“"Hail to the chief... Zzzz..."”

Best Western White House Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My family and I travelled to Bangor for Rememberance Day/Veterans Day weekend for a couple of days of unadulterated retail therapy. We opted to stay at the Best Western due to its high overall rating on Tripadvisor and its competitive prices and amenities with other hotel chains in the vicinity. Check in was so fast and easy. I pulled up to the front doors, strolled over to the desk and handed them my ID/info. In a flash, I had our hotel keys in hand. The hotel was somewhat hard to find... Believe it or not, other reviewers who mentioned the large pile of dirt adjacent to the interstate off ramp helped us know we were in the right place. I love the fact that the road to the hotel was not on the main traffic artery. It meant that only people staying there used the road so other than the background din of the hwy, 4 wheeled noise was minimal. Our room was easy to find, about half way down the hall on the second level. The room was perfect for what we needed: Two queen beds and a bathroom. The beds were soft and sleep inducing. After the long road trip and marathon shops we were powerless to resist. The room was neat, clean & tidy. The bathroom housed a toilet and the tub, the sink was across the room from the bathroom; a unique feature. At first it feels that this will cause pedestrian traffic congestion right by the door, but once the door is closed and all occupants settled there is no problem with its use. Comfy carpets in the halls reduce the sound of footfalls for guests staying in rooms on the first floor. Our room we stayed in has a microwave, two fridges and plenty of storage space for jackets, bags and clothes for our stay. Comfy chairs beckoned beside the table allowing a rare opportunity for those who like to get lost in a book to do just that. The decor was tasteful and added to the rooms ambiance actually making the room feel larger than it was. I awoke every moring to the latest edition of the local paper outside my hotel room door. This is great for guests who want to both get away from the world for awhile but still keep abreast of current affairs. A Breakfast "buffet" was included serving muffins, breads, waffles, eggs, sausages, cereals, yogurts, coffees, teas, milk and juices. The breakfast hours offered were 6am to 10am which meant that if one slept in there was still a chance to eat a delicious meal at your own pace before starting the days activities. The pool was closed due to the time of year but the chill in the air meant it was not missed. The whirlpool/hot tub/spa was a special treat and melted away any aches and pains picked up throughout the day. The family and I had a blast staying here. Thanks to the White House Inn, we are looking forward to our next trip to bangor and our next stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor on the north side of the building at the time of booking. The hote...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We appreciate hearing you enjoyed your stay. Your picture is adorable and should be in our brochure. We look forward to your next stay.

There are newer reviews for Best Western White House Inn

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Excellent staff. Rooms clean, neat, well kept. Recent renovations have only improved the property. We live in northern Maine and make it a point to stay at this hotel when returning from an extended road trip.
The heated, outdoor pool (when open seasonally) is a refreshing amenityl The breakfast is fine for a quick start in the morning.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are best.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear you are happy with the renovations we have done. Its nice to hear when our guest notice and like the hard work we put into our property. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great place to stay! We stayed for only a night to see family in the area but the room was really clean, bed was comfy and the massage chair in the room was heavenly! Didn't eat breakfast there but it smelled good; we went to the truck stop around the corner (Dysarts), which has literally one of the best breakfasts in Bangor. There isn't much of a view but honestly unless I'm on the water or someplace tropical I don't really care. The people behind the desk were nice, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mdichica
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and let us know how we are doing. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and also Dysart's next door. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

