“So easy to ski”

Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bethel
“So easy to ski”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand Summit again this year, the ease of checking in, ski check, ski in and out make for a fantastic stay.
The only fault we had, and it was a biggie, was that the pillowcase was stained in what appeared to be blood. After a long day at work, and the commute, the last thing we wanted at 11pm was to deal with this. We called the front desk and house keeping came and changed all our linens and replacement pillows.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boston area
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We've stayed here a few times now and have enjoyed every stay. Love the slopeside location, ski checkin room, breakfast buffet, and heated pool with hot tub. The staff has been great every time, going out of their way to make our stay great. Our room had a separate bedroom for the parents, a living room with murphy bed for the kids, a kitchenette, and a bathroom - everything you need.
Only downside we've seen is the cost of dinner at the hotel restaurant Legends. Most entrees start at $30+, not particularly family friendly. We either go somewhere else or have pizza delivered from Homeslice Pizza in Bethel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ACABThomas
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over for 2 night for New Years Eve. Great location, slope side, can ski down toward lift chairs just out of cafe. But said cafe was out of hot cocoa for 2 days and would only provide greasy subs/pizzas... Nice lobby with fireplace, heated outdoor pool and hot tub made for memorable night watching snow, mountain and feeling brisk winds. Great gym but sauna (electric) wasn't hot. Room is spacious with kitchenette but once bed is unfolded you sleep with your head against a noisy fridge and hear everything from hallway. Not what you dream of for a $900, 2 nights, 2 adults get away. Major issue was lack of quality food. Had to wait in line for breakfast, just to be "fried" after sitting for 30 min just behind the omelette-crepes station. Dinner was just ok, "savory, creamy white beans casserole" was a spoon of hard white beans spread on plate straight from the can. Cocktails were lame and made with no bartender flair. Had the impression that food is just convenience assembled by kitchen aides from cheap stuff behind kitchen doors. And any alternative for dinner involves driving or using (very efficient and convenient, though) shuttle service to other resorts. A bit disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Just got back from this disappointing hotel.
This was the second time we got there on Christmas time, ski and stay deal with a large group.
Last year we booked a one bedroom unit for me and my two kids,when I got there I was told that I need to pay an "empty bed fee" of $100 since we were only three and the unit is for four people ,
The unit was just ok but we had good time skiing.
This year I have booked one bedroom unit again,only this time for me and my three kids
Unfortunately on the last minute one of my kids could not joined us and when we got there I was told by the the manager that there is nothing they can do about it.
I asked them to charge me that empty bed fee like last year ,or at least give me credit so I can spend it at the mountain,they told me that they will talk to the head of the group
But nothing was done they did not even refund me the ski lift ticket after I gave it back to them when we checked in.
The room we got was in a section that was renovated , but the shower drain was blocked,one of the stove-top heating element did not work.
The only good thing in this place was the "legend" restaurant which we enjoyed very much.
I will not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Bethel hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I checked into The Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River on the second weekend of November to start off this years ski season. Monica was a great help when booking my ski & stay package. The hotel and room looked brand new. The room was spacious with a private balcony with beautiful scenic vistas. I was up before the restaurant opened and had a look around the resort and noticed them setting up a continental breakfast buffet in one of the meeting rooms. I asked if this was a private event and was told it was the resorts new hire orientation. The person in charge of the orientation was a true service professional when he said, “Go ahead and come on in and have a muffin and some coffee”. That was great customer service. After chatting I went to the Moonstruck restaurant where Jason prepared me an outstanding breakfast. He was training a new cook but the best training was his example of how great he interacted with the guests. Sincerely friendly without going overboard or being intrusive. I could tell in the first hour of the morning that this place has a great organizational culture. The snow was great; the mountain well groomed which made for delightful skiing. They have a motto “Go With The Flow” you see signs around the resort and on the mountain. I liked that. I was having lunch at Barker Mountain Lodge and I complimented Teresa on her Go With The Flow pin on her hat. She took it off and gave it to me, it’s still on my ski jacket. I had a perfect fine dining experience in Ledgions Restaurant. Another great breakfast from Jason the following day and when walking through the lobby the director of food and beverage greeted me and asked how I was enjoying my stay. Anyplace with a good mountain and snow and give you good skiing – but only a friendly group of people with a sincere care and concern that your having a pleasant stay can give you a great ski trip. Congratulations for a job well done to all of the associates at Sunday River Ski Resort.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in a 2 room suite. There was a queen with a TV in one room and a pull-out and a murphy (along with another TV) in the 2nd room. There was also an oven, stove and frij....if you travel with a group of couples, split up the cost of the room, and fill the frij with beer/wine...the place makes a lot of sense. It will need modernizing some day but it was clean enough. The ski porter service was very friendly and it was so convenient to ski out right to the lifts close by. Our kids really enjoyed the indoor pool. One other nice feature is the free parking. A lot of other places (Mt Washington, etc..) charge for valet. Here it is free and the courteous bell staff really hussles as they are compensated by tips alone...made me feel like opening my wallet a little wider. On the negative side, the pricey restaurant did not deliver. Our order came out wrong in several ways (over-cooked steak, unrequested sauces put on dishes, sides forgotten). Its a good-looking crew, which is nice, but it could use better oversight until it is brought up to speed:)

Overall, I would recommend this place for its convenience and friendly staff...but I might venture over to the Pheonix or elsewhere for dinner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank HinghamPonch
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed here in October for the big Sunday river kick off weekend. We were not impressed with this hotel at all. Everything in the hotel is outdated, it looks like it hasn't been updated in 20+ years. The rooms are not so great either. the beds are uncomfortable and the deck door and windows would not open and close properly. This would be a prime hotel in winter based on its proximity to the mountain, but compared to other slopesise hotels we have stayed in on the west coast, this is the worst. Also be mindful of your bill at checkout, the person who checked out the day we checked in charged a bunch of food/ alcohol to the room after they checked out and it showed up on our bill. This was fixed after they verified room charge receipts.

• Stayed October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Town & Country Inn and Resort
#3 of 15 in Bethel
Norseman Inn
Norseman Inn
#10 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River? Share your experiences!