“Penobscot Bay find”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Ater a visit to Waldo County Memorial Hospital, we had a late lunch at Darby's in Belfast. It was a revelation. The menu was eclectic from a Singapore style soup to barbecued ribs. I Had an open-faced reuben sandwich that was the best I have had. With a mild sauerkraut, fine thinly sliced corned beef and swiis cheesed topped with sn outstanding dressing. My wife chowed down dry-rubed baby back ribs that virtually bell off the bones. The service was deliughtful and the had Chateau Musar on the wine list...oneof the best lunches I have eaten in Maine.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well - my husband and I just had lunch at Darbys and I feel like we were in an entirely different restaurant than earlier reviewers. We were warmly greeted, service was efficient and friendly and the food was good. It was a busy lunch hour crowd, so things could go wrong but did not. I had a beautiful salad and my husband had one of the specials - fried clams/oysters. I would not recommend the french fries that came with his meal, but everything else was great. We definitely intend to come back. It is a warm and cosy restaurant with a lot of nice choices.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Mediocre food, but even worse is the service. I have been here many times for various work functions and every time the service was awful. The wait staff could care less about if you are satisfied. There is not many options in town for a "Nicer" resaurant, but once Delvino's opened we moved all of our work functions there. It is a little pricier, but at least the food is good and the staff make you their priority.

2  Thank Lisa D
Jerry S, Owner at Darby's, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Lisa,
Your review really surprised us! Your perception of our waitstaff is so different than how we view ourselves, and from what we hear from so many of our guests. A willingness to accomodate and please people is one of the cornerstones of our service philosphy. If members of our staff are failing to satisfy our guests, I wish we'd be informed at the time so we had a clearer idea of what has gone wrong. I'm very sorry that we have given you this horrible impression in the past. I'm happy to say that Darby's did just win Waldo County's "Best Business Lunch" once again, and we have some exciting new additions to our menu. Perhaps you and your co-workers will try us again sometime. We certainly hope so. Thank you for your feedback. Kim, Manager

Reviewed September 4, 2012

While others may be the current rage, Darby's never disappoints. They have been around and likely will continue to be.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I abhor giving bad reviews. I know you cant please everyone all of the time which is why Iam an optimist, and sometimes you catch a restaurant on a bad night. That being said.This place looks like nice, appearance outside and in was good. Menu had potential quite overpriced however. One mediocre crab cake for 16 dollars with a small side salad. A thai buddha bowl that tasted like dishwater. I really wanted to like Darbys but it was a horrible meal. The staff was ok. Hostess was a bit brisk and our waitress was nice when we saw her........I heard good things from a local we talked to which is why we went. But I dont think based on our experience I would go back.

1  Thank Desi P