“Started out bad, but staff made the effort to improve our final impression”

Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We had a bit of an adventure at the Comfort Inn. We arrived on Saturday night of a very busy weekend and were assigned to room 117. When we got to the room, it had a strong damp, sweaty odor (in fact, the carpet was a bit damp). We asked to change rooms. At first we were told there were no other rooms, but then we were moved to another room that smelled much better. Unfortunately, the person who moved us forgot to update the computer. When we came back from swimming and dinner, our keys no longer worked and we found out our things had been removed from the room! They thought our stuff belonged to the people who had checked out that morning. At this point, we were told there were no other rooms except the smelly one, given some orange spray, and moved back in. Our rate was also reduced 50%. The next night, we were upgraded to a suite with a jacuzzi, living room and kitchen. I really thought the staff did their best to make it up to us.

If all this had not happened, I would still rate the Comfort Inn average -- the rooms are older, the finishes are average, and they use all paper and plasticware at breakfast instead of real dishes. And the rates are not particularly low (unless you happen to get a big discount like we did). On the good side, the indoor pool / hot tub area is nice and the ocean view is fantastic. It also appears to be a very pet friendly place -- we saw lots of dogs (all well behaved). I also really like the town of Belfast. When I return to the area next, I'll probably stay at the Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn in Rockport, which was nicer and a really good value.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank KirstenR
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Thank you for writing. I am sorry that we fell short of our goal to provide superb accommodations at a comfortable price. I am pleased that the staff reacted to your concerns and took the action that you approved.
We have been upgrading and enhancing our facilities. I am sure that you, like others will find our accommmodations pleasurable.

Reviewed July 22, 2010

Typical Comfort Inn with an incredible sea view! The staff was friendly and helpful. EVERY room has a wonderful view.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for writing, detailing your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and efficient and the facilities clean and comfortable. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades. And I am fortunate to work with people who really care about our guests' experiences. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

Like the previous reviewer, I was with the same group. The staff is truly outstanding. It started with Sarah at the desk accommodating our large group (but all front desk staff were outstanding) and including one of the front desk personnel who prep'ed the continental breakfast early when she heard part of our group was going on a fishing excursion at 430AM. The chef/cook in the restaurant prepared our group's catch three different ways for our entire group when we returned that evening! Truly hospitable service and I felt it wasn't just because we were customers; it was sincere. The view is excellent as all rooms face the Bay. Rooms are average and clean, my only negative comment would be that the blinds on the doors (which go to individual porches facing the water- another plus), are not room darkening, so if you're a light sleeper, you'll be getting up early. You're on the Maine coast so consider it a free wake up call to get out and do something! Near by Camden has the most to offer, although Belfast has a few nice restaurants and pubs (I would not recommend Young's Lobster House however...it's pricey for a no-frills pier type restaurant). Enjoy your stay- we did!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

I visited this hotel as part of a last minute assignment in the heart of tourism season for the area. Not only was the Comfort Inn able to accomodate the 11 members of my party, but they truly welcomed us. The staff in particular turned an already good visit (it is in a beautiful area of the country) into a wonderful one. Everyone from the front desk staff (particularly Sarah and Ryan) to the restaurant staff (particularly Garret and Jen) went out of their way to be helpful, friendly, and downright generous with their time, knowledge, and skills. They comprised one of the finest staffs I've seen in my vast experience of travel, both domestically and internationally. Bravo, Comfort Inn!!

1  Thank GovtTraveller27

Reviewed July 15, 2010

The Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge was by far the most dog friendly hotel that I have stayed at with my golden retriever. My dog was able to feel right at home thanks in part to a large field that led to the edge of the bay. The room was clean and had no smell from previous dogs. The staff at the hotel were also extremely pleasant. I will definitely stay at this hotel when I return for my annual vacation to mid-coast Maine and Acadia.

• Stayed: June 2010

Thank you for writing. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and efficient and the facilities clean and comfortable. We do welcome pets, as they have become the children of many who travel. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades. And I am fortunate to work with people who really care about our guests' experiences. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

This was the most welcoming hotels I've ever stayed at. The view was beautiful, the staff were all wonderful. The food at the resturaunt was superb and I had one of the best night's sleep of my life. Far better than your regular Comfort Inn brands, the place was well worthy of it's multiple awards.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for writing, detailing your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I welcome you comparison with Marriott and Hyatt, as I have worked for both chains. I have a good deal of respect for the performance of both.

Reviewed March 14, 2010

If you are going to Mid Coast Maine, and are Traveling with your Pet, this is the place to stay. My Grayhound Loved it. the room had a door that let you got out to walk and play. and the Staff was super. And Patrick on the frount was great.

• Stayed: March 2010

Thank you for writing, detailing your stay at the Comfort Inn Ocean's Edge. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and efficient and the facilities clean and comfortable and pet friendly. We continue to reinvest in the facility in both repairs and upgrades. And I am fortunate to work with people who really care about our guests' experiences. I hope that, should your travels bring you back to Belfast, you will allow us to serve as your host.

Barry Asalone

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belfast
Colonial Gables Oceanfront Village
Samoset Resort On The Ocean
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#4 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!