“Not What We Remember”

Bangor Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed February 22, 2011

We ended up leaving for a four day vacation to southern Maine a day early because of an impending snow storm so we didn't want to spend too much extra money to stay an extra night. The rate was great but like they say "You get what you pay for". The room was very dated and not the cleanest place which really surprised me since my sister and I stayed here a few years back on a shopping trip and this was a decent motel for the money. My daughter didn't even want to take a shower there and she just loves to take showers every day. I don't think I slept more than two hours total because the beds were the hardest beds we have ever "slept" on. We all agreed that we would not stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank madtown1962

Reviewed November 30, 2010

This is a very basic hotel for sure. We were a group of four on a bus tour and the room was quite small for the four of us staying. Unfortunately the beds that we had were doubles. Luckily we are all small people so we managed. The room itself was not fancy and the decor was dated, but clean. Another issue we had was even though our room did not smell like cigarettes, when others in rooms close by were smoking we could smell the smoke coming through the door. We took off the comforter and put it along the bottom of the door to get rid of the smokey draft. The continental breakfast was okay, nothing special - would have been nice to have some yogourt, but was mainly cereal, fruit salad and bagels or toast. We were in Bangor to shop so this hotel suited our needs. The location is good for shoppers, lots of nearby stores and the hotel ran a shuttle for us. The front desk staff seemed abrupt and we could understand some of the negative comments, but I think they just come across that way as they were very nice once we talked to them and accomodated us with whatever we needed.

The Olive Garden next door was terrible, our food was cold, one meal didn't arrive at all and the service was mediocre at best. We also ate at "Green Tea" we were a little leary because there did not appear to be many diners when we went in - this place served Chinese and Japanese food and was just off to the side of the Kmart plaza. Two of us had Sushi and two of us had Chinese food. The food was fantastic!! The service was excellent and we left happy and full - the wine by the glass started at $3.95 and the food was priced very reasonably and the decor was nice. If you are in Bangor I recommend eating here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mum2twngrls
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This hotel offers clean rooms and the perfect location for anyone travelling for shopping. It's not a chain motel but it offers everything you need. Continential breakfast could have more fruit options.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank SHOPPRO2
Reviewed October 10, 2010

After reading some reviews I was skeptical about staying here but other hotels in this area were full and we didn't have much of a choice. To writer of "Beware of Six Foot Snake In Reception" REALLY????? Was all the drama necessary and the part about the snake being hungry in the morning? Was he supposed to eat the guests in the breakfast area? I'm confused, because when I met Jimmy the snake I was very disappointed, I was expecting to meet Anaconda: The Hunt For the Blood Orchid type of snake, but instead it turned out Jimmy the snake - garden style snake ....so for those of you who may be rethinking to stay here because of that review, I would recommend you not. I have done alot of travelling and stayed at many hotels and this if fine. No it's no 5star, but the staff were great, the free breakfast was great (one of the better free continental's that I have had at other hotels in this area), the room - yes the room is outdated, but clean, and yes the bathroom was blue , who cares. We didn't see any bugs that someone else had mentioned. We were in Bangor to shop and so was everyone else staying at the motor inn. Also the name is Motor Inn not Trump Tower so you should know what to expect. If your coming from Canada to shop and want a room at a good price & close location than there is nothing wrong here. They also provide shuttle service for shoppers , I thought that was a nice feature. The only thing we all found odd was no clock in the room. I think it would be a good idea to invest in some clocks. It's annoying having to wake up every hour saying " what time is it? " to start the day early for shopping or wanting to set an alarm. Just say'in.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jaco46
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The service was great and the room was clean. The put on an excellent continantal breakfast each morning . I'd recomend it to others . My friend has problems with her knees and they put us on the first floor near the door.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We enjoyed our stay here, it was very quiet. The complimentary breakfast is very very good, with all the usual items and more with a nice large dining area. It has free WIFI and a shuttle to the many many shopping malls. It is close to all the shopping and there are many dining areas close. We did walk to many but there are no sidewalks (cannot fault the hotel for this). It is easy to get to and from this hotel from the highway and we found it well situated for where we wanted to see and go ie shopping and downtown Bangor. Just one more comment, I think everyone should visit downtown Bangor, most people go for the big malls, but downtown is a nice area for this small city and worth a visit!

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Dan-Hfx
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Drove across Canada and the US and stopped here because it was raining and cheap(106$ which included a $10 key charge and a $10 guest charge - the starting rate was 79$) and other motels in the area cost more. The free wifi and breakfast helped make us make a decision to stay here.
The front desk agent told us she only worked there for a few months and still didn't know the ropes. She called the manager, whom was very nice (Ursla) three times during our hour long stop.
We checked in and first wanted to hop on the internet to email friends & family and let them know where we were. No internet in the room. We continued to try 4 rooms in the same block (moving our luggage and they would keep asking us if we had unpacked or made anything dirty because they didn't want to have to clean it again) and had an "internet technican" dressed in plain clothes who came along to the rooms with us. For about 2 minutes in one room we had internet, and were directly behind the office. Then we lost the connection, so I just called the front desk and she said she would contact Ursla. Ursla, I assume manages/owns the Hampton Inn (and myself, a Hilton Hhonors member and a huge fan of the Hilton chain) actually checked us out of the Bangor Motor Inn and gave us a rate of $79.00 a night at the Hampton Inn just minutes away, where we had no worries, a great sleep, and internet access.
My advice, save your money and time and stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple