“Good food, ridiculous prices, and you might sit in a basement.”
Review of Solo Bistro

Solo Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Solo Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 50 Restaurants in Bath
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
New Jersey
“Good food, ridiculous prices, and you might sit in a basement.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had reservations for 7 but were late getting into Bath. We called several hours ahead of time to ask to change our reservation to 8 and was told that was fine, to come "whatever time." That made me think the place wouldn't be busy but it was actually packed and no one had our reservation change when we went in at 8. We were seated in the tiny basement next to a loud, obnoxious group of 6 and with waiters, bus boys, and many others constantly walking past our table. The kitchen must have been behind us.

One pet peeve I have is when dishes meant to be shared have an odd number of pieces. Our bread (small sticks, really) and there were 3 pieces, so that was annoying. The butter was a lemon mint and was delicious though. Too bad there was barely any bread to put it on. Would it kill them to actually give a small loaf of bread to patrons?

There are precious few vegetarian options on the entire menu and only one entree. I got a cup of chilled red pepper soup which was tasty but they didn't mention cilantro would be copiously used as a garnish and many people, myself included, absolutely hate cilantro so that was unfortunate. My husband got a salad that was much simpler than the menu led him to believe; $9 for some field greens is pretty steep. We shared a cheese plate which was $13 for three small pieces of cheese, 4 pieces of toasted bread, 3 blueberries, and a tablespoon of relish. It was also good but the price was laughable for the amount. We split the one vegetarian entree, a grilled squash and eggplant ragout over a tomato fennel sauce topped with pesto and greens. I have no complaints about the food though again, $18 for a 3" cube of vegetables is ridiculous.

My husband had one mixed drink off the menu. The alcohol content was overwhelming but it was good and decently priced at $10.

Dessert was delicious. I had a strawberry rhubarb crisp and my husband had a flourless chocolate cake. A chocolate mousse we both wanted was on the menu but they had run out, much to our disappointment. Both servings were $8 but were also very small servings, especially the cake.

Our bill without tip came to $75 and remember, we shared an entree. Such small portions and such big prices and such little selection, I wouldn't go there again. They get 3 stars for the quality of the food. Our server was also very pleasant.

1 Thank CelticCail

St. Augustine, Florida
“Sophisticated + authentic + terrific”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Oh my- after a couple of decades traveling Maine in the summer- how did I miss this? Clean Scandinavian feel- Angela Adams rugs on the brick walls- but the visual treat pales beside the food - perfect crab cakes, beautifully dresses local lettuces -oil, lemon juice honey, and herbs. My guy had a superb halibut- and I had the prix fixe curried vegetables-- perfect and interesting all round. And an interesting wine list-well priced. But then there's dessert - house made fennel chocolate chip ice cream- Ohh! And a cheesecake with chocolate ganache. We're planning our next visit..

Durham, New Hampshire
“Great food, friendly, visually compelling”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Tired of the restaurant fare and decor of seacoast of Maine? Head for this lovely place with wonderful food, always prix fixe menus that on Wed's are even more frugal, and you will love it. The owner has a fun weekly email musing on food and the world and the decor is Scandinavian modern which is a breath of fresh air for Rt. 1 and its tributaries.

North Carolina
“The Tale of Two Visits”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Solo had been a real favorite of ours and we were sorry to see that they had stopped serving dinner on Sundays. However, we recently had a very good dinner there. My husband had the pan seared miso halibut and I had the prix fixe, which was chicken that night -- we both enjoyed the meal tremendously. However, within about 10 days, we returned, bringing guests with us. My husband had raved about the halibut so much that he had it again. Wrong! The fish -- a thin (tail) filet -- was dry and tough, as though it had been overcooked and/or sat under a heat lamp, which it well may have, since there was an inordinate interval between our starters and the main course. Solo, we concluded sadly, isn't a place where you can count on consistency. Fortunately there are other alternatives to explore.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank ThreeRosettes70
Canton GA
“What a great place!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stopped in Bath on our way to Bar Harbor. Walked around for a bit and got hungry. Decided to go in this little bistro and my husband had clam chowder and I had a hamburger. Wow! This was the absolute best burger I've ever had! Service was great too. Stop in here if you get the chance, you won't regret it.

• Visited June 2013