“Bad experience”

Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bethel
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Just got back from this disappointing hotel.
This was the second time we got there on Christmas time, ski and stay deal with a large group.
Last year we booked a one bedroom unit for me and my two kids,when I got there I was told that I need to pay an "empty bed fee" of $100 since we were only three and the unit is for four people ,
The unit was just ok but we had good time skiing.
This year I have booked one bedroom unit again,only this time for me and my three kids
Unfortunately on the last minute one of my kids could not joined us and when we got there I was told by the the manager that there is nothing they can do about it.
I asked them to charge me that empty bed fee like last year ,or at least give me credit so I can spend it at the mountain,they told me that they will talk to the head of the group
But nothing was done they did not even refund me the ski lift ticket after I gave it back to them when we checked in.
The room we got was in a section that was renovated , but the shower drain was blocked,one of the stove-top heating element did not work.
The only good thing in this place was the "legend" restaurant which we enjoyed very much.
I will not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I checked into The Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River on the second weekend of November to start off this years ski season. Monica was a great help when booking my ski & stay package. The hotel and room looked brand new. The room was spacious with a private balcony with beautiful scenic vistas. I was up before the restaurant opened and had a look around the resort and noticed them setting up a continental breakfast buffet in one of the meeting rooms. I asked if this was a private event and was told it was the resorts new hire orientation. The person in charge of the orientation was a true service professional when he said, “Go ahead and come on in and have a muffin and some coffee”. That was great customer service. After chatting I went to the Moonstruck restaurant where Jason prepared me an outstanding breakfast. He was training a new cook but the best training was his example of how great he interacted with the guests. Sincerely friendly without going overboard or being intrusive. I could tell in the first hour of the morning that this place has a great organizational culture. The snow was great; the mountain well groomed which made for delightful skiing. They have a motto “Go With The Flow” you see signs around the resort and on the mountain. I liked that. I was having lunch at Barker Mountain Lodge and I complimented Teresa on her Go With The Flow pin on her hat. She took it off and gave it to me, it’s still on my ski jacket. I had a perfect fine dining experience in Ledgions Restaurant. Another great breakfast from Jason the following day and when walking through the lobby the director of food and beverage greeted me and asked how I was enjoying my stay. Anyplace with a good mountain and snow and give you good skiing – but only a friendly group of people with a sincere care and concern that your having a pleasant stay can give you a great ski trip. Congratulations for a job well done to all of the associates at Sunday River Ski Resort.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My family of 4 stayed in a 2 room suite. There was a queen with a TV in one room and a pull-out and a murphy (along with another TV) in the 2nd room. There was also an oven, stove and frij....if you travel with a group of couples, split up the cost of the room, and fill the frij with beer/wine...the place makes a lot of sense. It will need modernizing some day but it was clean enough. The ski porter service was very friendly and it was so convenient to ski out right to the lifts close by. Our kids really enjoyed the indoor pool. One other nice feature is the free parking. A lot of other places (Mt Washington, etc..) charge for valet. Here it is free and the courteous bell staff really hussles as they are compensated by tips alone...made me feel like opening my wallet a little wider. On the negative side, the pricey restaurant did not deliver. Our order came out wrong in several ways (over-cooked steak, unrequested sauces put on dishes, sides forgotten). Its a good-looking crew, which is nice, but it could use better oversight until it is brought up to speed:)

Overall, I would recommend this place for its convenience and friendly staff...but I might venture over to the Pheonix or elsewhere for dinner.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HinghamPonch
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Stayed here in October for the big Sunday river kick off weekend. We were not impressed with this hotel at all. Everything in the hotel is outdated, it looks like it hasn't been updated in 20+ years. The rooms are not so great either. the beds are uncomfortable and the deck door and windows would not open and close properly. This would be a prime hotel in winter based on its proximity to the mountain, but compared to other slopesise hotels we have stayed in on the west coast, this is the worst. Also be mindful of your bill at checkout, the person who checked out the day we checked in charged a bunch of food/ alcohol to the room after they checked out and it showed up on our bill. This was fixed after they verified room charge receipts.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Let's face it; this hotel is not new, not by a long shot. It is worn from tons of fun being had by skier after skier over a period of many years. And yet, somehow, what is important to the weary traveler is here; a warm welcome, a very clean room and efficient service. No frills, but the basics will do as you gaze out over the mountains and drink in the fresh air. Do not judge this book by its cover; it's not a beauty, but it's a strong old girl of a hotel. We are not skiers, just a couple of folks who needed a room for the night, and were made to feel welcome and part of it all. This is a real tribute to the inimitable Maine personality, just the nicest people, no matter what. Best yet, they know they are sharing a glorious piece of nature with visitors. Maine is, truly, the way life should be!

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view. Hotel also has studios w/ kitchenette.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EastCoastAmanda
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The window in the room was briken and did not close! The security gard who came told us thad we were in the part which has not been reniewed and that the hotel is old

Very noisy, thin wall, terrible paint, closet does not close..
What an experience
Hopfully the ski tomorrow will be fun

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Gillesw
Reviewed January 30, 2011

The Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River is a great place. We had a studio deluxe room which included a small kitchen area. Having the kitchen area meant we could prepare our own meals without wasting time and money on overpriced restaurant meals. A fantastic breakfast was included in our ski and stay package, it included everything from cold cereal and oatmeal to made to order omelets and crepes.
There is a fitness center, an outdoor pool, and hot tub. The pool is kept warm so that you can swim in it even if it is extremely cold outside.
Having ski in and ski out access to the slopes was incredibly convenient. We didn't have to use the car the entire stay. All of the workers that we encountered were extremely friendly and helpful.
We had no problems with noise in the hallways or noise in the room as other reviewers have noted.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank hlg60
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Royalty Inn
#1 of 7 in Gorham
The Victoria Inn
The Victoria Inn
#9 of 16 in Bethel

Been to Grand Summit Resort at Sunday River? Share your experiences!