“would have been a good experience except for...”

Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Belfast
GreenLeadersBronze level
Belfast, Maine
“would have been a good experience except for...”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

At approximately 1:00 am there was a malfunction with the fire/smoke alarms and they went off. My husband, 6 and 8 year old children, and I, got our shoes, coats, room keys, etc.. and all 3 floors evacuated. We stayed outside for 40 minutes. Thankfully I had grabbed my car keys and was able to keep the kids still in their pajamas, warm and comfortable in the car as it is winter time. After 40 minutes, the alarms stopped and the fire dept gave us the clear to return. There was only 1 young girl on staff. When we returned to our rooms, my 6-yr old son was so frightened I had to let him in bed w/ my husband and I so that he would feel safe enough to fall asleep. The next morning, about 8 am.. the alarms went off about 3 more times, beeping just a few times then to be shut off. Each time my children were frightened we would have to evacuate. This was not due to a prank, but a malfunction. I understand sometimes things happen we have no control over but there was not any apology or any concern. My husband and I were simply inconvenienced but my two children were traumatized. I would have felt better about our experience if at least the staff showed some concern. I don't know that I want to stay there again and although they loved everything else about our experience, especially the indoor pool, my children don't want to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and writing about your experience. I am very sorry for the fire alarm that awakened you and your family. It was not something we could anticipate, nor a frequent occurrence. The associate on duty did her best to quickly evacuate the hotel and make sure that everyone was safely outside the building. After the fire department determined that there was no actual fire, guests were let back into the building with her apologies. The two women on the desk the next morning also apologized to each of the guests checking out.
I am sorry for the inconvenience of the alarm, and that neither of these staff spoke with you personally.
I hope that you can see this as an isolated incident, and allow us to serve as your host in the future.
Barry Asalone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel has the Right ideas about what Needs are absolutely necessary for a Successful overnight stay or longer visit....Ultra friendly Staff, Very good amendities heated pool, hot tub and Sauna almost forgot about balcony views of the Ocean highly recommend a nights stay here or longer I definitely would! One thing the GM should look into making it clear what days of the week the Restaurant is open for business and what day its Not open....My Girlfriend and I were So looking forward to having a meal at the Restaurant but they were closed on Sundays an nowhere is that mentioned on the Menus or at the Front desk or Booking a Room...We settled on a restaurant that was highly Unimpressive with a great location, views and lackluster Food! We would've enjoyed checking out the meals that the New Chef at the Hotel has on the menu the description and pairings sounded great but we won't know if there's no details on what days they're open and not open for business.... Oh well come to Belfast Comfort Inn Suites for a visit I would!

• Stayed March 2013
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. You speak so highly of all the amenities and the staff. I feel so bad that you missed the restaurant. You are correct that our Chef is wonderful and has been cited as the Best of the Best in Waldo County by the readers of the Republican Journal. I am sorry that you missed it. I'll discuss with staff about mentioning that the restaurant is closed on Sundays in winter. Hopefully, you can get a chance to come back to Belfast to try it.

Bangor, Maine
Reviewed February 26, 2013

What a cozy aroma of baking cookies wafting through the halls of The Comfort Inn at Ocean's Edge this past weekend! As the snow swirled softly around outside, we were ensconced in warmth, congeniality and comfort. Four pillows to each bed, clean rooms and everything we could need, The Comfort Inn obviously takes pride in their establishment!
And the chocolate chip cookies were warm and delicious!

Room Tip: As it was vacation week for the kiddos, we were happy to be on the quieter third floor.... And the v...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
What a nice comparison! Thank you for your compliment. We strive to provide a warm, comfortable and friendly enviroment, especially on these cold winter nights. I hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again, perhaps in better weather.

Stonington, Maine
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The accommodations are clean and neat. Breakfast was good and staff are very helpful I will definitely stay here again. The location is ideal for visiting Belfast. A quick drive to downtown and rooms are very pretty and quiet. I got a good night's rest at the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for visiting, and writing. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the cleanliness, the free breakfast, and the staff. It's nice to see people from Maine getting a chance to have "staycations" here in the State.

belfast
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This place is a gem! I found myself in Belfast to ride out the recent snow storm, and the staff just could not have been kinder or more professional. The room was great - clean, well-appointed and looking out to the ocean. With a very minimal, friendly staff, the restaurant was open and served two lovely dinners the two nights I was there. And they dug out my car after the storm - that's truly 5-star service! When you come to Belfast, stay here!

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were great - all face the ocean!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for "riding out the blizzard" with us. Thank you also for writing about your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the clean room friendly staff and the restaurant. We had a challenge digging out from the storm, but I was pleased to see that we got all of the cars cleared out so people could get on the roads when they were clear.
I hope that you will stay with us again in good weather, as well as bad.
taunton
Reviewed January 23, 2013

With such a long trip to visit my parents we had been looking for a place close to them that was clean, comfortable and affordable. This hotel has friendly, helpful staff that keeps the place clean and welcoming. Our room was wonderful with a king size very comfortable bed, kitchenette, and balcony with an amazing ocean view. The complimentary breakfast is great and offers choices for all dietary needs. We will always choose this location when visiting my family.

Room Tip: The King Suite is awesome
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Barry_Asalone, General Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I'm glad that you choose to stay with us when visiting your family. Thanks too for your kind comments about the clean, comfortable rooms, good breakfast and friendly staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
SIncerely,
Arundel
Reviewed January 23, 2013

First time we have stayed here, but won't be the last.
Clean rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff, nice breakfast with something for everyone, and it was quiet on a busy weekend.
Excellent views. Excellent value.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I'm glad that your first visit with us was so pleasant. I was happy to hear that you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly, and the hotel remarkably quiet on such a busy weekend. Thank you for your comments. We hope to see you soon.
Barry Asalone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belfast
Colonial Gables Oceanfront Village
#2 of 5 in Lincolnville
Yankee Clipper Motel
Yankee Clipper Motel
#2 of 8 in Belfast

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites Ocean's Edge? Share your experiences!