“Welcome to the Bates Motel!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
GreenLeadersBronze level
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Welcome to the Bates Motel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

What can I say. We wanted to stay at a cheap hotel for our shopping trip to Maine, but this was not what we were expecting. The lobby was shabby with a sad attempt at interior design using 80's decor, an old couch and TV (turned so that the counter staff could watch it). We thought that things might improve as we progressed to our rooms but were immediately faced with the stale, creaky, cigarette scented elevator. Looking up at the overhead light I was greeted by the shadowy carcasses of dead bugs, trapped long ago in the dusty fixture. We stepped off into a dark hallway; the lights were dim, the carpet was dark rusty brown, and the wallpaper was old and tattered looking. The only thing it was missing was some yellow police tape or a learing serial killer at the end of the hall. By the time we had found our room, I had resigned myself to the fact that we had gotten what we paid for. The furniture was about 30 years old, the TV placed at the foot of the bed was way to low to comfortably watch, and the bathroom looked like something off an oil rig. It was all very strange and I did not sleep well due to thoughts of bed begs and coach roaches. This place is a fine choice if you don't have any standards, want to shoot yourself up with illegal substances all night or have plans to knock yourself off without being bothered by the land of the living. What a hole.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LMsTourDeWorld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Halifax, NS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

I do not mind staying at this hotel at all. I didn't find the rooms dirty - they just need to be updated. Also, the dim lights in the hallways do not help the atmosphere.

Their breakfast room is very bright, new and clean. There is always good choices for breakfast. They also have a new pool so I could imagine that this would be a great spot for families on a budget. We'll be staying again.

• Liked — I like the price and the free breakfast
  • Disliked — The rooms need to be updated and the dim light in the hallways
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
NEW HAMPSHIRE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2006

They charged me 2 nights for a one night stay. I called and they admitted the mistake and said the manager, "Reg" would take care of it....................however a week later I am still trying to get them to refund the overcharge.

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank FITNESSS

Travelers are raving about these Bangor hotels

Halifax, NS
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2006

Stayed here in March and it was just "ok". But, that's all I need when I'm not staying long in the room and looking for inexpensive rates.

Stayed here with friends on a shopping trip in October. I can't tell you how disgusted and embarrased I was! I told my friends that it's an inexpensive place with no bells and whistles. But, what we got were dirty rooms that were disgusting. You could taste the smoke in my room. I was told that you can't guarantee that you'll get a non-smoking room if you book online.

I guess I just got lucky with the room I had in March. Unless a hotel can deteriorate that much in 6 months!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — DO NOT STAY HERE!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank coachamac
St.John's
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2004

Peeling wallpaper and rusting door frames to the bathrooms-the outside is not too bad but the inside needs a facelift. Yes, this is Econolodge but no excuse for finishes that resulted in a less than clean impression. Waiting at the reception desk while one of the receptionists finished a personal call. Would not stay again.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank dkeith
Old Orchard Beach, ME
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2003

Located at the junction of I95, I395, and US 2. Clean average size rooms at low cost. Downtown 2 miles, Bangor Mall 4 miles via I95

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business