The Charles Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Colony Motel(Brewer)
View Hotel
All reviewscookie cuttercoffee shop next doorwest marketcomfy seatsstephen kingrestaurants and barsparking garagean older buildingchain hotelolder placestayed recentlyrestaurant next doorpenobscot riverroom was largesitting areaenjoyable stayking suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Dont spend your time and money going there. We couldn't wait to leave this hotel after only a one day stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jean C
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We booked this hotel on the basis of its website. Don't believe it - it is deceptive.

We agree with many of the other reviews - it is dirty and dingy. Upon arriving in Bangor, we could not drive on the street in front of the hotel (art festival in progress), so we were directed to the back and asked to park near the dumpster (horrors). Then we came in through the back of the hotel (horrors again).

The first impression was the carpets in the halls - stained and dirty. The front desk reception was piled high with papers and books - it seemed a miracle that the manager found our reservation. We asked for a "quiet room" and the response was "well, this is a downtown hotel." Little did we realize the impact of that statement.

Perhaps there are two saving graces for our room - it was large and the towels were quite thick. Other than those, there were no other saving graces. I dropped somethig on the carpeted floor, and when I knelt down to find it, I found remanents of cookies from previously occupants - obviously the room needed vacuuming.

The next morning, we left a note for housekeeping to vacuum the floor thoroughly and to leave extra hand towels. Well, the floor was vacuumed, but hand towels were illusive. Breakfast was nothing to brag about - we brought some of our own items.

But the worst thing of all was the noise. We tried to open our window for ventilation, but the street noise was so loud that we had to close (we were on the second floor near the back), but closing the windows did nothing to dampen he noise. But Saturday night took the cake.

There was a street festival happening during the three nights we stayed. Saturday night's concert (the stage was right outside the front door) ended around 10:00 - so that's OK. But, the bar next door started music (LOUD) at 10:00 and continued until 1:15 a.m. Even with the windows in our room closed, we heard the noise and felt the thumping. We almost called the police.

When we checked out on Sunday and I mentioned the difficulty sleeping we had on Saturday night, I told the manager that I almost called the police. Her response was " I wish you had. They have a permit for the music. I have tried calling the police and they do nothing. We were a hotel before the bar opened." Obviously, she had no sympathy for her guests - her customers.

Please do us a favor - do not stay in this hotel They need to receive a message that the price they charge is outrageous for the condition of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book a room at the Charles Inn - the service and conditions are deplorabe!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank FloridaRetiree2010
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I called to make a reservation and the "receptionist"? just laid the phone on the desk while she talked on the phone, answered someone's question, booked someone in.... Why do I know this? Because I listened to all the activity until I finally hung up the phone (and no, she never came back and said anything after she said hello). So I called back, got the answering machine. And I called back again, got the answering machine. Called back again, got the answering machine - I think you know the drill - for about 15 minutes. Still no answer. I was going to book a reservation. But, not now - if this is an indication of their customer service skills, I don't want to experience actual paying money to be ignored.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank flowerpotmen92
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This was an awful experience on our summer vacation. We stopped at this hotel for the night on our way to Kennebunkport from Quebec and had a terrible experience. The neighborhood is scary and the room was not nice at all. The bed was very old, the towels were thin and the sink area did not look very clean. We left very early in the morning and will never return to Bangor. I would suggest that people find a different stop on the highway for an overnight.

The woman at the front desk was friendly and welcoming, so that was a plus.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lswwest
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I am from Louisiana and I traveled through Maine in October 2010 with a couple of friends. We only spent one night here, but wish we were able to spend another couple of days. We walked in to some lively Cajun music coming from the New Orleans themed bar area beside the lobby. It immediately felt like home. The hostess, Connie was very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is old and full of character. Being familiar with several old hotels in the French Quarter of New Orleans, I felt like I was in one of those. Charming and warm. This is not a cookie cutter Holiday Inn Express, which is why I choose it. The rooms were comfortable, slept with the window open on a cool October night and never heard any street noise. Within easy walking distance of several bars and restaurants. We really enjoyed Paddy Murphy's Irish Pub right across the street. And Connie greeted us when we returned at 11:00 pm. She chatted with us and served us strong drinks at the bar until 1am. Great place. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends