“Really Great Stay”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I am not sure what happened to some of the other folks, but I was upgraded to a huge room on the second floor of the Victoria.; It even had a loft in it. The bathroom was a great size ( I am 6'5") and had no trouble moving around in it. The bathroom was clean and there was no dirt anywhere. Further I could open the window (even though it was early November). I was shown to my room by a staff member who was very pleasant and asked me about my tip north. It was too late to eat dinner (11pm), but the staff offered me a meal of Duck that as still warm and only charged me a nominal fee and I got a desert . It was duck and it was delicious. The bed was a king so I slept like a baby. The staff the next morning was cordial and fed me well since I had an early meeting in town. It was two days of pampering by a friendly staff

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Locationscout1

Reviewed February 4, 2011

Before entering The Victoria Inn the outside Victorian architecture is beautiful. Such a wonderful dance of color and form. We were warmly greeted by Patti Thurston the owner and she offered us coffee and fresh cooked scones. Our room was very clean, warm and cozy. In the morning we were treated to wonderful breakfast. I had an delicious omelette that was made to order and ....oh so delicious! What a great experience and I would recommend to all my friend to stay at The Victoria Inn for their get-away vacation plans. Thank you Patti for making my stay to warm and welcoming.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cmorganartist
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Old outdated property that needs a makeover. The owner was not there and we were greeted by a strange man who just showed us our room and that was it. Rooms although clean were very dark and outdated. Bathroom also very dark and outdated. Breakfast was bad.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank The4fortysomethings
Reviewed October 28, 2010

A lovely victorian in a quiet, quality town with a very pleasant, professional resturant that the locals love and it is very reasonable. There are different size rooms but all have nice views of a New England inland town in the eastern White mountain range of Maine.

Reviewed October 26, 2010

Have been to Bethel many times doing motorcycle tours with other couples and have admired the Victorian Inn many times .I wanted to surprise my lady with a stay at the Inn as part of a New England B&B long weekend.The innkeeper was pleasant ,the room nicely appointed but a bit rough around the edges as was the rest of the inn and grounds,the bed and linens however were perfect , Dinner was served at a table we had reserved and we enjoyed the waitstaff and our choices , as well as the cocktails and wine list .
Breakfast was not up to B&B standards ; buffet ,steamer trays serving cold eggs[with kind of a powdered egg textured finish ,reminiscent of my service days] and cold bacon.

1  Thank potcake8
Reviewed October 24, 2010

For Sale sign leaned up against building, you get the picture. No way to control heat in room, window wouldn't stay open, almost died from heat overnight. Our worst B and B experience. A total ripoff.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

I would recommend this Bed and Breakfast but with several serous reservations. The house is an old Victorian structure, and rather impressive on the outside. Inside our room this aspect was less appealing. The chandelier had a bulb burned out and looked old and ugly, as did the other lamps; the plaster on the ceiling was cracked, and the bed was so high it felt dangerous. The room was clean and the other Victorian aspects like the very busy wallpaper were appropriate, although not our favorite. The bathroom was very small, but then we had an inexpensive room. The room was a bit hot (in October) and we tried to open a window a crack, but the large window was not counterbalanced and crashed down again; there was nothing to use to prop it open. The only cover except for the very heavy duvet was a single sheet, which turned out to be adequate given the heat in the room.

When we came to check in, at 4pm, no one was there to greet us, and the phone number we were to call for service turned out to be to the wrong person. But we knew our room number and took the our own key out of the nearby closet. Later when we met our hostess, she was very friendly and helpful.

We had dinner at the Sage restaurant in the Inn and this was the high point of the stay. The smoked salmon hors d'oeuvre and the duck breast and salmon entrees were excellent. The desserts, an expresso creme brulee and a baklava were out of this world.

At 7am while we were still trying to sleep the sound system in the dining room began to pound up through our room. Why one needs jazz vocals in the early morning for breakfast is beyond me, especially when it annoys to the guests trying to sleep upstairs. The breakfast was quite ordinary with scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. The freshly cooked biscuits were very good.

This is a pretty good choice but many things could easily to be improved in my estimation.