“Stay away, far, far away!!!!!!”

Howard Johnson Inn Bangor
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Checked in for a one night stay. Next morning no hot water. Cold showers for everyone. $20.00 taken off the bill. No ashtrays in smoking room. Everything worn & dirty. Upon checking out we had a $50 gift card and applied it to our bill. (Yes, it was good checked it not once but twice. Discovered when we got our credit card bill that our card was charged for the full price of the room. Screwed out of $50.00 bucks. The stay before this last one they lost our reservations. Thanks a bunch HoJo Bangor. Never again. Fool me once........................

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mainebear2
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Inn Bangor

Reviewed October 18, 2010

Would never recommend this hotel, rooms were smelly, floors not vacuumed, cigarette ashes on floor, no hotel info in room, beds not made properly, no info regarding shopping malls, etc. Restaurant service very slow but food was average.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fki1450
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I had to cancel a room for 2 nights as I had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights so when I called the receptionist told me it was cancelled and when I went to pay it wasn't cancelled. Then when we entered the hotel the smell was unbearable. The smell of cigarette smoked old carpet was terrible. The room was an alright size. There were 3 ladies and a child travelling. We started to unload our things and one of the ladies hauled back the bed covers and there was pubic hair everywhere. It was so dirty we just through the covers back up over the bed and got out of their as quickly as possible. We had only been there 20 minutes. We were willing to sleep in our vehicles if there were no other hotels available. We called The Econolodge directly across the street and stayed there and it was lovely and clean. I thought the Howard Johnson was a nice clean hotel but after reading all these reviews I will never stay here again even if it is a good price. Totally turned off.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Nic078
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We reserved a 4 day stay. The first day was acceptable, thanks to the manager!
However, the remaining 3 days, we had no cleaning service. Obviously, there is no interest in maintaining an acceptable standard of cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank vallit
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This hotel is worst hotel in the U.S, I found a cockarocah on my bed, ...........
and owner is selling it on the market, that's why they don't care there are so many bad reviews, during the 2 days stay, no housekeeping come to make up the room , and nothing i can say is good, except the location i think

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank stephanieyan_ny
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My husband and I had a 16 hour road trip to Halifax, NS, Canada, and we stopped in Bangor without any hotel reservations anywhere. The day we arrived was the first day of the Maine State Fair, and almost all of the rooms at all of the hotels we called were booked solid. We were exhausted and just needed a clean bed and shower, which is what we got at the Bangor Howard Johnson. The only room available was a smoking room, and for a nonsmoker such as myself, the stench was overwhelming. We opened the window to get some air. The bed was clean, the comforter, was old. The shower and tub were adequate, but when I was packing up my toiletries the next day there was a spider that had crawled into my bag and scared me. The person at the front desk gave us a good rate ($72), which is probably what it was worth.

If you need a clean bed, and don't mind a smoking room, and there's nothing else available, I'd say go ahead. The staff was very friendly and I did feel safe. For one night before another day of driving, this hotel was adequate.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glorisa
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Beware of this hotel! I booked a room in July 2010 using my credit card to guarantee the reservation only and paid cash upon arrival. My credit card was charged also so I paid double for 1 night. The receipt I got looked shady at the time and the clerk reassured it was an actual receipt. It was not, and so where the cash payment went is a mystery.
The room was not very clean, was a non smoking room that reeked of smoke and breakfast that was suppposed to be included was no where to be found.
NEVER again!!