“Delicious food in a spare setting”
Review of Solo Bistro - CLOSED

Solo Bistro
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed November 23, 2013

2 of us dined on a chilly November Friday night, sat in the front room by the window with a great view of the cooks at work in the open kitchen. All the staff members were very friendly, our waitress in particular was attentive and knowledgeable about the various food and drink options. Started with cocktails - Whiskey Splash for me and Lemon Lavender Martini for my husband - and they were excellent. Starters were the Solo Greens and the soup, a curried pumpkin/celery root, both delicious. The greens were crisp, fresh, not overwhelmed by the dressing; candied walnuts and blue cheese added a nice accent. For entrees I had the New Zealand lamb chops, 3 in the order done crispy on the outside and medium rare on the inside as ordered. Very tasty with good sides although the Israeli cous cous were a bit overcooked. He had the special scallops which were really great, big and almost creamy in texture, 4 to the order. Wine was a well-priced red from Languedoc. To end we had the cheese plate and 2 glasses of port. All in all, a great experience. The setting is quite spare, prehaps reflecting one of the owner's Danish heritage, with candles on the tables and minimal artwork. There's another room on the street level where there's quiet live jazz on Friday nights, downstairs is a small wine bar and a few more tables. We will definately return and recommend to friends for a special evening. The total check was $150 which seems fine considering the high quality of the food and drink and the good size of the portions.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Lunches at some great restaurants are a disappointing "step down" from the dinners. Not so, my recent mid-day experience at the Solo Bistro. Like my terrific dinner with friends the week before, I enjoyed an exceptional, affordable glass of wine, food that pampered my palate, and poised, unobstrusive servers who clearly love their work and their customers. I indulged myself with perfectly-steamed mussels. At the “decisive moment”, my server magically appeared at my side to offer just what I was wanting: a bit more of Solo’s “signature” bread, (delicately seasoned, heavenly-baked slices of foccacia) to enable me to sop up every last drop of the succulent mussel broth. Masterful food, decor, service - an affordable "whole" that exceeds the sum of its parts.

Jane T

Reviewed November 9, 2013

My daughter and I had a lovely lunch but found the server lacking. We went back two days later with my granddaughter, a main ingredient was left off the salad making it less than average. Our server had been aloof but efficient. This week I brought two co-workers there for lunch, (their first visit) they had the chowder of the day which was 'bland'. We were in the adjoining dining room and finally gave up waiting for our server, my friend left our table in search of salt and pepper. We were drinking water but our glasses were never refilled. The server gave us separate checks, we combined the tab with tip in cash. She picked up the tab but never asked if we needed change, she assumed it was hers and never returned. I have always enjoyed Solo's food but obviously my friends will never return. We also ate in our coats because it was unpleasantly cold in the restaurant.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went for no special occasion , just a night out with family & friends .
The staff was friendly & efficient . We enjoyed great elderberry flower fizz cocktails .
The food was fresh & local .We had a variety of menu choices & most seemed very pleased .
There were a few misses . The bread was not the best ever , but served with a very interesting squash & ricotta spread . The fries were a bit soggy with the steak , gnocchi lacking texture .Some of the plating was difficult to manage making it hard cut things like the lobster special crammed in a tiny round hole in a big dish .
We enjoyed the homemade ice cream & sorbet with a meringue cookie .Overall I was impressed & it felt like a special occasion . I would definitely try again .

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had eaten at a different restaurant the night before-it was right on the river with a great view, but not great food. On the other hand Solo Bistro is located in the charming downtown of Bath. The food was over the top. The menu offered a wide variety of entre but one of the many specials that night was scallops. Scallops happen to be one of my favorites and the Chef did not let me down. The scallops were done to perfection. In addition we had New England Clam chowder, a delicious and interesting salad, plus two deserts (fresh apple tart & crème brule) and a delightful bottle of merlot. The food, the presentation and the service was all done to perfection. I live in South Florida where there are many fine restaurants. Solo Bistro is right at the top with the best of them and as an added bonus the bill was half of what I would pay at home. ENJOY