Penobscot Theatre Company
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Bangor
More attraction details
Owner description: Penobscot Theatre Company, owners of the historic Bangor Opera House, is America’s Northeastern-most professional, year round, not-for-profit organization, producing a wide variety of plays and musicals each season. PTC is committed to presenting high-quality, professional works of theatre that inspire the imagination and cultivate a lifelong passion for the art form.
Winterport, Maine
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a fum look at Main and Mainers. It is done with loving humor and delightful to watch. In fact this theatre consistently produces great entertainment. I have been a subscriber for 20+ Years.

Visited February 2014

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have been waiting for this for months! Blue Tarps are one of my pet peeves ... but, oh, my, the play was rich with stereotypes and laughs!!! A small cast did a great job depicting many elements of Maine life - from the rugged individual (standing proudly in his long underwear) to the distrust of outsiders. It was indeed a rich evening. The play was fun and made for an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I very much enjoyed opening night of "One Blue Tarp". The winter we have endured, one has to have some humor to get through. Humor was indeed provided. I would not recommend it for children, it is more for adults. I am sure with each show they will only get better and funnier. We loved the audience participation,also. We bought season tickets for our 40th anniversary and are so looking forward to each show this whole season as a continued celebration of our life together. Thank you Penobscot Theatre Company.

hampden, Maine
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“One Blue Tarp nails it - Bravo”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

The title says it all. This world premiere show by Travis Baker was a riot, beginning to end. Great characters, AMAZING set, and sharp, funny, clever, thoughtful writing through and through.

57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Excellent local theater”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

'The Penobscot Theatre' never fails to entertain and engage its audience! Whether comedy or drama the soul strings are strummed. Watching our local, beloved actors morph through different characters, sometimes performing several roles in one play, is a look at their genius.
I first saw Dominic Varney on a UMO stage as Judas in 'Jesus Christ Superstar' and was profoundly moved by his presence, powerful singing voice and the humanity he brought to the role... He far outshone 'Jesus'! I was surprised when I next had the pleasure to observe him in a comedic role. This man with the rubber face is so versatile in expression that I believe he could have the audience rolling in the aisles without the use of dialog!
My teenage daughter is a Ben Layman fan and I must admit I feel some disappointment when Ben's not on the stage.
The whole regular cast are professionals to the core and are regularly joined by bigger names from away, often from New York City. Their performances never fail to please though I have leaned toward the comedies for my theater amusement

Visited December 2013