“Not bad, not great”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We went to Captain Nick's while in Bangor last week, I've been there once or twice before for lunch, a few years ago. We all had steamers (clams) as an appetizer. The clams were fine, but dirty (clams live in mud, I know, but there are ways to clean them a bit better), the broth had no flavor, and be aware that they use unsalted butter. We had to salt the butter for both the clams and the lobster. Salt = flavor, so flavor was sadly missing. Lobster stew was also 'ok' but needed salt due to the unsalted butter, it did have a lot of lobster meat, which was nice and fresh. The lobster (I had the 1 pound) was just slightly overcooked; not enough to send it back, but not enough to truly enjoy it as I had hoped. It wouldn't come out of the shell, and I'm no lobster novice. The service was very good. The decor could use some updating as someone else mentioned. I wouldn't recommend this place, but I wouldn't tell anyone to stay away. It was just Ok.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

One of the best values around. The food was great, and Bob, the waiter was excellent.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This restaurant was close to our hotel at Bangor Airport, and was recommended by the front desk staff. The decor inside the restaurant is a bit worn, and could use some modernization, but it seemed to be populated by many locals who value it for the food. Portions were large, which made it a great value. Both my son and I had lobster, and we enjoyed every morsel. I thought the prices were fair, and the service was good, as was dessert. No complaints!!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We went to this restaurant after a recommendation from a campsite nearby. We have 4 children, ages 3-9 at the time, so we requested a table out of the main, busier area. We have been told by many people that our children are very good at restaurants, and they are! We were seated in a rail-car room and ordered our meal, consisting of 2 adult entrees and 3 childrens meals. The service was fairly slow, but it was very busy that evening. The food was okay...certainly not Maine seafood like we were told to expect, but adequate. We receieved the bill, and on the way to the cash we noticed we had been charged a "Large Party Fee" - 18.5%!!!! We didn't say anything because it was so busy, and we had been there long enough....still regret that. BTW, we didn't leave a tip.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The waiter was helpful and attentive. I was looking for a place that had fresh swordfish, which they had.