“Really Fresh Seafood”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We came upon this after a kayaking expedition and were recommended that we try this place. Very fresh seafood, and plenty of it. We felt like we had our money's worth. Views of the harbor are good, and the place if very friendly.

We could tell we were late season goers. The restaurant was quite at 8 PM on a Friday night...a few tourists but that was it. Service was great, but they brought appetizers and entries at the same time...kind of implying that they did not want to stay around much longer. They did not rush us out though.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We ate indoors but still had a little view of the bay. We were there late evening and didn't want to fight the mosquitos outside. The service was very good. We really enjoyed the Captain's plate (scallops, clams, haddock,etc). The fried haddock was edible but not really good. We enjoyed the ketch fries, salads with the dinners, and amazing bread.

2  Thank chicacabo
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed the appetizer special -- lobster and avocado egg rolls -- and local beer. Fresh, warm bread was yummy. And a lovely setting on the water over Bass Harbor. My family didn't love the fried fish (haddock?)

1  Thank jculverhouse
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This place is a deluxe lobster pound with a great view at sunset and comfortable seating. The service was casual, but fast and friendly.

The food was great. We started with the escargot & stuffed mushroom. We could have stopped there, they were delicious. However, we went forward & had a main course which was also great.

1  Thank DrBob41
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We always go to the Seafood Ketch when we're in the Bass Harbor/SW Harbor area. I checked out other menus in the area (SW Harbor and Bass River) and they have very eclectic selections which my husband would not care for.

This restaurant has great food. Some reviews are harsh but that may have been their experience. We've been here about 5 times and it's always good. My husband's meal, steak, was excellent, he said. My clam chowder was a bit pricey and not the best, but I didn't have to season it so that is always a plus. It's a very thick chowder, and tasty but still pricey and could be a bit better. The bread is delicious and always hot.Coleslaw terrific. Service was spectacular.

I ordered a gulf shrimp scampi with garlic rice. If you are a real scampi fan, ask for extra garlic in the sauce because they told me it has "some" garlic in it. This is not unusual for Maine. With our Italian and NY background, I had to ask for extra garlic in the sauce or I would've been disappointed. My scampi had the right amount of garlic (with the extra garlic in it), served over garlic rice (excellent) but the shrimp was undercooked. Many people are saying "overcooked" about their meals. Not so here -- however, I told the waitress, she was more than helpful, took it back, came back several minutes later and told me she would make sure it was cooked to perfection and would stay there to make sure I was satisfied. It was cooked right -- she was attentive enough to stay and make sure I didn't want to send it back again -- I didn't and it was very good. I can't say great only because I know what a great scampi tastes like, but again, this being Maine, you have to give a little leeway here, especially when it comes to Italian foods.

We stayed indoors like we always do, after taking photos of the harbor. In the back room, it's a little more private, nice ambiance, except for the pretentious people discussing their boat and all the places they've been. That could happen anywhere, and we've run into similar people all summer. Okay, I get it, you have a boat, congrats. We don't need to hear your conversation! Otherwise, room is romantic and has a great view. We will go there again and again.
I would suggest to the restaurant: change the chowder recipe, add more clams and you can work on the chowder base; also, make sure the shrimp is cooked through. We never had problems before this visit, but they corrected it promptly and with apologies. Also, rethink price of chowder. It's overpriced. Also, a few more selections on the menu would be nice.