“A favorite with the locals!”
Review of J R Maxwell & Co.

J R Maxwell & Co.
Ranked #8 of 50 Restaurants in Bath
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We were sent to JR Maxwell's by a local merchant, often a good way to find good food. Located on a main shopping street, the restaurant is convenient, and it does have a good pub atmosphere. We were surrounded at lunch time by locals who were on a first name basis with the wait staff -- clearly "regulars". The place was clean and the service friendly and efficient. While there was nothing extraordinary about the menu offerings, we had some of the best fresh crab we ate in Maine, served generously in a croissant "melt", with light, crispy fries on the side, for a very reasonable price. We would certainly suggest this place for a lunch spot if you're traveling in or near Bath.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

In September my husband and I spent a week in the delightful "mid coast" town of Bath, Maine.
Bath is a lovely small town with many very good restaurants , but after a few days we found our favorite---- JR Maxwells.

We went there for dinner three nights in a row !

The feeling of the restaurant is just very warm and friendly.

What could be more welcoming than a small loaf of warm bread on each table !

The food is very reasonable and very good.

I loved the fresh seafood salad , and my husband enjoyed the fettucino alfredo very much.

We highly recommend JR Maxwells.

1  Thank Katrina_S_7
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I forgot to consult my app for Trip Advisor when I found myself in Bath on a Saturday night and just picked the place because it looked ok.
The good first. Nice waitress, attentive and friendly.
Had a special, prime rib. It was good, nice salad, baked potato.
Most of the peopel in there...and it was not busy...seemed to be local, which I assume is a good sign.

The bad. Served a Yorkshire pudding with the prime rib, which may have been good if it was hot. Or warm. But it was cold. Not good.

The worst part was the 'host'.
I walked in early, about 5pm. I saw him pouring water to one of about 6 tables that were occupied and he saw me standing there. He looked right at me and kept going. He walked to the back, behind a partial wall and spent 5 minutes, no lie, laughing with some waitresses standing there. Finally, he came out. I made a comment that I had been about to leave, that he ignore. Then, even though the place was almost empty, he gave me, I assume because I was alone, the choice of two tables. One was right next to another couple..in an empty room..the other a booth in a corner, behind a wall. Guess he had to save all the "good" table for...people that did not show up while I was there.
Not to mentioned be was dressed in a tee shirt, worse than any customer there. Very unprofessional.
He was enough to make me reconsider my choice.

2  Thank caitemaire
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed in Bath for the last two nights of a touring holiday in New England and chose Maxwell's for our last meal. A Wednesday night and booked a table for 8. The restaurant was not full and we ordered and received our drinks and salad promptly. An hour later the waitress said the chef was sorry we had to wait so long but there had been a party of twelve in. Fifteen minutes later we were really fed up and getting past the point of feeling hungry - we complained and five minutes later our meals arrived. Mine - veal in a lemon and caper butter sauce - which had sounded so appetising - was awash in melted butter - I poured a whole cup ful off my plate - felt quite nauseous by now - tried the veal - it was saturated in butter - disgusting. For the first time in my life - and I'm 58 - I called the waitress and said I couldn't eat it - she was mortified and apologetic - not her fault though! She asked what I would like instead so I asked for plain grilled haddock - this took another 15 minutes and to be honest tasted like the cheapest frozen fish that I sometimes get in my supermarket in England - yuk. My husband meanwhile had ordered haddock in blue cheese and bacon sauce which sounded fab - he was presented with a huge pile of thick, salty white sauce plonked on top of fish - he struggled to eat it - and he, like me never complains - the meal was dreadful and to be honest the last night of or holiday - which we had hoped would be memorable - was memorable but for the wrong reasons. To add insult to injury there was no apology from the chef, no reduction in price, no complimentary dessert or coffee - altogether a terrible experience and I would NOT recommend this place!

5  Thank Magpie369
Reviewed August 6, 2011

good food at reasonable price.\despite the comments we've seen in TRipadvisor, We can say that this restaurant was fine.

Good seafood, try the scallops and the atlantic salmon, nice environment, friendly people.

The reaastaurant is located downtown bath and is at walking distance from hampton inn .
The price is reasonable, you can have a full seafood dinner for less than 24 US$ per persone, drinks included.

Food quality is very good and all dishes are cooked to perfection.

The owner was very kind with us providing a loto fo informations regarding bath and neighborough.

Strongly reccomended