Pulling into this hotel I simply wondered where the heck are we... around you are a truck stop, another truck stop, the interstate and a pile of dirt that I am sure use to be a landfill.. there is nothing around... Bangor is at least 7 miles away, so to run out for a quick supper (that was not a truck stop meal) entailed a long drive, something neither my husband or I was really up for since we had just drove 5 hours to get to this stop on our vacation. Anyway, the check in.. I think we were bothering the front desk guy by actually using the hotel...we finally got our key and found elevator to the 3rd floor (we requested a fireplace unit) and king bed.. yes it did have this however the slant of the ceiling did not allow for an "opening" window, just a glorified skylight, which when you opened the blind all you saw was the roof of the building in front.. so really why bother.. down went the shade and on went the air... The breakfast was the highlight of our hotel stay.. it was good for a hotel offered breakfast, someone even made baked beans.. so this i give 4 stars.. but the rest of the stay will remain the 2 stars I gave it and the guarantee we will not return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank travelling love... A
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. As your profile indicates you are from Bangor, Maine, you must know Bangor is not a large city distance wise. Yes, we are on the south side of Bangor conveniently located beside the interstate. Bangor itself is not a large city and the last Bangor exit from us is 7 miles north, at the most a ten minute drive. There is a wonderful seafood restaurant at our exit called Anglers. Dysart's across the street is a truck stop with a family style restaurant that while not fancy has great homemade food. Dessert and the homemade breads alone are worth stopping for. They have been voted many times as best breakfast and desserts. It is very popular with the local people and travelers alike. I am very sorry that you did not like your requested third floor room which feature cathedral ceilings and skylights. These are requested by many of our repeat customers who like the unique design of the rooms. I am glad to hear you enjoyed breakfast. We are quite proud of what we offer our guests on our "continental" breakfast. We hope you were able to enjoy the outdoor heated pool, large indoor hot tub and our exercise room. We do have many styles of rooms available. Hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I wanted a hotel close to the airport and this looked decent on the web. We only stayed one night and our room was on the first floor next to the stairwell leading up to the second floor. Needless to say the noise level was horrible from the stairways, the parking lot and from the upstairs area and the room smelled like urine. Being next to I95, the traffic noice was ongoing all night long and was extremely loud. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Find another hotel to stay at if you want peace and quiet
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
whitehouse3737, Manager at Best Western White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very sorry that your stay was not to your satisfaction. We are conveniently located beside Interstate 95 and do not get many complaints about noise. We have recently renovated all our rooms on first and second floor. Part of this renovation included replacing the first floor hallway ceiling tiles. We are currently working with the ceiling tile manufacturer as we have also noticed these tiles do emit a faint odor that is sometimes noticable when it is humid, as it has been lately. We hope to have this problem rectified soon. In the future, please do not hesitate to notify the front desk of any problems. We may have been able to move you to a different floor. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve your lodging needs.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We stayed here the night of Hurricane Irene- stayed nice and cozy with no worries. The only problem was that the power kept flickering off and on and there wasn't a flashlight in the room, but other than that, the stay was excellent as usual. Nice clean room and a wonderful breakfast. Excellent, friendly staff.

Room Tip: if you want a themed room, make sure to ask when you make your reservation - the rooms are very cl...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you had another great stay at our property. I would agree that the theme rooms are definitely worth trying. I am glad you got out of Hurricane Irene and had a nice dry, safe stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Check in & checking out was very easy and the people at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. They have recently rennovated this hotel which I liked. The room was very nice and spacious. The only reason I did not get a good night's sleep was the a/c in the room - it could have woken the dead. I like a cool room to sleep in and it was very hot and stuffy when I got inside so I put it on to refresh the room, which it did but I couldn't leave it on during the night since it was so loud. I turned it off and opened the window to get fresh air but unfortunately there was a huge spotlight right outside my window. Basically I didn't get much sleep that night. I could have called the front desk and asked for a new room but after driving 5 hours, I was exhausted and didn't really feel like getting dressed, getting packed and moving to another room. The breakfast in the morning was OK - good enough for me to start the day.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad that you were happy with the renovations that have been done. I apologize for the A/C being too loud for you. Please feel free in the future to contact the front desk. We staff the desk 24 hours for our guest's convenience. Someone may have been able to make some adjustments to make it more quiet or moved you to a room that would have been more comfortable for you. Hope to see you in the future.