“A welcomed addition to the Banogr Maine area” 5 of 5 bubbles

Moe's Original BBQ
Ranked #7 of 178 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Moe's Original Bar B Que serves up an award-winning, all things Southern, Alabama BBQ experience. The award-winning Alabama-style BBQ offerings include Pulled Pork, Ribs, Wings, Chicken and Turkey in addition to Catfish, and a Shrimp Moe-Boy sandwich. Plus, an array of traditional down home Southern sides and tasty desserts are prepared fresh daily.
Orrington, Maine, United States
“A welcomed addition to the Banogr Maine area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was our first time at Moe's in Bangor on Broadway across from Governors. Really good food and helpful, friendly service. My husband had the smoked chicken sandwich with beans and a vinegar-based slaw. Tender, smoky pulled chicken on a slightly toasted soft bun with slaw and pickles dressing the sandwich. He got the last of the chicken, so I had pulled pork sandwich with mac & cheese and a cucumber salad for sides. Our children (as noted in earlier reviews ate free) had the chicken tenders with chips and a soft drink. That was a total under $20 for four. That's a MacDonald's price for a really good meal that tasted as good with the last bite as it did with the first. And they offer beer. My husband had a Sierra Nevada and I had a Blue Moon both $4. They also have Pabst and about 5 or 6 brands. The food is spiced on the mild side, which was perfect for my taste. We also tried an extra side of "skillet corn" a combo of corn, peppers, onions and sausage in a lite broth. Just slightly spiced. Very tasty.

This is a great addition to the local food scene.

A note: Moe's smokes food daily, but it is first come first serve and when they run out - as they did tonight with the chicken - that's it for the day. We were there fairly late - 7:45 pm. With a phone call ahead they will try to guarantee big orders. They also sell takeout by the pound, or you can buy a whole smoked chicken. Sides sell by the half and whole pint.

Go enjoy. If you're driving trough Bangor on your way somewhere, Moe's is a couple minutes north of I-95 at the Broadway offramp. If you're local, go early, go often.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Karen F

“Meah.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I guess I don't have a southern palet. I had a smoke turkey sandwich with a few sides. Baked beans had pickles in them, table was dirty, and fountain soda had a bad mix. Overall I really wanted to like mows knowing it was the best new restaurant in bangor. Wound up tasting like acid vomit.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Saint John, Canada
“First visit was a home run!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Wow. Simply, Wow.

Greeted at the door by a staff, there was a little bit of a line up, so he actually got us drinks and explained the menu to us. Amazing customer service (I actually heard the couple in back of us say "This is our kind of place!").

The food. My advice, come hungry. My wife and I both had the pulled pork sandwich with beans & mac & cheese for sides, and everything was high quality and AMAZING. Good portion sizes, well balanced tastes, best BBQ I have had so far. Considering two people can have a large, tasty meal for under $20, with excellent service, I would highly recommend this experience to anyone.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Troy H
Maine
“Basic BBQ in Bangor Maine?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

YES! Finally! I've missed BBQ since Smokey Bones closed... Moe's is the answer. (I need to try the ribs next time.) Pulled pork was great, not over-loaded with sauce and had a nice smokey flavor... beans a bit spicy, but "that goes with it." DW had the friend cat fish and found it spicey, but to her liking. This is not sit-down dining--it's order and pick up at the counter. We found customer service was great, friendly, etc. If there's a negative it's that there's not an abundance of seating--although we did not have a problem finding a place. The draft beer we tried (a pale ale) was a disappointment but I wouldn't blame that on the restaurant. We both left sated with a check under $30. Ya can't beat that!

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Walter B
“Great Barbecue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

On our way to Bar Harbor and decided to take a slight detour to try this restaurant based on the reviews. I can say it was worth the trip. We had the pulled pork which was delicious. Baked beans were tasty and the banana pudding was rich and creamy. My husband tried the coleslaw and wasn't a huge fan because he is used to the mayo based type but indicated it was ok.

• 4 of 5 bubbles