“Now this is my idea of camping”

BEST WESTERN White House Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Maine
“Now this is my idea of camping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed at the best Western as valentines day gift to one another. We stayed in the Wilderness Lodge, one of several themed suites. It was fun and luxurious.
I have always wanted to go camping , but I like a shower and a shampoo everyday, shave my legs etc. I also would not like wildlife knocking on my tent flap. This wilderness suite is my idea of camping. Yea!
Best Western I will return to try another suite. Thanks for a great evening.
Lynne

• Liked — The wilderness Suite
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lynnepaul7805

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Strafford, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel many times and every time it is always clean and quiet. They have great rates and they also have pet-friendly rooms which we found to be very convenient when traveling with the dog.
We like the location because it is right off of several main routes. The staff, especially the front desk staff, is always pleasant to deal with and they are always accomodating.
We always stay here when visiting family and we would never go anywhere else!
Also, don't forget to visit Disart's for a delicious breakfast! It is so close and always delicious!

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank bettslevinefam
Hyattsville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

I called this hotel at the last minute and was given a newly refurbished room with a fire place, a huge bed and a massive bathroom. Not sure if this is representative of all the rooms, but this room was amazing (I think it might have been a suite of some sort, so you might want to inquire) and it was at a very reasonable rate ($80). Incredibly clean and looked very new. Breakfast was nothing special, but the quality of the room more than made up for it.....highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank brad88
Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2007

Just before our flights back to Europe from Bangor airport I was looking for a hotel which had rooms with a refrigerator and microwave. This Best Western seemed a good option and I made a reservation well in advance.

There is easy access from I-95 and we arrived in the early afternoon. The girl at the front desk was friendly, but we didn’t get the ground floor room, which we had asked with our reservation. In stead we were put on the 3rd floor and what a disappointment this was!!!!! The room is right under the roof, the ceiling is sloping and the only small window gives a look at the sky! If you are claustrophobic this will be a horrible room. I tried to change rooms, but the hotel employee refused to give me another room, saying everything was full (although many people arrived much later than us). Also they had charged my credit card immediately upon arrival, before I even had a look at the room, not a very guest friendly gesture.

The room without having a proper window and view was very frustrating, but I already knew hotel rooms would be scarce that day, my husband and I just had to accept this room. So, be aware, that even if you make a reservation two months in advance, they still can give their most awful room. (It is rather weird, that their best ground floor room are smoking rooms!!!) The room had two beds and a table with two chairs on the lowest part of the room (my husband bumped his head against the roof a few times!) There was a small refrigerator, when I asked for a microwave this was brought within minutes. Although this would have cost extra, they didn’t charge me for that. The bathroom is clean, but very small.

Next to the lobby is a business center with two computers and free Internet. The location is far away from shops, for a supermarket we had to enter the Interstate again and drive app.15 minutes. The next morning breakfast was luxury continental, I took everything on a plate and brought it to our room. The airport is a 10 minutes drive away.

• Liked — The rate was okay for this type of motel if we were given one of the rooms on the 1st or 2nd floor
  • Disliked — The room on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BA-traveler
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

Recently stayed at this location with only internet reviews to go on. We had a huge second floor room with a fireplace, couch, desk, chair and king size bed. AWESOME!!! Clean and well maintained, really enjoyed our stay there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone I knew. Also had great name brand bath room amenities.

• Liked — huge room with fireplace
  • Disliked — took the stairs a lot because elevator was out of the way
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lesndave
Elmira, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

I stayed at this hotel while enroute to Canada on 8-17-07. At first glance, it's nothing special. The room was all right, clean, but kind of shabby for the price I paid. The breakfast the following morning helped to make up for that though. The eggs, sausages, and waffles were unexpected. It's served in a bar, which I found kind of unusual and the room was packed...I felt sorry for the girl working there...she did a great job staying on top of everything, but didn't stop running for the entire half hour I was there. I wouldn't mind staying here again, mostly just for the easy access (right off I-95) and the breakfast.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie0
Amherst, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2007

Let me start by saying that this motel is a happy joke in our family. We have stayed here on several occasions, in spite of the fact that it is shabby, slightly overpriced, and sits in the shadow and aroma-path of one of the largest landfills on I-95. We have stayed there because it gets us part of the way to our real holiday destination in Atlantic Canada, and because we are addicted to the poutine at Dysart's truck stop down the way.

On this occasion, we reserved two non-smoking rooms on an upper floor and arrived at 5:30 pm to discover two first-floor smoking rooms waiting for us. These weren't just any smoking rooms--the kind where you try to convince yourself that you can handle it, because it's just for one night. These were rooms where acrid fumes poured out of the door the minute you unlocked it (and the smell sticks in your nostrils for hours afterwards).

Okay, so reservations get messed up; okay, so a motel chooses to maintain its property to a standard that is acceptable to chain smokers. Our biggest problem was the handling of the situation. The receptionist: insisted that we had reserved smoking rooms; insisted that the there were no other rooms and that she couldn't do anything for us; in fact, never made the slightest suggestion as to alternatives; and, of course, never appologized for the inconvenience. So, on a Saturday night at 6:00 pm, we headed back on the road, driving 200 miles north to St. John, New Brunswick, where we were welcomed at a Holiday Inn Express which was 100% smoke-free.

We aren't sorry to cross this motel off our list forever. But we will miss the poutine.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family