“Rough Night”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Boston, Massachusetts
“Rough Night”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Spent a night here on a business trip. Room had an odor that just slapped you in the face when you walked in the door. Bedspreads were stained...overall had a dirty feel to it. Checked in late...so didn't ask for room change...just tried to sleep. A/C fan wasn't running properly...didn't sleep all that well. I had heard decent reviews of this place, so maybe this is an isolated case. But first impressions, if I am stay in Bangor, ME again, it won't be here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Truro, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our room was damp, smelled musty, the bathroom floors were dirty, and there wasn't a free breakfast. Other than that, the rooms were ok. Beds were comfortable. Pool was decent. Not bad for the price we got through Hotwire. Location was awesome... right off the I95 and close to restaurants, coffee shops, and Irving.

Halifax
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We arrived at the Ramada after driving 8 hours to find out that the 2 double beds/non-smoking room we had booked 2 weeks previous through the Ramada website was not available. I was told at this point that "sometimes when you book thru other hotel websites that we cannot guarantee the same room you had the reservation for" I told them I booked directly through their website and she says "oh, let me check" "No, it came through our system as a king, non-smoking" I was offered a king room, non smoking that had a pullout couch. I was NOT sleeping on a pullout couch, as I was there for the weekend to shop with my boyfriend and my mother and I wouldn't want her sleeping on it either. At this point, I went out and got my laptop and pulled up the reservation email - and took it back inside. The lady I initially talked to was busy, so I approached the other lady working. She told me "It doesn't matter what the email says, it came thru our system as a king room/non-smoking". and she said "Let me see what we have available" She said the only thing she could offer to do for me was to put us in a handicap double/non-smoking room for the first night, then we could come downstairs the next morning and see what was available. I was NOT happy. I went out to the car to call the 1800 customer service number, while my mother and boyfriend went in to express their concerns. While I was on hold, I called other hotels with my mother's cell phone and there were no hotels in Bangor for that weekend without paying 200+tax/night. My mother in the meantime came out fuming, saying the lady at the front desk was on the phone with her supervisor telling her that my mother was being abusive and yelling at her in front of other customers and that we didn't want to accept any of the rooms they offered, or that we didn't want to pay more Umm hello? My mother would never be abusive, but I am sure anyone who drove 8 hours and then receiving this service would be more than just a little upset, not to mention why should we pay more for a room we already had reserved?? and it wasn't a choice thing that my mother cannot breath in smoke. C'mon now.....The lady at the 800 number answered after a bit, and I explained what was going on. She said "pls hang on while I call the hotel directly" Within 5 mins she was back on the phone with me, telling me that she had a room for us and that if when we got to the room if there was a problem at all to give her a call back and the issues would be addressed immediately. She also told me that the room did go thru the system as a double/non-smoking and that it was changed ON SITE at the hotel at NOON!!! that day!. She apologized profusely and understood why we were all very upset.. At almost the same time, the front desk clerk came outside to tell us they had a room available for us that we requested. I stood for another 20 mins while the clerk talked to her supervisor on the phone to try deal with the "overbooking" issue, bc the system wouldn't let her put us in a room..and the whole time was talking about us like we weren't standing in front of her.. Then she asks me "would you like a room on the 1st or 2nd floor?" I was like "umm now there are 2 rooms available?" what was going on here? My guess is some other poor customers who had reserved their rooms previously were also going to get a big surprise when they went to check in later that evening *sigh*

We finally get to our room..It was ok. The internet was horrible, I had to keep connecting to the Econo Lodge next door b/c the Ramada connection kept disconnecting and unfortunately I work online, so I had to do some work while I was there and needed the internet. We also realized we had forgot to request a fridge for my boyfriends insulin, which took us a few mins between each other to figure out who wanted to go back up to that uncomfortable front desk situation again and request something else. When my bf went up, they said they didn't think they had any but would let us know. Noone got back to us, and we sat it over ice for the night. The next day he returned to the front desk, another lady was working and within a few mins there was a fridge at our door.

All we wanted was a clean room, with 2 double beds and non-smoking..that we could rest our heads while we shopped all day :) What we got was lots of headaches and the last night we were there, we were told they were going to start painting (another good thing for my moms allergies) but that the paint was supposed to be odor free. It wasn't that strong but it was bad enough that she had to take antihistamines and was stuffed up all night. We could have moved but we had so much stuff from shopping, it was too much of a pain.

We also had to call one morning b/c the drain in the bathroom sink had fallen closed and the thing to pull it up was broken, so we couldn't get the sink to drain.

What an experience this was...
This was my first and last Ramada visit...

1 Thank Trish F

Travelers are raving about these Bangor hotels

USA
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and will continue to call it home. But please be aware that this hotel has been around for decades and it has the build quality of the age. Sound echos up the hallway.. Exit number 2 slams when someone opens the outside door because of the change in pressure and I felt sorry for anyone near that door ( take hotel manager [;ease fix that door) Unfortunately, even it people are just talking at a normal level outside your room, the windows don't dampen the sound one bit. The pool is large, it is fairly clean and the beds are comfortable. Basically it is an average hotel.. nothing special.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Very friendly helpful staff, close to highway. Little outdated, but price reflects this. Pool area has just been spruced up and is great. Their location puts you within seconds of Interstate or minutes from shopping. Second time there, and we will go back !

Riverview, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel needs to be disinfected from the lobby to the rooms. Truly disgusting. We found pizza remnants under the beds, refused to walk on the carpets without our shoes on and the bathroom door could only be touched with sanitizing wipes. Not to mention the 20 minute wait to check in with 4 attendants at the desk and only one waiting on customers. Would not stay at this hotel ever again.

1 Thank Charlene H
Free_Martin_CHA, General Manager at Ramada Bangor, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

I would be interested in getting more details on your stay if you have the chance to call me at (207)947-6961. We work very hard to provide excellent customer service and guest room quality at all times. Your feedback is welcomed.

Free Martin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Very friendly staff, hotel is close to Hwy. for easy getting around. Internet and working area very good. restaurant service excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the excellent review. Our newly trained staff read these reviews often and they work very hard to provide great customer service.

We did make a huge investment in our wireless network recently and guests to comment that it is very fast!

We hope you stay with us again.

Free Martin