“Walk Just A LIttle Higher”
Review of The Gothic - CLOSED

The Gothic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Driven by season, The Gothic's menu captures the locality and essence of Maine.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Positioned at the upper end of Main Street, The Gothic is a little gem. My wife and stopped in for lunch on a Friday, and found the place clean, quiet and charming—and the food was wonderful. We shared a kale salad and a spinach flatbread, both of which were obviously prepared with both care and talent. To accompany them, she had a glass of the Castellroig Cava, while I had the Etienne Dupont Cider, which was marvelous. The waiter knew his stuff, and helped make lunch just plain great. So next time you're in Belfast, ignore those common restaurants lower down. Walk a little higher.

3  Thank abecedarius

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Located in an old bank building, you may walk by thinking it is not open or wonder what it is. Food was fabulous! Best swordfish we've had...pan fried with a pistachio crust. Awesome!

5  Thank Geraldine D
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Three nights in lovely Belfast, ME in early August. Made a reservation for our last evening hoping that it would put an exclamation point on our wonderful stay in this charming town. Waited over half an hour at the bar for our table. The well dressed staff appeared busy, constantly rearranging cutlery and glasses. Started with the kale salad - a small plate of kale, with some lemon and plain, whole almonds. Very bland, plain, uninspiring, and forgetful. My wife had the beef - three small splinters of meat with a single micro floret of cauliflower and a small splatter of a near tasteless sauce. A $24 disaster. I had Summer Squash Pasta - really a half of a zucchini put through a potato masher with no taste, no texture, no appeal - it reminded me of a dish fed to babies with food allergies or perhaps some poor edentulous individual.
We asked for bread - none was placed on the table as is the usual case. We received a small plate of crust trimmings. Our hunger far from satisfied, we asked for some more. I was playfully told by our appropriately pretentious and condescending server, with a slap on the back, that they were running out of bread.....and, the table next to us was for "the owner and some friends" - the bread was needed for them. Indeed, two large plates filled with thick slices and not crumbs were made available to the aristocracy.
We left this restaurant hungry,angry and wondering. Hungry because the rather expensive dishes were tiny, bland, and unfulfilling. Anger that stems from the feeling of being treated like ignorant simpletons. Angry that we did not get near value for the money spent. And wondering about all the glowing, professionally written reviews that brought us to this establishment in the first place.

10  Thank dddomingo
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had a great dinner last Saturday night at The Gothic in Belfast, ME. The dishes not only looked beautiful but were absolutely delicious. The chef is creating art with every dish and they use local and fresh ingredients which is very important to me. When I go out to eat I expect to be wowed with great service and food that I can't make at home. The Gothic exceeded these expectations. If you're in town make sure you eat here! I loved my dinner so much I went back for lunch the next day.

2  Thank KRegan83
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Enjoyed a drink and the cheese app at the bar. Very unique bottles. Bar tender was personable and knowledgable. Cheese was tasty and well presented. The entrees we saw looked good.

1  Thank Roadtrip091