“Huge Lobster Roll”

Friars' Bakehouse
Ranked #21 of 187 Restaurants in Bangor
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Friars' Bakehouse is a small bakery smack in the downtown of Bangor, Maine. It is operated by the Franciscan Brothers of St. Elizabeth of Hungary. The baking brother is a master at his craft. Due to the fact that the establishment has only one baker and all of the baked goods are artisan, you will not find the variety that is available at larger thaw and bake bakeries. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 a. m. until 2:00 p. m. When the shop is closed, Friars' breads are available at the Fairmount Market on Hammond St.Friars' Brewhouse is a adjunct to but, separate from the bakery. The baker has branched out and is now creating artisan beers in the same manner that he creates breads and pastries. The actual Brewhouse is located on the 34 acre grounds of St. Elizabeth Monastery perched on the side of Orcutt Mountain in lovely Bucksport, Maine. NO BEER IS SOLD OUT OF THE FRIARS' BAKEHOUSE! We have teamed up with Bangor Wine and Cheese Co. on Hammond Street. All of our fine brews are available there on a regular basis. Stop in at the Bangor Wine and Cheese an say, "Hello!" to Eric and Christine.
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I read reviews and love eating at unique places so I decided to stop in. Everything on the menu sounds delicious. I decided to go for the Lobster Roll and had no regrets. The homemade bread was fabulous. The roll was 3 times bigger than the ones my hubby and I had in Cape Elizabeth (which were $50 for two). For $16.00 you get the sandwich, a bag of chips, and a large chocolate chip (YUMMMMY) cookie. I also splurged for a Limed Lemonade. I hate lemonade because it always tastes artificial but this stuff was something I will crave. Yum...tart and fresh. I also picked up some freshly made blueberry scones. I will go back and hopefully enjoy some type of grilled cheese one day.

2  Thank foodE4Sure
There are newer reviews for Friars' Bakehouse

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I try to stop here for lunch whenever I'm in Bangor. Sandwiches are huge, soup is delicious and the corn bread is yummy. Each day there are different sandwich and soup choices. I like the homemade lemonade and cookies. If you enjoy the bread, there are loaves to take home.

This is the only place where the cashier said "bless you" after making change for me. There's something nice about that.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Recently stopped here for lunch. There was no place to sit either inside or out, so we just picked up whoopie pies to take with us...they were outstanding...great cake and plenty of creamy filling. Yummy!

1  Thank newarkdelawaregin
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Run and operated by the friars who make eating such decadent items like the mortal sin bun(with nuts) or the venial sin( no nuts) heavenly! The scones are fantastic. I could go on and on but I am making myself hungry.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I lived just outside of Bangor for the past year and was at the Friars' Bakehouse almost every week--sometimes twice! Every one of their meals is rich and hearty and you will never come away hungry. On the off chance that you still have some room after lunch, try one of their pastries or their delectable bread pudding (which tastes like it's spiked, but they swear it isn't!) Their Whoopie Pies are, indeed, the best I had in Maine, as they use a frosting-type filling rather than the usual whip. No cash and no cell phones--what a relief to take refuge in a place like that! It's a terrific atmosphere for reading or chatting with new friends that you meet at your table. And the friars are hilarious and kind, sarcastic with hearts of gold. Now, of course, you're not going to love EVERY dish that they have there, just like at any other restaurant. But I can personally vouch for the gourmet grilled cheese, any deli sandwich or bisque, and the chili with cornbread, among other things. The ambiance can best be described as Catholic solemnity with a sense of humor--sacred, but not stodgy.

1  Thank Meghan C