“Country Inn at the Mall, great place to stay”

The Country Inn at the Mall
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Great place to stay,with very friendly staff. We have been there several times. Ask for the "internet discount" to save a few more dollars.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda D

Reviewed May 14, 2012

I secured two hotel rooms for a conference months ahead of time. While 45 min. away from the hotel, I rec. a call from a frantic and tired friend that the hotel would not allow to check in a rest with out an IMPRINT of the card I had already given them. I explained to the staff that I was only 45 min away, and that they could certainly run the card I had given them. They would not budge, and denied that there was a manager present. I expressed that this was very poor hospitality service and the young woman on the phone with me got very snarly, and advised me I could "see a manager in the morning (this was 5pm btw..not midnight) since I was already going to be there." Very, very immature attitudes coming from the FRONT desk! Then she proceeded to speak ill of me (things I will not repeat) in front of other patrons, as well as my friend.
My anger subsided before I got there, and decided to cut the girl a break, but soon was reminded that training is needed all over this hotel. I do not even need to bring up the fact that the "charming" rooms are unlike what is advertized and haven't been charming since 1985. But I digress, I could have forgiven all of that had I knot caught the maids talking and joking about the guests as the cleaned the rooms, and again on the back porch while they smoked. It is lovely to walk through such a cute back porch that is for guests in a cloud of smoke and veiled hostility. I have been in customer service for over 15 years, and this hotel needs training, badly. I will not stay there again, and intend to inform the organizers of our conference.

Room Tip: Go stay at Quality Inn.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tammy R
CountryInnattheMall, Manager at The Country Inn at the Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Tammy R.,
I want to thank you for your time to complete a review on our property. Whether a review is positive or negative, feedback is essential for us to review policies and make the proper changes/training so that a situation such as your can be handled properly in the future.
I want to apologize that our staff did not provide you with the quality of service that you and your friends deserved. We pride ourselves on making sure that all guests have a comfortable stay here at the hotel and feel welcome to continue to come back again in the future. I have spoken with the staff that were working during your stay, and have reminded them of both our policies of customer service and our property standards.
Russell C. - Assistant General Manager

Reviewed April 24, 2012

April 14,2012
We have stayed here a few times when we are in Bangor. The staff is always friendly and the rooms clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LanJacMur
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stopped here with our 3 year old daughter for the night. As if the smell of pot in the halls wasn't bad enough, in the middle of the night we saw a bed bug crawl by our daughter while she slept. Left immediatley (and drove 3.5 hours home in the middle of the night) and now I get to spend the day cleaning our vehicle and belongings. Disgusting place!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DisgustedFrederciton
CountryInnattheMall, Manager at The Country Inn at the Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with the Country Inn at the Mall. Every time a guest gives us feedback, whether positive or negative, we have a chance to improve and we appreciate this chance.

We work very closely with a local pest control service agency, and take a very proactive stance with issues of any pest. When we received report of your complaint we immediately took the room in which you stayed off market, and had our trained staff inspect your room. After this inspection was complete, we found no evidence of bed bugs in the room. In regards to having a bug of any kind crawl across your daughter we do understand your anger and concern, and want to sincerely apologize.

In regards to a marijuana smell in our hallway, we are a non-smoking facility. Unfortunately there are occasions that a guest does not follow our policy. When a report of smoking in the building is reported to the desk or discovered by our staff, the guest is then spoken to and depending on situation, they are asked to leave the hotel and a cleaning fee is charged to them. Also, when a guest reports discomfort in any of our rooms we always do our best to find accommodations that will be comfortable. In this case, with a report of smoke smell we might have moved your family to another part of the hotel while we looked into where the smell might be coming from.

Once again I would like to apologize for your unpleasant stay but hope that you may try us again in the future so that you can see that the events of your most recent stay at our hotel is not a regular occurrence for our guests.

Russell C. - Assistant General Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is a great place to stay for families. We have stayed here several times on our way to skiing and cape cod in the summer.
The rates are very reasonable. The rooms are always clean. The place is quiet and the staff are very helpful and friendly.
The breakfast in the morning is fabulous and it is in a great location.
We have never been dissatisfied with the Country Inn at the Mall.
It is not fancy but inexpensive and a good deal when travelling with kids.

Room Tip: I always ask to be on the parking lot which is dark and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank hellosaraho
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I always choose County Inn at the Mall when staying in Bangor, Maine. It is the cleanest, most comfortable hotel in the area and best value for the money. It has a very nice continental breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Once you enter the front entrance & walk past the lobby, you've now past the best looking part of this dated hotel. I liked the multiple entrances along the parking lot, so your room isn't far from a outside door. Me & my wife are convinced the building used to be a former school by the layout. The location is great if you are on a shopping trip, everything is close by. Unfortunately our room had a malfunctioning heating/ac unit which was set for heat only, but for some reason it would turn it's a/c compressor with no fan for a while then the heat with fan would come on. Upon doing this the unit would then make loud cracking noises "like ice breaking" which woke me up a few times through the night. I was a bit disappointed, with the frozen discs that you had to microwave for breakfast, oh, I meant the eggs & sausages. Overall, I'd say this place was average, but I have gotten more for my money at other hotels.

Room Tip: Book alittle in advance, because of it's close location to the mall/shopping & Canadians loo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple