“A Night in a Former Era”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #7 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“A Night in a Former Era”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My husband and I stayed in a beautiful room with a settee in a bay window and an over-sized bathroom. Dinner was carefully prepared and exceptional. We were able to stay only one night regretfully, but highly recommend making the Victoria Inn a home base for exploring the White Mountains and folk art.

• Liked — The room itself and the service.
  • Disliked — Victorian furniture is not meant to be sat on for long.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Fareham, England
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights whilst travelling around New England, and without a doubt this has to be one of the finest B&B Inn's that we have ever stayed at in the USA. Stacey has exceptional people skills and makes you feel welcome and cherished from the moment you step through her door. When we left we felt as though we had known her forever.
The Inn is very well appointed and the rooms extremely clean and comfortable. We were in room 1 which was very elegant and the bed exceptionally comfortable. There is a communal lounge area as well and lovely grounds which we couldn't fully appreciate due to the bad weather.
Kamil produces lovely food, both at breakfast and dinner, the service is excellent and the wine list is very well chosen.

• Liked — Being made to feel a cherished guest
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
chicago illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We stopped at the Victorian while on a road trip. We were concerned that a place with such an exquisite looking dining room would be out of our price range, but were pleasantly surprised when the owner not only reduced the price, but reminded us that we also got 10% off their dinners!
The room was fantastic and had beds for several more people than we had.
The dinner was a true gourmet experience with quality ingredients and wonderful menu choices.
The owner, Stacy, had a way of making you feel as though you were the only guests in the Inn and she had all the time in the world for you.
I would go again in an instance.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — second floor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Murphys, CA
Reviewed October 9, 2008

The Victoria Inn is a very good New England B&B, but what makes it excellent is Stacy. She has great people skills and does her best to make your stay a memorable one. We had dinner there (10% off for those who stay) and all 4 of us had excellent meals. But, being Californians, we like wine with our dinner, and that's what made it even better. Stacy has an outstanding wine celler with about anything you might want. We had an excellent Syrah. But then Stacy topped it off by giving us a taste of a bottle 1927 Sherry. Smoothest after dinner drink I have ever tasted. The breakfast (included in room price) the next morning was also great. Had shirred eggs for the first time. Loved them. Also, if you have time go north on Hwy 26 to Grafton Notch State Park. Great place for water falls and hiking.

• Liked — Inn Keeper
  • Disliked — Beds too hard
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Huntington, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2008

This weekend was a surprise in that I won a free weekend at the Victoria Inn when I sent away to the Bethel Chamber of Commerce to request information on accommodations for a weekend camp visit. I was allowed to choose from different member lodgings and I chose the Victoria Inn. This turned out to be a really good call! Stacey, the owner, did not charge us for our son, even though the prize was only a weekend for two and we are a family of three. Not only didn't she charge us, she and her husband gave us the most spectacular room in the inn, a private suite with a good sized bedroom and living room, large and well appointed bath with bidet and jacuzzi tub as well as a loft upstairs where our son could sleep. Sorry I can't find my photos of all the rooms in the suite, but trust me the master bedroom and bathroom were great! (My son also appreciated the delicious home baked cookies that arrived in our room every afternoon. )The guest rooms and public spaces are decorated beautifully in Victorian style and there were more than a few gorgeous antiques. The front porch offers a great view of the main street in Bethel and we spent some time outside reading in rocking chairs. A full American breakfast was included and it was no Denny's Grand Slam. There were items like shirred eggs, homemade granola and homemade oatmeal pancakes on the menu. Everything was fresh and delicious. The coffee was also excellent. Dinner was just as good and once again, both meal and the service were stellar. Stacey is an extremely attentive hostess. She made sure our room was comfortable, our meals were to our satisfaction and that we had plenty to do while exploring the Bethel area such as visiting the alpaca farm which was so much fun and taking the Sunday River chairlift. By the time we left, Stacey and I just had to hug; I felt like I was leaving a family member. Next year, when I return to drop my son at camp, I will definitely return to the Victoria Inn. It is a beautiful, friendly and warm place to stay.

• Liked — I felt like the owners were really invested in our enjoyment of their inn.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Maine
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I just got back from a wonderful birthday weekend at The Victoria Inn. My husband contacted Stacy to arrange for birthday surprises for me and they both outdid themselves. There were delicious pumpkin iced cookies and specially requested cold diet coke (my favorite) waiting in our room upon arrival. There was also a gorgeous bouquet of flowers that Stacy had ordered on his behalf. We stayed in room 4 and loved the large bed, cool a/c, jacuzzi tub and sitting area. It was quiet and relaxing. Dinner was delicious, chicken piccata for me and salmon for my hubby. There was also a birthday cake so chocolatey and delicious waiting for me. They boxed up our leftovers and we stored them in our in room fridge. Breakfast the next morning was exceptional. Oatmeal pancakes for me and herbed scrambled eggs for hubby. We were so sad to leave the luxury and friendliness of the Inn. We are already thinking up excuses to visit again soon!

• Liked — Great food and attention to detail
  • Disliked — That we had to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scrappingtwinmom
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Wow - What a great place to stay...and eat. Our group spent a week touring Maine on Harley's and this was night 6. Staying in B&B's each night, there is no doubt The Victorian is an order of magnitude better than any inn we stayed at. The rooms, service, food, and most importantly conversation made for a memory none of us will soon forget. Stacey and her staff treat you like a very special guest and go out of their way to make you feel right at home. True story: We had been wanting to see a moose all week and in a last ditch effort asked the staff at The Victorian if there were any local places that might be a good bet to see this elusive beast. After a bit of discussion our server and Stacey came back with maps and plotted a "Moose Run" for us. Sure enough it was like "Que the Moose", with-in 30 minutes success, and we could now go home victorious. Thank you for showing us some Southern Hospitality in the moutains of Maine! John from North Carolina.

• Liked — The Victorian is the total package
  • Disliked — nothing