“McLaughlin's at the Marina”
Review of McLaughlin Seafood

McLaughlin Seafood
Ranked #25 of 189 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013

There's McLaughlin Seafood on Main Street in Bangor; but if you drive a bit further toward Hampden and turn left at Marina Road, you'll find yourself on the bank of the Penobscot River where there is a marina, boat launching ramp, and McLaughlin's at the Marina restaurant. It's a lovely location, unique to Bangor where good food combined with waterfront ambiance is rare. The weather is turning chilly in central Maine this time of year, and McLaughlin's had their open patio protected from the wind with plastic sheeting as well as patio heaters available for warmth. Lunch began with a family-sized basket of onion rings which were freshly deep fried--crispy and delicious. This was followed by two chicken tender dinners; a fried haddock dinner; and a grilled scallop dinner--all served with sweet potato fries and coleslaw. The chicken tenders were large pieces of fresh white breast meat dipped in batter and deep fried. Scallops and haddock were both fresh. The total bill for lunch for four people was under $60--very reasonable considering the location, and the quality/quantity of food. Can't wait to return in the summer! I DO wish they didn't have a country radio station playing from tinny speakers which made conversation difficult, even after the volume was turned down upon our request. And more could be done to make the dining room more inviting when you first enter--just a bit of tidying up. But this is a casual place, and you'll always feel comfortable here and well fed when you leave.

1  Thank Wahzah

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The fried seafood is good as is the quantity. When I mean good, what I mean is it could be better. It was a little overfired and seemed rather skimpy. The one thing I wouldn't order again is the calm chowder. It was awful. Watery, too much potatoes, too little clams. It was also bland. You would do better to go buy some Progresso's Clam Chowder at your local supermarket.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I went to coastal Maine for my birthday and arrived in Bangor around 5. Trying to find one non-chain restaurant open in downtown Bangor on a Saturday is apparently next to impossible, but we drove up the main road and found this little building right on the side of the road. It definitely is a local's place and we are so glad we took a leap and ate there. While not at all reasonably-priced, the quality of the food is just amazing. We each ordered a lobster roll that came with a tiny side of cole slaw, upgraded to the sweet potato fries (if they would have told us it was an additional $3.95 for this, we definitely wouldn't have done that) and we shared a small cup of seafood chowder. That and two bottles of water were $50. HOWEVER...the lobster rolls were to die for! As you can see in the picture, the roll was a thick piece of high-quality bread that was sliced and buttered and literally stuffed with fresh, sweet lobster that was soft and tender, unlike any lobster either of us had ever had. The chowder was good, but super thin and after tasting other Maine chowders, it is apparently the way they do chowders. We were so full and when we go back, we will forgo everything else but the lobster rolls.

You sit outside under an awning, right on the side of the road. I think they closed at 7 that evening, so it's definitely someplace to go earlier in the evening. They had a little shop next door, where I saw lots of locals carrying loads of fresh seafood out.

Now that we are back home, we continue to dream of those amazing lobster rolls!

2  Thank floridaflightgal
Reviewed September 23, 2013

It was a beautiful afternoon when we stopped here for some great seafood.
We ate outside on picnic tables.
We were not disappointed!
We had Lobster Rolls - tasty.
We had Fried Clams - perfect.
We had Onion Rings - very good.
When in the Bangor area...stop by.
They also sell seafood "to go" & will pack & ship for you.
Very accommodating.

1  Thank LFMME
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Was recommended this locale by our hotel and what a great find! It is located at a small marina and is itself a very small family run restaurant but what great food.We sat outside which is on a small patio area next to the river and ordered drinks,appetizers and lobster.The bloody cesar my husband had was amazing! it came with a huge shrimp hanging on the glass and was perfectly done- this is especially notable to us because we often find that american establishments dont know how to properly do a bloody cesar.I had the lemon martini and it also was delicious.We had the seafood chowder and coconut shrimp and lobster mac and cheese appetizers and they were
all excellent.I could have had three cups of that chowder!Also as I wasnt too hungry I only had the appetizer size lobster mac and cheese but this was such a good portion that it made a meal for me.The sauce was beautifully done- not too thick or heavy - and there were many nice chucks of lobster meat that were delicious.My daughter had the coconut shrimp which were top notch and my husband loved his typicla Maine lobster dinner.For dessert we had the pumpkin roll which is like a carrot/pumpkin cake roll with a cream cheese filling-excellent - and also the mint chocolate cake which was described as tasting like and Andes Mint candy and it did! So very delicious.Over all great little place and I look forward to returning next summer.They are only open May to Oct I believe.
After dinner you can sit outside next to beautiful bon fire which just topped the evening off perfectly.