“This Inn is historic treasure.”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #8 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, Rhode Island
“This Inn is historic treasure.”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed there Feb 17, 2013 and it's now our favorite in the area (out about 6 other places we've stayed over 25 years of skiing Sunday River). The Victorian exterior of the Inn is so beautiful and ornate that I'd previously assumed the place would be more than we wanted to spend. The rate for a "standard" room is very reasonable at $129 in the middle of a school vacation week near a ski area. Pat has fancier rooms at higher rates. This has to be a real Victorian house; it has REAL character. Our bathroom was modern, quite new and spotless. Our room had its own thermostat that actually worked and was plenty big. The room had really cool Victorian style wallpaper and the bed was ornately carved wood which I’d assume was a genuine antique. The mattress was comfy. If you want to focus on small cosmetic imperfections as one other reviewer did, you can find some. The TV is standard definition (nothing I give a hoot about). The door to our particular room was a plain modern door out of character for the house. Having owned a 138 year old house myself, I can appreciate the work and money needed to maintain such a property. If you are expecting absolute gold-plated, five-star perfection, try one of the fancier rooms or more expensive B&B’s around the corner.
The breakfast was a buffet with a couple of egg dishes, cereals, whole grain bread for toast, bacon, fresh fruit salad and so on; perfect before a day of skiing. You eat on an ornate antique table with a white tablecloth in a Victorian sitting room with a huge bay window; very pleasant.
Sunday River happened to be closed the next morning due to high winds, so we had nowhere to go that morning. Pat made it a point to tell us we could take all the time we wanted checking out; we could have stayed there all day if we wanted. This place deserves your business; a building like this is a treasure.

Room Tip: Our room was ground floor, back right.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Last summer we had the strangest stay at a b&b ever. No one to be found when we were checking in - just the keys on a table and instructions to 'phone a number. No phone to be found (and we don't have a cell) so we just checked ourselves into a very hot and rather rundown room #3.

Just a tiny fan and not even a working screen for the window. Broken furniture and electrical outlet, spider webs - even a Motel 6 has more ambiance. The pictures tell the tale the best.

Finally met the pleasant owner the following morning and the breakfast was ok. Perhaps the other rooms are better, but I still have a hard time understanding the rave reviews.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 3!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank braincramp
Hendersonville, TN
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had a wonderful weekend here with my wife skiing at Sunday River. The Inn was cute and romantic, and actually very large. Pat, the innkeeper, was very friendly and accomodating and even cooked us up some hot breakfast early so that we could still make first tracks. Food was excellent and the room was comfortable and quaint. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in room #4. Very spacious with a comfy king bed and jacuzzi tub.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I wanted to get the girlfriend out of Rhode Island for the weekend so we ventured up to the Bethel area We wanted to see Sunday River and go hiking and wanted a Romantic inn to stay in while we were there. Boy were we blown away by Patti an the Victoria. She was the consummate host-helping us with sights to see, things to eat and where to find just what we wanted. She suggested eating at a restaurant and we loved it; she gave us a great room and my girlfriend was very pleased- a throwback to a bygone era. Also the breakfast was great Banana french toast and the homemade granola as top notch. How could we not love this place. We are going back next summer!!!!

Room Tip: we were on the second floor!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I could tell you about the beautiful room with the most comfortable bed ever, or about the breakfasts that made me want to stay forever-but I need to tell you about Pat. With an inn full of guests-she remembered our names. She gave us perfect suggestions for dinner out. But most impressive was her help with my iPhone. I forgot my charger at home and the closest store to get one was thirty minutes away. Since is was already late Friday and dark, we didn't want to venture out. She said she'd look around and to check back when we returned from dinner. As we're pulling out of the driveway, Pat comes running out triumphantly holding a phone charger! She stocks extra phone cords for her scatterbrained guests! I hugged Pat, my new best friend, because she spared us a trip to Walmart in Mexico, Maine. How great is that?!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I have stayed there twice... last February and this past weekend. We initially chose the Victoria inn because it is only a 5 minute ride to Sunday River ski resort and it was the least expensive place to stay in the area. We loved the simplicity of the rooms and the charming exterior. The owner welcomed us with cookies and a warm smile. We will come back again and again because of the extremely positive experience we've had both trips! The price of the standard room was more than reasonable and compared to the other hotels in the area, you're really not going to get a better deal than this. The breakfast was delicious and had something for everyone. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed January 2013
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Oh my, I was so relaxed and happy the moment I spoke with Pat on the phone.
We were greeted with homemade treats that were so good left me asking for more.
The rooms we were given were beyond expectation. My family and I had a great cooked to order breakfast the next morning that was just as delicious as the service.
Thank you for a wonderful time. See you again soon.

Room Tip: Just ask for the best and you shall receive :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family