“Great campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bass Harbor
Bass Harbor Campground
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were very lucky to find a campground with some space left for the 4th of July weekend; it made me worried that this wasn't going to be a good place, however we were very pleasantly surprised by the Bass Harbor campground and had a great time.
The campsites (we were in a tent, so I'll limit my comments to those sites) all had shade, a picnic bench and a fire pit area. Some other reviewers commented that the sites were too close together, but we didn't feel like this was the case. Hot showers were free (unlike other places we looked at), and dogs were allowed. The pool and rec room seemed great for people with kids.
The women running the place were very friendly and helpful, and assisted us with information on the free island shuttle (which stops right at the entrance), and getting a park ticket.
This is on the quieter side of the island, and quite far from bar harbor, but is perfect if you are looking for a quieter stay. I would definitely recommend this and would stay again.

Room Tip: the campsites along the row where the 120's are seem ideal, and we were very happy with our spot...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bass Harbor Campground

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We visited this campground in August 2012, while on a trip to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park. I was lucky to have found this one, because it seemed like other campgrounds in the area were sold out, or too expensive, or you had to pay to take a shower. There were plenty of trees for shade and privacy, although the paths to drive down were pretty narrow. The bathrooms were always clean when I went in there, and they were in walking distance from our campsite. Another plus was that even though we were on the edge of the island, we seemed to be pretty close to Acadia! The staff was nice, and seemed very helpful!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chelsey S
Reviewed October 4, 2012

On August 8th I contacted Bass harbor Campground to reserve 2 cabins for a family vacation. I did the reservation by phone and paid a deposit with a charge card. We were coming to camp on August 25th. On August 10 I learned that our granddaughter had to have emergency surgery and asked to cancel our reservation. At that time the people at the campground told me that they had a 21 day cancellation policy and refused to return my money. They are disputing the refund to my charge card and I have lost $500. if this is such a nice place why can't they rent a cabin with two weeks notice? I was shocked by the lack of concern for my family situation

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank 860Cindy
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was our fifth summer staying in a cabin at Bass Harbor Campground, which is on the southwest side of Mt Desert Island, often correctly called the quiet side of the island, compared to Bar Harbor.

We keep coming back to Bass Harbor Campground for two reasons. Because you just can't beat the value for the price -- less than $100 a night for a whole week. And, more importantly, because our kids love it here! Every day our 8- and 11-year olds swam in the heated outdoor pool. They rode their bikes around the campground. Our teenager chilled out in the cabin, enjoying the complimentary wi-fi, even though there’s not enough bandwidth for heavy gaming or videos. We all enjoyed roasting marshmallows at the campfire right outside our cabin. And our beagle enjoyed the smells of nature.

Quiet hours start around 9pm. The pool opens at 9am and closes at dusk. There’s a laundry room on premises as well as a small general store in the office. The staff are friendly and helpful. This summer one of the workers helped adjust the seat of one of our bikes. They all made us feel very welcome. Down the road is Gott’s Store, which serves awesome pizza. Around the bend is beautiful Bass Harbor Lighthouse, which you can drive, bike or walk to from the campground.

Do not mistake this lodging for a hotel room. It’s a cabin. The mattresses aren’t thick but they’re fairly firm. You’ll need to bring your own sheets and pillows. We bring our sleeping bags, too, because it can get a bit nippy at night. During the day eating at the picnic bench right outside our cabin, we were frequently visited by wasps; they never stung us but next time we’ll bring one of those big net tents to keep them and the mosquitos out.

Room Tip: We’ve stayed at three different cabins at Bass Harbor Campground – the Potting Shed, C3 and C7. All...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We were camping there the weekend of Columbus Day so the sites were not full. We found a nice spot away from most tents next to a small magical meadow, which at night was steeped in full moon's light. It was super quiet while we were there, the bathrooms amazed us as super clean and well maintained and the price was perfect. We usually stay at States campgrounds as they are the cheapest but this was a nice change not to have been greeted by grumpy rangers but rather two very nice and helpful ladies. I would go back there anytime was it not so far from NYS.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2011

While, this is a very clean and friendly place.I would NOT stay here at Bass Harbor again. Our site was squished between two others and I can literally hear every word everyone says, and basically "reach out and touch someone." No idea why they put us where they did, when they have plenty of delightful empty sites...maybe because we requested sewer. However, when we called they said, that we were in the woods, and secluded and no one was around us. We would have easily given up sewer for what we thought we were getting. We would have complained, but got in after the store was closed (7 p.m.). There was no picnic table, but once we asked, one was delivered in a timely manner. We really couldn't sit outside and enjoy much, as our fire pit faced someone's camper and automobile and trust me it was very close. The last thing I want to stare at is someone's mini van. As I said, there were many other sites, and I just wish we'd gotten one of those. It is also nearly 20 minutes in the off season from Acadia and Bar Harbor. We checked out Mt. Desert Campground while we were here and they are right on the water with very private sites...we'll be headed there next time.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the B section...much nicer sites and privacy!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bumblebeeMaine
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Clean restrooms and more private tent sites would help make this a better stay. Restrooms looked like they hadn't been updated since 1983. Loud diesel engine ran from 6 am to 8 am - sounded like a rock crusher nex to my tent.

• Stayed: August 2011
#1 of 3 in Bass Harbor
Highbrook Motel
Highbrook Motel
#2 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Bass Harbor Campground? Share your experiences!