My wife and I stayed there Feb 17, 2013 and it's now our favorite in the area (out about 6 other places we've stayed over 25 years of skiing Sunday River). The Victorian exterior of the Inn is so beautiful and ornate that I'd previously assumed the place would be more than we wanted to spend. The rate for a "standard" room is very reasonable at $129 in the middle of a school vacation week near a ski area. Pat has fancier rooms at higher rates. This has to be a real Victorian house; it has REAL character. Our bathroom was modern, quite new and spotless. Our room had its own thermostat that actually worked and was plenty big. The room had really cool Victorian style wallpaper and the bed was ornately carved wood which I’d assume was a genuine antique. The mattress was comfy. If you want to focus on small cosmetic imperfections as one other reviewer did, you can find some. The TV is standard definition (nothing I give a hoot about). The door to our particular room was a plain modern door out of character for the house. Having owned a 138 year old house myself, I can appreciate the work and money needed to maintain such a property. If you are expecting absolute gold-plated, five-star perfection, try one of the fancier rooms or more expensive B&B’s around the corner.
The breakfast was a buffet with a couple of egg dishes, cereals, whole grain bread for toast, bacon, fresh fruit salad and so on; perfect before a day of skiing. You eat on an ornate antique table with a white tablecloth in a Victorian sitting room with a huge bay window; very pleasant.
Sunday River happened to be closed the next morning due to high winds, so we had nowhere to go that morning. Pat made it a point to tell us we could take all the time we wanted checking out; we could have stayed there all day if we wanted. This place deserves your business; a building like this is a treasure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Victoria Inn is a bed and breakfast inn in Bethel, a charming and historic village located the western Maine mountains region. This historic 19th century inn, previously known as the Bethel Inn, has been lovingly restored with the decor and antiques of the romantic Victorian period. We are pleased to offer a variety of lodging accommodations including standard rooms, superior and deluxe rooms, as well as multi-room family suites with lofts. All rooms are decorated with Victorian period furnishings, and offer private baths, cable TV, and room phones with data ports. A delicious full cooked breakfast is included with all of our accommodations. The Victoria Inn is within a short walk to shopping, movie theaters, one of the two renowned local golf courses as well as to Gould Academy, and the National Training Laboratories facilities. Bethel offers a wealth of opportunities for activities including skiing and snowboarding, golfing, hiking, fishing, rafting, and more. Whether you are seeking an active holiday, a romantic getaway, a wedding or anniversary celebration, scenic touring, or a family vacation, plan on staying with us at The Victoria Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your The Victoria Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Victoria Hotel Bethel
- The Victoria Inn Bethel, Maine