OFF season!
We decided to go to the office when checking out, to mention these things to the owner. Complaining is something I cannot stand to do - but in these extreme circumstances thought it was necessary!! We politely told him there were a few things that had bothered us - when he rolled his eyes. We mentioned the stain on the bed - most upsetting - and he said no way was that possible - his wife did the laundry - we were wrong and it was us that did it! No appology or concern just rudeness!! We mentioned the bed being so noisy and uncomfortable and just thought he should know - NO WAY - he keeps completely up to date with his mattresses! (well then he threw the new one out and kept the old one instead!! there's no way that was less than 10 years old!!) The light couldn't have been burned out as he just changed them (?!) and there was absolutely nothing he was willing to do to make us feel any better about the situation at all! He would admit to the first room not being cleaned - his wife's mistake - how could he not!? He was just so RUDE and argumentative and accusing - obviously doesn't give a hoot about customer service or satisfaction - he sneaked out the back way to look at the stain - my husband and kids said hello in the room -he ignored them yelled no way was that stain there and stormed out!

This experience has left us so upset we just have to warn anyone thinking of staying at this place STAY AWAY!!!! Even if there are no other rooms for miles away!! I would have been much happier sleeping in the car!!! There is absolutely no excuse for such RUDENESS and no one would want to pay for a room like that!!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank OttawaDaisy
Reviewed September 23, 2007

very disappointing stay. would not stay there again if it were free!! overpriced, uncomfortable squeeky beds, worn sheets and torn covers, stained towels, blood on shower curtain, no heat working, and when politely addressed the owner in the morning he was very rude, abrupt and made no attempt to even apologize! convenient location in bethel, however somewhat noisy next to the highway.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank onemoreoffthelist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
The Bethel Inn Resort
#8 of 16 in Bethel
Top Notch Inn
Top Notch Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham

Been to The Inn at the Rostay? Share your experiences!