“Never even got there!”

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Maine
“Never even got there!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I called to make a reservation and the "receptionist"? just laid the phone on the desk while she talked on the phone, answered someone's question, booked someone in.... Why do I know this? Because I listened to all the activity until I finally hung up the phone (and no, she never came back and said anything after she said hello). So I called back, got the answering machine. And I called back again, got the answering machine. Called back again, got the answering machine - I think you know the drill - for about 15 minutes. Still no answer. I was going to book a reservation. But, not now - if this is an indication of their customer service skills, I don't want to experience actual paying money to be ignored.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank flowerpotmen92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This was an awful experience on our summer vacation. We stopped at this hotel for the night on our way to Kennebunkport from Quebec and had a terrible experience. The neighborhood is scary and the room was not nice at all. The bed was very old, the towels were thin and the sink area did not look very clean. We left very early in the morning and will never return to Bangor. I would suggest that people find a different stop on the highway for an overnight.

The woman at the front desk was friendly and welcoming, so that was a plus.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lswwest

Travelers are raving about these Bangor hotels

New Iberia, Louisiana
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I am from Louisiana and I traveled through Maine in October 2010 with a couple of friends. We only spent one night here, but wish we were able to spend another couple of days. We walked in to some lively Cajun music coming from the New Orleans themed bar area beside the lobby. It immediately felt like home. The hostess, Connie was very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is old and full of character. Being familiar with several old hotels in the French Quarter of New Orleans, I felt like I was in one of those. Charming and warm. This is not a cookie cutter Holiday Inn Express, which is why I choose it. The rooms were comfortable, slept with the window open on a cool October night and never heard any street noise. Within easy walking distance of several bars and restaurants. We really enjoyed Paddy Murphy's Irish Pub right across the street. And Connie greeted us when we returned at 11:00 pm. She chatted with us and served us strong drinks at the bar until 1am. Great place. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank rluke1971
NEW YORK
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This is an old hotel. It is owned by a family that has tried on purpose to keep it original as possible. If you stay here it must be with the understanding that it as if you are staying in a hotel from the 1800's. The place has a warm charm. It is like staying over an old friends home. The breakfast is fine--eggs --meats--french toast ect...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2010

First impression walking in, dingy and dirty. Carpets all over the hotel looked like someone had been murdered there.Wish I would've taken photos. Rooms smelled. Had to park in rear of building near dumpsters. ZERO safety. There were bums walking around everywhere. Felt very unsafe. Inside building it smelled. I decided to lay down on the bed and instinctly placed my jacket over the pillows so my skin wouldn't touch them. My husband went downstairs and walked into staff yelling at each other about boyfriends only wanting sex etc... unappropriate. The room made us feel like we'd be visited by a ghost at night. Stayed less than an hour and hear sirens at least 4 times. Called expedia and asked to get our money back. Had paid 100$ for room. Found a great clean hotel near Bangor mall for same price. Didn't regret our decision AT ALL. Only perk of hotel was that there was a little dog downstairs (pug called Hailey) that made us think of our own dog. NOTHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS PLACE. Sad scary hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JulieLuc12
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed at the charles in mid october.. clearly it is an older building and could use some remodeling to compare with a new hotel-- but I clearly enjoyed my stay more than I would have if I stayed at ANY holiday/hampton/quality inn.. I just hate the cookie cutter..and it cost $30 less per night..
I travel a LOT and stay in a LOT of hotels.. and I will stay here again..and again..
and yes the parking lot is low key... but my late model vehicle was fine for 2 nights..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Admittedly we were a bit leary after reading all the reviews, but... I met a friend who arrived in Bangor and we didn't want to worry about driving around to find dinner and bars. The hotel was perfectly located for us, just down the street from the bus station, across the street from an Irish pub...the ambiance was eclectic and funky and just fine. There was a Tom Waits feeling to it and the bartender served really strong drinks till 1am... and we got to play with his sleepy old pug who was totally adorable. The room had old-school windows that opened all the way to let in fresh air and the sounds of the city. Myself, I'll take personality and charachter over the Holiday Inn any day! I don't have a single complaint, but then I'm into experience and usually don't...expect things to be perfect and they will be:) Thanks guys and gal's:)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple