“Cheap, fairly clean for the price.”

Howard Johnson Inn Bangor
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I stayed at the Howard Johnson Bangor at the begining of September, we just needed a cheap place to stay while we went on a girls shopping trip. We paid under $45 for each night, for the price. I truly believe in the saying " you get what you paid for" I wasn't expecting much for under $45 a night, so I mentally prepared myself for a stinky cheap motel stay, just somewhere to sleep. It really wasn't as bad as some of the reviews I have read. It was pretty clean and neat, we didn't find anything disgusting in our room. The bathroom was a fair size and there were no stains or mold. I do agree that they need an update, it look like they haven't had one since 1988. But if you're looking for just a cheap stay to spend more money shopping, it's really not a bad place. Great location, ok service, fairly clean.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We spent one night there, worse night of our vacation, I was actually afraid to get under the covers it was so bad. Pillow cases looked as though they hadn't been washed so I imagine the sheets were the same(I didn't even look I was so grossed out), milk left in the fridge from who knows when, hairs in the bathtub and a hole in the wall where a vent should have been. Guess the mice didn't need to come in, they probably had better!! Oh yeah, and to top it all there was a condom in the drawer where normally you find the Bible!!!! One more night back in Bangor before we cross the border and it will NOT be at HOJO.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is my third stay.At $54 us a night I have few complaints.Room needed a dusting
but other then that the bathroom was clean,the bedding was clean,everything we needed
was in the room and the staff were friendly.Location is also good.Only thing lacking is free
breakfast but Tims is across the street and McDonalds is a 5 minute drive.As long as it
stays clean I will be back (remember it is a place to sleep,you are not buying the room).
Satisfied travelers from Moncton NB Canada.

Room Tip: Book ahead and get 20 percent off 2 nights stay.
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This hotel was disgusting, hadn't been cleaned in awhile, rug and walls were filthy. Toilet did not flush, had to use a plunger for every flush, shower didn't drain. When room next doord took shower at same time there was no shower pressure at all and what came out was freezing. There was even hair in the bedding. We called a few times, spoke to 3 different people about the toilet, no one ever came. They didn't clean our room the next day, didn't even get fresh towels had to go to front desk and she told us to flag down a cleaning lady. Will never stay there again! Motel 6 was even cleaner than this....

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I thought this would be a pretty decent place for one night, shop all day and then go to sleep. I would NEVER go back or advise anyone to go there.

We checked in, opened our bar fridge, there was left overs in there from god knows how long. Burn marks in the bedding, mold on the ceiling, hairs in the tub. I urned the TV on, it didn't work. I called down to the front desk, all he said was "Oh yeah, that tv doesn't work". He did send us to another room. Obvioulsy they don't care much about appearences....hasn't had a good cleaning in years. Made me wonder if our sheets were even washed.

Long story short, our night was awful. I didn't even want move it was so gross. Didn't sleep a wink, the heater was so noisy it actually made more noise than the air planes flying over head.

AVOID this place everyone!!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Dirty. Dingy. The edges and corners of the carpet had not be cleaned for ages. Yucky. I was too exhausted when I checked in at 11p to even think about finding another place. Big mistake. I thought I could live with the problems but I was wrong. I was unable to sleep for all of about two hours.

The room was musty and stank of cheep perfume with undertones of cigarette smoke. I used the ironing board and it made my shirt stink the same way; and now that I am home and washing my clothes, my dirty clothes bin smells like the room, too. I think my other clothes must have adsorbed the odor, too.

Mold on the shower curtain. A forgotten cleaning cloth on top of the shower curtain. A black hair on the bathroom counter. The blower plug was dangling in the sink!

The top sheet was so thin it was lake gauze. See through--really! There was a balcony and the windows were both unlatched; there was no screen on one of them. One screen had been removed so smokers could climb through the window and smoke on the balcony. There were foot prints below the window and a cigarette butt and match on the balcony. This was a non-smoking room. I was in Maine to attend the memorial service of someone who had died of lung cancer.

I will never use a Howard Johnson motel again nor will I use any other Windham motel either. Someone wrote in another review that if someone says their room was clean, it was likely a fake review. I agree.

However, if you use so much scent people can smell you coming--especially if you do that to cover up cigarette smoke--and you do not have hygienic personal habits, Howard Johnson is for you.

Room Tip: Do not book a Windham motel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Brenden_11
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The room was clean.The bed was a full not a queen.But for $ 63.00 I got just what I paid for perfect for a one night stay.will stay there again when I am up there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family