“Great Pub and Restaurant”

The Jolly Drayman Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Bethel
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Pub and Restaurant”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We've been going here for years and love this place. The food is varied and good, and I especially like the Indian offerings. They have a great selection of beers also. Fred, the owner also tends bar and makes a great drink.

• Visited December 2013

“Best meal of our trip”
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

This was our second trip to bethel area and the best meal in either trip! Seated promptly, good selections of draft beers and wines, and the menu was outstanding......I had the mixed grill and my wife the chicken korma...both excellent....we liked the small rooms and over all atmosphere of the English pub style...we were forced to cut our trip short and had to miss English new year with the drayman, that was a real bummer.....if you want to escape the resort corporate style restaurants,this could be your place.....looking for big volume, resort style? Try some place else.

Visited December 2013
Millinocket, Maine
“Poor service and inappropriate waitress”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

A good evening ended on a sour note. Although my family made reservations only a smaller
group was able to be actually seated the majority eventually left after waiting over 40 minutes.
To state we have never been so thirsty in an English Pub in only one of the reflections on the slow and lacking service.. Then, when no tip was left a confrontation from the waitress. I recommend
you avoid this place entirely.

• Visited December 2013
Bethel, Maine
“Not all black and white”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I live in town and get to eat here often. I've had some meals that I'd rate a 3 and many meals I'd rate a 5. The first sentence really sums up my review, I eat here often! I keep going back for the meals that rate a 5. One of the "5s" was "Bangers and Mash". Total comfort food, my stomach is growling now as I think about it. It's been my experience that you take your chances whenever a restaurant is "too quiet" or "too busy". Go there when it's in it's stride and you'll have a great experience.

• Visited October 2013
Afton, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Pasty Anywhere”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Alright, I'm not British, but I did eat a pasty in Great Britain last year. The Jolly Drayman's Chicken Pasty was in a delicious class by itself, no contest. Paired with a small salad, it was large enough for two hungry people.

My wife and I arrived at between 8 & 8:30 PM on a Wednesday evening and there were few other customers. The owner and waitress were personable and the atmosphere - even WITHOUT a full house and dogs sitting at the table - was reminiscent of the small town pubs of England.

From Bethel, we drove on to northern Maine. Two weeks later, when it was time to head home, we would have returned had doing so not taken us so far out of our way.

The owner varies the menu from time to time, so even though his Chicken Pasty is a "favorite" if you specifically want one, it would probably be best to call ahead.

• Visited September 2013