“Not so Good”
Review of Sudbury Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bethel
Sudbury Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2006

The room was very small and sloped significantly to the front of the inn. No room to really lay out your wet ski clothes so they can be dry for the next day. The room was a step down from the hallway, which required me to duck as I entered the room (I am 6'4"). I did hit my head on the doorway once. The walls hadn't been painted in quite some time and were cracked and peeling in spots. There were plenty of cobwebs in the corners too. The bathroom was very cramped and felt like it was stuffed in a closet (which might explain why there was no closet in the room). The room was extremely cold. There wasn't a thermostat in the room. When I complained to the front desk, they apologized and explained that the thermostat for the first and second floors was behind the front desk and they had turned it down so their pub guests wouldn't be overheated. Speaking of the Pub, we could clearly hear the activities from our room. I suppose we should have just visited the Pub and avoided our room, but we were there to ski, not revel in a bar. Breakfast was mediocre at best. The parking lot was always jammed full of pub visitors, so it was difficult to get a spot. Some might call it unpretentious. We would just call it a bad place to stay

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank boboloCT

A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Eire
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We stayed over New Year and wouldn't recommend it. Poor service, unfriendly,a carefree attitude and lack of understanding to non locals. The place needs an atmoshpere injection. Fawlty Towers, Bethel style.

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 14, 2006

My partner and I stayed at the Sudbury Inn for 3 nights and the owners/staff (minus the friendly waitress who served us breakfast)did not speak to us once except to mistake us for another English couple who were due to arrive. We popped in and out of the inn and the lady on reception (the owner?) did not bother to look up once or ask us how our stay was but happily took my husbands credit card details when we checked out (we arrived around 10pm on our first night after a long drive and the keys were left in an envelope). The Inn does not have a friendly and welcoming atmosphere and our room was quite small and did not have a wardrobe. It did have a hat stand however with 3 hangers hanging on it! The Inn also does not have ski lockers or a facility to store skis and my husband was advised to leave our skis etc in our hire car which was parked in their very busy car park at the side of the inn(they also have a pub in the basement). We will not stay at the inn again and do not recommend it as they are plenty of other places to stay in Bethel.

• Stayed: December 2005
13  Thank Jackie H
Reviewed January 10, 2006

we were a party of 8 ( so we saw a few rooms) staying in the Inn between xmas and new year....we had the warmest of welcome...and I mean that - the rooms were like toast!! and after a long, very snowy drive from Boston that was much needed.
The rooms were really lovely, the bed was huge and soooooooo comfortable ( no wardrobe???? but plenty of hanging space) which after a hard days skiing is real important.
The hotel has an excellent restaurant, with well cooked and reasonably priced food. It also has an excellent pub, with cheaper but still excellent food.
Cann't rate it high enough, we had a wonderful time.
Skied Sunday River which was 10 mins down the road...every thing was just great....thanks a bunch Bill and Nancy

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Alyson F
Reviewed July 13, 2005

My three siblings and I decided to get together for a mini-vacation in Maine with my elderly Mom. We were thoroughly pleased with the facilities the Sudbury Inn offered. They exceeded our expectations completely. We couldn't have had a nicer vacation and the Inn provided the venue and the services. We had a fabulous family dinner one night at the Inn restaurant with EVERYONE pleased with their dinner, a total of 12 of us. We asked the chef to come out for applause. Another night we needed a caterer and were referred by the innkeepers to a local caterer where we were again totally pleased. The breakfasts at the Inn are superb, the Pub fun and my suite , two rooms and a kitchen worked perfectly for my elderly Mom's needs. I highly recommend this lovely Inn. The innkeepers pay attention to details. We had three memorable days and nights!

Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank reelmind
Reviewed January 16, 2005

Our first impressions were 'what a great place! ' But as the week went on we were increasingly disappointed . Considering we were paying in excess of $200 per night we were surprised that there were no porterage facilities, we had to ask for our bathroom to be cleaned and a blood stained pillow was left on the bed for 3 days before being changed. There is a pub / family restaurant below the hotel serving steaks, burgers, pizzas etc. There is no facility to book a table and on one occasion we had to wait over 2 hours, which was no fun with hungry and tired children.

9  Thank BumbleBee
Reviewed January 13, 2005

This establishment has some great reviews and a lot of 5 star ratings.
I think that this is very deceptive. Sure some of the rooms are very spacious but you pay "top dollar" for these. We stayed in a room with no wardrobe ( we were skiing with all the relative luggage for a family of 3)
We were kept up most of the night with banging pipes in the (very) antiquated heating system.
The wallpaper was pealing away from some walls, and the layout was such that a cat could not be swung.
Indeed there was no storage space and consequently our skiing gear piled up in a damp mess in the corner.
Breakfast was nice and there was a bar of sorts underneath the inn

12  Thank Ella R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
Holidae House Bed & Breakfast
The Inn at the Rostay
The Inn at the Rostay
#4 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Sudbury Inn? Share your experiences!