“Not a good choice to try Maine seafood”
Review of Seafood Ketch

Seafood Ketch
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We ended up going to this place after a long day of hiking and were just too hungry to drive all the way to Bar Harbor without food, so we stopped at Bass Harbor hoping for a wonderful seafood dish. My husband ordered lobster that was clearly overcooked (how did they manage to spoil Maine lobster!). My fish was over salted; interesting, why would you need to put a lot of salt into your fish when you have crumbled feta cheese on top (why would you need to spoil fresh catch with feta cheese is another question). And my fish tasted like rubber - complete waste of money.
Only one good thing about this place is a pretty harbor view.

1  Thank Noraatc
There are newer reviews for Seafood Ketch

Reviewed November 24, 2013

This restaurant overlooks Bass Harbor where diners can sometimes glimpse Lucille the one-eyed seal trying to scavenge scraps from the fishermen motoring into the harbor. At least this is the story told to us by Melissa, our waitress here. As folks who eat out often, I must say she is one of the best waitresses we ever encountered, rattling off the specials by memory then right away offering to say them again. Wonderful attitude.
We enjoyed the fresh baked bread, in rather unique round mini-loaves, and the seafood was fresh and good. We got a $5 discount too because we brought it a Mt. Desert Island menu guide that offered one. I had a seafood bake and was a little disappointed in the portion size. It was tasty and fresh but not a lot of seafood in it. This seems to be the norm in dining out on Mt. Desert Island. The food is good, but it's like they're rationing out lobsters and other local seafood fare as if there's a war on. The lobster roll I ordered at a pizza joint near Boston was much larger than what I could get locally here. But I digress, since we didn't get a lobster roll here. And my wife enjoyed her scallops so she won't complain.
Someone else said it's the view here that makes this restaurant special and I would kinda agree. That and our waitress.

1  Thank michiganmand
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We have been coming to the Seafood Ketch for 20+ years. It is very consistent in both service and quality of food. I always order the escargot. They are some of the best I have eaten anywhere. For the non fish eaters they have a variety of "landlubber" choices. We almost always go on closing night (Columbus Day). Great deals on wine although the selection is more limited. The feel is local, the view of the working harbor is amazing and the food consistently good.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Seafood Ketch is a lovely little restaurant right on the water in Bass Harbor, which is a quiet fishing village. it is off the beaten path, but nothing is more than 20 minutes from Bar Harbor. This is a family owned restaurant for 30 years, and one of the owners is always there.
I wish I could say the food was excellent, but it was just mediocre. Their lobster roll had it all except taste. The lobster was very tender and there was a lot of it, but it had no taste. I had a fish chowder which was full of thickener and not much else. My friend had home made french onion soup which was way too salty for my taste. Then he had a salmon burger - salmon mixed with peppers, onions and panko flour on a bun which tasted fresh, but was just O.K. Again, it needed more flavor.
But the ambiance was lovely. Sitting outside under an umbrella and smelling the salt air was wonderful. It is a romantic place for lunch. They have inside and outside seating, friendly waiters, and the owner is always around asking how things are going.
It was the end of the season, and maybe they just let down a tad. Hopefully, they will be back next May with an improved chef.

1  Thank Jean H
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We had calamari and lobster at Seafood Ketch, right on the water at Bass Harbor. The seafood was good, the feel - rustic and basic, the staff was friendly and accommodating. Felt like I was in a little village and these were the locals doing what Bass Harbor locals have done for decades. This isn't haute cuisine by any means, but the seafood was fresh and well-prepared.