“Bethel's Sweet Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bethel
Bethel Village Motel
Ranked #7 of 15 Bethel B&B and Inns
Farmington, Maine
“Bethel's Sweet Retreat”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I almost hate to review this place because it is my favorite place to stay on vendor trips to Bethel's several art festivals, and someday I will be told she has no vacancy as travelers eventually find the in-town convenience, freshness of the rooms and charm of Ruthies little hotel. For the naysayers on this forum, go stay at the Bethel Inn! If you need every little convenience or a fancy and upsxcale place.... and everything to be super contemporary, go elsewhere. This place is clean and well-tended and very reasonable. Fresh flowers adorn the balcony tables in early July. Wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank hollingworth51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This isn't the Ritz, if your looking for 5 star, then you will be dissapointed. HOWEVER if your looking for a quaint little country inn type expereince this is it. Me and my wife have stayed here multiple times already and will be staying here again this Christmas eve and then every time we go skiing up at Sunday River throughout the season.

Every-time we've gotten in, it has been late (we drive up from Rhode Island which is a minimum of a 4 hour drive) and every time she has met us with a smile and a warm welcome. Every room is different and has its own charm. Its not modern, but full of charm that you would expect in a get-away to the mountains. We are both young (in our late 20s) and we found it charming and relaxing. We've stayed in some nicer places that are closer to the mountain, but they didn't make us feel nearly as relaxed at the Village motel - it has that "at home feel".

The best part is, the rates are the same - mid-week or weekend, holiday or non-holiday. And with tax is still cheaper than other places around. She usually doesn't book up fast unless there is a snow storm coming.

Every time the sheets/towels/carpet have been clean - never had a dirty room. Imagaine a bed and breakfast, but without the breakfast (or the high cost).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephen c
Wadhurst
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at the Bethel Village Motel in September as part of a road trip and found it to be the most pleasant, comfortable, quiet and reasonably priced location - in fact we stayed two nights which is very unusual for us! I have just read the 'disappointed' review below and really couldn't understand it. All in all, we can completely recommend the motel and more importantly, Ruthie's pumpkin pie!

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Was expecting more given the previous reviews which were good . Owner greeted us with a smile and things went downhill from there. Furnishings gave me the creeps. Needs to be updated badly. Bathroom vanity had to be there from the 60's or 70's. Couldn't tell if the carpet was clean because it looked so very old and worn.
A train came through town at night, but it was so loud that it woke us up and sounded like it was in the next room. Try another place in town and skip this one.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Ruthie's is my favorite place to stay when skiing at Sunday River. It's right in the center of the village. The rooms are simple but clean, renovated and comfortable. And you can't beat the price or how friendly Ruthie herself is. I've been going for a few years, and I've noticed constant renovations and little refreshes that keep the place in great shape. It's nothing fancy, but I've tried other nearby places that claim to be fancy. I always wish I'd just gone back to Ruthie's. The rooms are on the 2nd floor and all open onto the porch which is so nice after a day of spring skiing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I reserved two rooms for just one night because of a mix up with our Sunday River rental check in. I picked it mostly based on reviews on this site and we weren't disappointed. We loved it! Ruthie is super nice, I told her we would arrive a little late and she had the lights on and the heat on for us. The rooms are very cute, spotlessly clean and very "homey". The bathroom was small but super clean with really nice towels. There is coffee ready at the front desk at 6:30 and it is walking distance to plenty of restaurants and the grocery store. Refrigerators in every room and you can't beat the price! We'll go back for sure!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Gilford, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I was in the Western Mountains and Lakes Region of Maine doing research for www.great-maine-vacations.com, and based on the positive reviews I read here, I stayed at Ruthie's Bethel Village Motel, and am VERY happy that I did. The motel was perfect for the type of trip I was on, and was spotlessly clean, quite comfortable, and I thought, well priced for value..

The motel is centrally located in the Village, within an easy walk to its bakeries/cafes, restaurants and shops, and right at the entrance to the highways that lead to Sunday River, Baxter State Park, and the Rangeley Lakes area. Ruthie was extremely helpful in suggesting which routes to take to optimize my time in the area.

As others have noted, the large coffee mugs, which you can take to your room, and the thick towels, were certainly something out of the ordinary for such an inexpensive motel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mcctho
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethel
Mt Madison Inn & Suites
#3 of 15 in Bethel
The Victoria Inn
The Victoria Inn
#8 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Bethel Village Motel? Share your experiences!