“Comfy Old Inn & Great Breakfast”
Review of Chapman Inn

and 1 more site!
Chapman Inn
Ranked #6 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“Comfy Old Inn & Great Breakfast”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I've stayed here as a couple on several occasions and with my sister in April 2013 for a get-away. We do a lot of traveling and she loved it. The Inn is old, but comfortable. There are a variety of rooms to chose from , some nicer than others. Keep in mind that this is a very popular ski B&B. Not fancy, but the living room fireplace can be cozy with a good book on a quiet day or night. The price is reasonable . You won't find the hearty, delicious breakfast & stay anywhere in town for the money. We've tried a few. All unique in this charming historic town. If you enjoy a good story, get another cup of that wonderful coffee and ask Fred about his many exotic travels...and the resident ghost stories( friendly I hear). The location is perfect for a good walk , many restaurants, the Bethel Inn Golf course & entertainment on weekends, bike ride, river canoeing/kyaking ,Adventure Center my son grew up enjoying...fun outdoor areas to explore like Grafton State Park for hiking and moose hunting.We spend our time in Bethel in the Spring, Summer, & Fall. Great year round get-away, & I mean from it all!

Room Tip: Check the site for all the choices. Let Fred and Sandra know what your needs are for the right fit.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay at the Chapman! Gracious innkeepers and a hearty breakfast, all at reasonable rates. I cannot wait to come back! The French toast and custom roasted coffee will start any day off right!

• Stayed May 2013
boston
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed over parrothead weekend and was exactly what we were looking for. The innkeepers are incredibly friendly, great character and the price cannot be beat anywhere in the area, especially with the phenomenal breakfast included. So good, I came back up by myself two weekends later for sunday river's closing weekend and asked to stay in the dorm. Understandably so, the dorm was closed for the season cause did not make economical sense to heat entire place so offered me a great deal for my own room and private bathroom. The breakfast is really what makes it and all included. All meals are made to order with some of the best french toast I have ever had and delicious homemade blueberry muffins. Definitely would recommend it. Great stays both times and I will be back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Devon, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When we arrived we were a bit dissappointed, however when we settled in the Inn was quite pleasant and a real bargain. The most impressive feature were the owners; they were very helpful, made you feel at home and made our stay. Fred made the breakfasts and they were super good. The omlettes were great and we particularly enjoyed the French Toast. Fred even hosted a cooking session to train us on proper omlette preparation.

The Inn could use a little renovation, but for the price it was great. We met other guests who were really friendly and sociable. We would stay here again to ski Sunday River.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
fred n, Owner at Chapman Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for your nice comments. Just remember, make sure the pan is HOT, and your omelettes will come out perfect every time. Per your suggestions, we have started a major renovation on the inn, fresh paint and professionally landscaped, and a myriad of other projects. You might not recognize it when you come back!
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I and our two dogs stayed at Chapmen Inn for one week in late February. We had a great time. We needed to get away, relax and ski and hang out with our aging dogs. It was the perfect place. The Inn is located on the town square and it was quiet. We stayed in the two room unit and did use the kitchen a few nights for light dinners. The bed was very comfortable. The living room and dining area were very welcoming with comfortable seating in front of the fire place. Fred and Sandra were terrific. Fred cooks up a great breakfast. Other guests were really nice. As other reviewers have mentioned, Chapman Inn is old so don't expect luxury accommodations . But, if you want to amble up to Maine, chill out, enjoy the charm of an old town and old home, go home renewed and refreshed, this is the place. It worked for us.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here because of good reviews and were so disappointed. I'd guess because so many of the visitors are groups of high school and college kids, the place has sub-par repairs. Broken wood around the room and a partial broken frame around the bathroom full mirror, peeling wallpaper, cords hanging unattractively, poor lighting, old junkyard decor, old lumpy mattress, mildew, tiny no-pressure shower (no bath), paper-thin walls. I could hear my husband talking normally on his phone in our upstairs, around the corner , door-closed room when I was in the downstairs living room. Only one 3-prong electrical outlet, and you had to unplug the TV to use it. The color scheme is a garish purple, on purple, on purple. Some may think it quaint; it assaulted my eyes.

We thought the owners pleasant and and anxious & willing to accommodate hearty breakfast eaters. However, the famous blueberry muffins on the table were so burned I would not have served them to guests. I thought my omelette was terrible, though other may like thick, overcooked eggs around very few veggie fillings. We think teens and young people would like it, or families with kids. Certainly not a place for adults with higher standards. A nice book selection, though, and convenient to Sunday River.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TumblinSun
fred n, Owner at Chapman Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your input. While almost all of our reviews are very positive, we are sorry you did not enjoy your experience. It is true that after a long ski season, we do get a few nicks here and there, but we do make good use of our down time to address them. Most people complement our decorations, and it seems as if every one raves about our breakfast, but not everyone has the same tastes. All of our mattresses are less than two years old, so I don't understand how they can be uncomfortable. I do however, somewhat resent the fact that you insulted our guests. During ski season, a lot of people do like to travel as families, and if that includes their high school and college students, more power to them, and I found it very interesting that although you describe yourself as discerning adults, you posted a photo of your husband laying on the bed with his boots on. In any case, we thank you for your comments, and will address them as soon as posssible.
Sincerely
Fred & Sandra
Oxford
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We visited the Chapman Inn in early November 2012. The Inn is absolutely perfect. The owners are the sweetest and friendliest couple you could ever hope to meet. The rooms themselves are spacious with comfortable beds (I slept like a log) with very homely decorations. The breakfast in the morning was outrageously good with delicious coffee, freshly-baked blueberry muffins, omelettes made to order and freshly-squeezed juices. The incredibly friendly Fred told us about the area and told some very funny stories. Overall, a really lovely place with a great atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
The Inn at the Rostay
The Inn at the Rostay
#3 of 15 in Bethel
The Jolly Drayman at The Briar Lea Inn

Been to Chapman Inn? Share your experiences!