“Best Ski Experience in NEw England”

Sunday River Ski Resort
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Bethel
More attraction details
Owner description: Large resort complex for downhill skiing.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Spent few days after Christmas and truly the slopes were so tempting I put my ski boots on after a lapse of few years. Quite a big deal considering I was a mediocre skier and after few health issues my confidence was nil. The entire ski resort runs smoothly- many sites where to buy tickets, great cafeteria with prices as expected however the food is Excellent, a nice shop with cool gear. I took a refresher class and although I got bored quickly as I got the feel I was impressed with the care the instructors offered to my very beginner colleagues, all adults. The kids classes are amazing, wish I would have learned here first- attention to detail, professionalism, etc. In short it worth the money. My friends are avid skiers and they were thrilled by the variety of slopes. As I left my skies home, I chose to rent the Green Terrain package - ski, lift on 4 chairs ( 2, 6, 3? 16) and an optional class( took it first day , excellent, got my confidence back). It was cheaper this way than renting separate gear and half a day lift ticket- quite enough of slopes for my level of skiing. I tried Loon, Attitash, Sunapee, Cranmore, Black Mt, Wild Cat in the past- Sunday River is the best place. I have to mention- all employees are attentive, friendly, knowledgable, they even refunded my ski rental 24 hours later in order to get another package. Times truly flew by..if you stay at their hotels you can ski nighttime with $5. BTW The trails and great snow, beautiful groomed although it did not snow in 1-2 weeks.

1  Thank fridaflin

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I very much enjoyed my ski day at Sunday River. Wish I was there tomorrow after they were to get a foot. Sunday River is a large wide mountain with a variety of terrain. If you go to the far left and are an expert, White Heat is a Great Slope and Jordan Bowl on the far right is also challenging but not as challenging as White Heat. The Middle Mountain slopes seemed to be more crowded. I had lunch at one of the mid mountain lodges and my Cup of Soup and One Cookie came to just under $10. Wow. Not cheap by any means. In the afternoon after my ski I went to the bar and asked for a table. They said there was a 20 minutes wait which seemed wierd since there were about a dozen empty tables with no one at them and tons of waitresses walking around with not much to do. I think they need to manage this better. I sat down at one of the tables and one of the waitresses told me I had to be seated by the hostess. I told her I was just sitting and that if they filled the table I would get up. In the end, she took the notification device away and took my order. I had a beer and the sliders which were pretty good. You would think they would want to seat their guests asap, but either the manager of the bar was terrible or their hostess stand was oblivious. No way to run the mountain bar. That being said, the slopes were in fine shape and all of the lift attendants were attentive and friendly. They had 74 slopes open and in pretty good condition considering that there were some recent rains. They have free bag check which is a nice touch of many ski areas these days. I came on the bus, and despise waiting for tickets to be picked up. Would be nice if the clubs can have the tickets printed out and ready to hand out before we get to the mountains.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Crowds the week that started right before Xmas this year was a huge surprise to management. Rental place was severely understaffed, in the morning it takes 40 minutes to pay for rental (initial line) and then another 30 minutes to get equipment. They cannot deal with any issues but would send you to the tuning shop at the retail store. If you need rentals stop by elsewhere, plus you will save $$ even compared to the stores right on the way to the slope.
I like the area itself, I think they open most of what they can, and lobster sandwiches food cart at the North Peak is a great plus.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Sunday River is great skiing. Love this place but if you eat here expect to pay too much for below average comfort food. Very expensive food in the base lodge. But bring your own food and enjoy the best skiing in New England.

1  Thank Celtvistor
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We've been going up to ski at Sunday River for many years. Not living too far away we try to get good deals when we go up. This year was no different except -- when we got up there, we were told the package my husband had signed up for wasn't what we were getting and the person who had sold it too him was no longer there so 'tough' -- no desire to work with the customer or to even consider it could have been their mistake. This problem involved both lodging and ski tickets.

Our room had no heat and we had to ask for another room which was only moderately warm and had loud clanging pipes. We will not be going back there since there are so many other good options around why waste our time and money on this.

5  Thank fiddleskiyogi