“New Owners Working Things Out”

The Jolly Drayman Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 35 Restaurants in Bethel
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Marlborough, MA
“New Owners Working Things Out”
Reviewed January 13, 2010

This is our second time that we have been to the restaurant. I looked on line at the web site for the specials before we left the hotel. Many of the restaurants in the area run nightly specials as competition is stiff for the skiers business. The web site specials are not accurate right now. There are no $10 Tuesdays or Mexican on Wednesdays. When I asked about the specials we were told there are new owners as of November and they were very sorry for the web site being out of date and thanked us for letting them know. A new winter menu is also being rolled out soon leaving many of the items on with only a few changes. The service was very good and the atmosphere is the same. I ordered the Tikka Masala as I heard last year that the Indian food was suppose to be great. I have had this dishes many times at other places and I thought it was good but lacked depth of flavor. It was hot ,as in spicy, with nice vegetables and rice but just not what I expected based on others I have had. The Naan is very over priced and I would not order it again. My fiance had The Drayman which was a marinated fillet and it was very good and the potato pancakes were crunchy and hot. We will go back but I will stay away from the Indian food and stick to the pub type meals. I did ask if the kitchen staff was the same as was told by our waitress that they had stayed and the new owners were nice to work for.

Titusville NJ
“BRAND NEW OWNERS - you need to check it out!”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

All of what was good is still there. And anything that wasn't is gone. Fred and Cindy are doing an outstanding job caring for their customers. The bar is great, the food is fabulous, and the rooms are clean and comfortable. It's a great place to stop in for a drink, or a snack, or dinner. Or spend the night and enjoy the area.

If you've been here before and enjoyed it - you still will. If you've been here before and didn't - give it another shot cause you will!

Ctown
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must do at Sunday River”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and daughter stopped in a few years back and I was pleased with the quality of the beer and the overall atmosphere. We were having such a good time, it was actually a bonus when the food turned out to be so good. Pair of Wellies for me and the Korma for my wife. Having been back this year I could not believe how Richard and Jenny had made the place even better! The back room bar, makes me feel like I'm back in Cornwall drinking with my mates. You'll be hard pressed to find atmosphere this good anywhere in the states let alone beautiful Bethel, ME

Midcoast Maine
“Imitation better than original”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Having enjoyed many a pub meal in the British Isles, I didn't expect a lot when we had dinner here. But what a difference! No one told the Jolly Drayman that English pub food is supposed to be mediocre. We had a wonderful, original beer-battered calamari appetizer, followed by a tasty Indian plate for my wife and a shepherd's pie for me. The pie was stuffed with excellent beef, very much unlike English fare (well, they did have the obligatory boiled peas). The beer choices were better in quality and number than anywhere I've been in England or Ireland. The ambiance is truly glorious, if you like pubs (and I do). The staff worked very hard and cheerily - on a gloomy out-of-season Wednesday, every table was full. The locals know what's good. This was my most enjoyable meal in Maine this year.

central NH
“Unbelievable find”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We just discovered this place on our most recent trip to Sunday River. What a find! Fabulous food (try the Indian dishes), huge portions (even the wine pours are about twice the norm), cozy, authentic atmoshere (English Pub, yet fine for families), good service. Truly can't wait to go back.