“not a memory maker”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Southwest Harbor, Maine
“not a memory maker”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

It wasnt worth even a light memory from when I went there many yrs ago so food no service must have been very good if I cant remember anything but never wanting to go bk

Hampden, Maine
“good attention to detail”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

While I have never seen more than my table and maybe one more occupied during a dinner service, the food and service are great. I understand the lunch is superb, just haven't had the time in my schedule to go.

Visited September 2012
Halifax, Canada
“OKay, Gave it a try based on reviews”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

When in Bangor we always go to the Oriental Jade but a reviewer of that restaurant indicated that the Panda Garden was better. I find that when it comes to Chinese food everyone seems to have their own preferences. Anyway, this time we gave it a try. It it not much to look at on the outside, hardly stands out on a downtown street. Kind of dark on the inside.. no windows.

Beware that there are stairs to negotiate once you are inside. We went at an odd time, around 2:20 PM, just missing out on the lunch buffet;; however the lunch specials were still available until 3 so we went for those. The prices were very reasonable, but I am comparing with Canada, so in fact might be average. The specials all come with a choice of soup plus brown or white rice plus the main item. I asked to have the soup replaced by a spring roll but was not allowed. I suppose there is a reason for this lack of flexibility but regardless I think it is not a good policy to refuse such requests. My wife didnt want soup either ... I ordered my lunch without soup (of course no reduction in price) but my wife took her soup though hardly touched it. The food was very good. We are used to fried rice as being normal so would have preferred that, but all in all we did enjoy the meal. The soft drink (soda) my wife ordered was quite inexpensive by restaurant standards.

Our major complaint is that while we sat and ate the workers were very close to us cleaning up the buffet table from lunch, making a lot of noise with water and generally being busy. The waitress should have seated us much farther away from this area, and it would not have been hard to do as we were the only customers the whole time we were there. I must say however that the waitress was certainly pleasant and attentive.

This was a trial visit for us and while it was okay, we are sure we will continue to go to the Oriental Jade when we visit Bangor.

Visited September 2012
Orono, Maine, United States
“Best Chinese Restaurant around!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is the best Chinese restaurant in town. The cooking is very authentic, some of it close to what we could get in San Francisco..It's always our choice for Chinese if we are going out to dinner.

Visited August 2012
Knoxville, TN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Service and Very Good Food”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We were on vacation in Maine a couple of years ago, and arrived a little too late to find available, open restaurants. After dropping my fiancee and her daughter off at the hotel, I stopped by this restaurant, which had just closed. To my surprise, the manager noticed my car, and let me know that if I was interested, they would prepare a "to go" order for me. I went inside as the staff was cleaning, and ordered my to go food. The food was good, but the service and the kindness of the manager was unforgettable. I regret that I haven't reviewed this restaurant until now (the date I provided is the closest one to my visit), but I only was able to locate the business card in a recent move. If we return to Bangor in future vacations to Maine, I would gladly revisit this restaurant when we have more time to spend there. But for now, thanks! This restaurant was well worth our visit!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank CorollaFan

Been to Panda Garden? Share your experiences!