“Poor Service, Poor Menu, Cold Food”
Review of Admiral Steakhouse - CLOSED

Admiral Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington Street
Brunswick, Maine
“Poor Service, Poor Menu, Cold Food”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I took my wife out to Admiral Steakhouse for her birthday thinking it was going to be a special dinner. We got a sitter for the evening and were exited to go.
We arrived and were promptly seated. The restaurant wasn't that busy for a Memorial Day Weekend. The ambiance and décor were attractive with a nautical theme. The waitress took our drink orders and came back a few minutes later. As we looked over the menu, we both remarked how pricy the dishes were but thought that they must be presented really well and we were going to splurge.

The waitress basically disappeared after taking our order. I was baffled that a Delmonico steak cost $30 and only came with one side. I ordered the mashed potatoes but would have wanted a salad or vegetable in addition.

We also ordered the bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer. The scallops came .... $12 for four scallops poorly presented...basically arranged in a square and the plate sprinkled with stale parsley. I had to flag the waitress down for another drink order. I was baffled as there were only two other couples in the restaurant.

Our meal and second round of drinks finally came. I also had to ask for more water. The meals were again poorly presented with a glop of mashed potatoes on a plate with the edges sprinkled with stale parsley.

The steak was cooked medium rare as I had expected but it was luke warm. Then I tried the sole side, the garlic mashed potatoes....I thought they would be special as the only side but I was wrong. They were COLD. Come on....$30 for a luke warm steak and cold mashed potatoes. I felt bad as it was my wifes birthday and I was trying to make the best of it. The waitress never came around again and asked us to refill our drinks (water or wine) even though there were only two other couples in the restaurant.

Then the icing on the cake was the fact that the waitress automatically added a 20% gratuity on the bill. Come on.....lame!!! Don't go here...not worth it!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank mainahh0965
Allison M, Manager at Admiral Steakhouse, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hi There,

I am sorry your experience was not what you had hoped. I wanted to write to you because of the extenuating circumstances that happened the evening of your visit. In addition to the room that you were in we have a private back room for large parties or when we have busy nights. The evening you dined with us there was a party in the back room of 14 people. One of the members of that party had a stroke mid-meal and had to be taken out of the restaurant by EMS.

I am sorry that the server and manager on duty did not communicate that they were dealing with an emergency situation while you dined, but none the less that is what the distraction was during your visit.

I plan to address their communication effots with them but wanted to reach out to you so you know that is not how we operate on a standard night.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with additional questions or concerns.

Bath, Maine
“The Admiral Steakhouse, The Epitome Of Fine Steak”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

When one arrives in Bath, Maine, they will not find it difficult to find a restaurant. A traveler can experience all of their culinary desires, from Chinese to fine seafood to Burger King. But if one wants to have a truly memorable and delicious experience, they need to look no further than the Admiral Steakhouse in downtown Bath. From the time you walk in to the time you finish your last bite, the steakhouse will impress on all levels. You will not leave unsatisfied.
It was April 25th when I first went to the establishment. The bar was full, and my first impression was that it was a very crowded and noisy place, but I soon realized this was only because the local naval station was supporting a fundraiser there that night. The first sign that the experience was going to be good was an apology for the noisy crowd by the manager. I was then led into a back room where two other small groups were already seated. It was nice to get away from the noise, and shows that the managers care about the individual experience patrons have at their restaurant. It is also important to note the pride in the United States Navy that the Admiral Steakhouse showcases. There are many awards and commemorations for both ships and individuals on the walls.
The waitress who came to my table was friendly and personable, and not clingy like some can be. She too apologized for the crowd and explained the situation, and also told us it would be better to wait until the large crowds food was served before putting our order in so the kitchen didn’t rush our food and it could be cooked at a better pace. Quality was the main concern. She then laid out a warm loaf of sourdough bread, and I have to say it was delicious even though I usually do not prefer the taste of sourdough. It was some of the best pre-entrée bread that I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I decided against ordering an appetizer because I had seen the massive size of the steaks being served to other tables, and knew it would be better to save my appetite for the main course. However I can assume that the appetizers were also delectable because of the quality of everything else at the Admiral Steakhouse.
And it was a decision well made. I would never have finished the 16 ounce Delmonico with some of the richest Hollandaise sauce I have had in my life. The steak was a rare combination of smokey steakhouse flavor that also melted in your mouth. The level of tenderness was that of a steak usually reserved for the finest New York steakhouses. It was well seasoned and all of the ingredients seemed of high quality. The sides were also very enjoyable. The garlic smashed potatoes were delicious. There was another option of cheese gritz that my dad ordered, and that too was surprisingly good. It is hard to find gritz that tastes that good on this side of the Mason Dixon line, but the Admiral Steakhouse has done it. Every last bite of the steak was incredibly enjoyable, and it was defiantly more than just an average steakhouse.
For dessert, there was a wide option of cakes pies. I enjoyed a large slice of Boston cream cake, which was thick and rich. It defiantly did not taste like a store bought cake, and the coffee was also a very smooth blend. The Admiral Steakhouse is using good beans, and it is clear that they have a large emphasis on quality that is hard to find. Their chocolate cake also impresses, as they were rich but not bitter. They too are another good way to end the meal. In conclusion, you will find me back at the Admiral Steakhouse some day soon.

• Visited April 2013
Woolwich
“Admiral Steak house”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Excellent food choices, however up scale pricing. On the plus side, you ususally get what you pay for. Small seating, and limited parking.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Dennis Y
Maine
“Great Steakhouse!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband & I have eaten at Admiral a handful of times & we have had great experiences each & every time. The steaks are to-die-for...he actually tried one of the seafood specials & had eaters remorse! :-) Love the garlic smashed potatoes!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank TravelingFoodie86
coast of maine
“Just ok -”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Food was pretty good, but the tables are very close together. I think they forgot about us for a bit, as it took us FOREVER to get our meals (others had ordered after us and gotten their meals before us). Not sure if I would attempt Admirals again.

• Visited February 2013