“Pretentious, Nasty Resto”

Ranked #11 of 191 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A great restaurant that deserves to be listed on tripadvisor.
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Tonight's dinner was a birthday celebration for a very close friend. We were 4 women, of whom 3 had been previous Fiddlehead customers. I was the only one from out of state. From the beginning, we were treated shabbily. This trend continued and worsened over the next 2+ hours as we patiently waited for our meal to arrive, and culminated with the owner bringing the checks along with a speech refusing to give us the dessert menu which we had requested after we had finished our main course. She said something to the effect that they had accommodated us long enough and it was time for us to go. The attitude of our waitress and the owner throughout the progressively abusive evening was unwelcoming, punitive because 2 of us were five minutes late, disrespectful and, after all, downright rude. If incivility is increasingly on the rise in our society, it was in astonishingly full force this evening at Fiddlehead in, of all places, Bangor, Maine. if these restauteurs think they deserve appreciative diners, they will need to rethink their customer orientation for, it is such as us who sustain their business.

1  Thank bindolin

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I had not planned to dine here until I read the Bangor section of the latest Moon travel guide for Maine upon our arrival in Bangor mid Saturday afternoon (14 Jun 2014). We had been in Island Falls, Maine, for a few days and were returning to Bangor for an overnight stay before our flight back home to Memphis on Sunday. I phoned the restaurant and was so impressed with how warmly my request to dine there on a busy Saturday night was received. We were told to come in at our requested time and that we would most certainly be seated at the bar and could possibly be seated at a table should someone else not keep a reservation. We arrived on time and were seated right away at the end of the bar facing the gorgeous windows fronting Hammond Avenue. We loved the way the hostess and bartender spoke with us throughout our dinner; we felt like honored friends. The menu is wonderful. All of our dishes were superb. After our afternoon of sightseeing in several nice neighborhoods around Bangor, our dinner here was the perfect touch to close out our day. I highly recommend this unique place, which offers inventive cuisine based on locally sourced meats, vegetables and fruits. This was a real treat!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

we drove by on a Saturday evening just when they opened...normally its packed when we drive by an hour later, but we took the opportunity and went in...my wife, who has been there several times, kept wanting to take me there so we finally made it....

I think the menu could have had a few more entrees but what we had was very well prepared and flavorful...the service was great and the atmosphere was very pleasant....so for a once in a while treat it was super!!! and by the time we left, the bar was full of people waiting for a table...

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Reservations are recommended as it is a bit small, which makes it the perfect setting for a romantic night out. The food will also offer memorable mixtures of flavors. I recommend enhancing your meal with a recommended wine from your server and to leave room to enjoy a decadent dessert at the end of your meal. The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful in offering suggestions or to respond to questions regarding preparations. They were also very respectful and responsive to concerns about food allergies. All in all it was a wonderful meal from start to finish.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Reservations are suggested, though we got in with no problem on a Thursday, late. We were greeted promptly and pleasantly, though my observation that the wheelchair lift on the staircase was HUGE was not met with a laugh. Anyway.................

Our server (David) was speedy, friendly and on the numbers. He suggested and then brought several samples of wine for me to try before I settled on one. Extra cornbread and molasses? Why, of course! And deeeee-licious. Then, dinner was timed perfectly. I like that they had local ingredients with rich flavors. It was my first meal in Maine, so I can't comment on how inventive it is for the area, but for the big city I live in it was pretty good. You should definitely give them a try.