“Mediocre Food - Unaccommodating Service - Not an Environmental Leader”
Review of Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead
Ranked #11 of 191 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A great restaurant that deserves to be listed on tripadvisor.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Had dinner with friends at Fiddlehead on a recent trip to Bangor. A real disappointment for all of - more so as we had all been looking forward to trying Fiddlehead. Beware if you are a group of more than 4 people as they will only sit groups of 4-6 people at the same tables designed for 4 people to sit comfortably. We found Fiddlehead to be overpriced for the quality of the food, which was mediocre, and suffering from unaccommodating service, which was at one point quite rude and prone to lame excuses and an unapologetic attitude. Organisationally we had no less than three servers during the evening. Fiddlehead did not live up to its own billing as a fresh take on "fine dining" - if that is their ambition then they have a long way to go. Our starter of vegetable samosa's were floury and tasteless, mains included burnt lamb and the tofu main was a deeply uninspiring pile of white rice with some cubes of tofu on top capable of turning the most diehard vegetarian into a carnivore, dessert was among the smallest I've ever seen at this price point.

Fiddlehead does not participate in Maine's Environmental Leaders program to certify restaurants as green businesses committed to sustainability and reducing their impact on the environment.

Much. much work to do.

5  Thank EcoTravelCritic

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have been to this restaurant several times, but never again. Not only were the menu choices unappetizing, but my chicken dish was so overcooked it tasted like leather. The tomato bisque tasted like Campbell's-no better, no worse. However, I can tolerate a below par meal when the service is polite and the restaurant tries. My experience on this last visit was to the contrary - we were rudely rushed, even warned that we only had 15 minutes for dessert. I decided to forego spending the extra money. It is ridiculous to sit customers and not allow enough time for a normal relaxing meal. My review of the experience of other diners, confirms this is a big problem at Fiddleheads.

5  Thank Thomas W
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Fiddlehead in Bangor. The place is small but nicely done. Noisy but sometimes you feel like that. We sat at the bar until our table was ready. The Manhattan was perfectly done. I had a summer salad which was very good. The main course was hanger steak. It was strangely one of the most expensive things on the menu and maybe the cheapest cut of steak. It was way too tough. Hanger steak is always tough but I thought they must have found a way around that to feature it. Dessert and coffee were excellent. I mentioned the steak to the server and they gave us a gift card for the value of the meal for the next time. This is our second visit there and after the first time, we didn't go back for a long time. A gift certificate got us back. Now I have another.

1  Thank donaldl967
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Dinner was fantastic. Staff was very attentive and friendly. Eclectic drink menu with several unique selections. Small dining area so would recommend a reservation. We arrived 30 minutes early and were immediately seated with no issues. Room is all hard surfaces so it can be loud if other patrons are speaking with their outside voices. Overall a wonderful experience and am very happy to have found such a high quality restaurant so close to our summer home in Maine.

1  Thank Doug R
Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a delightful find in Central Maine! While Portland is often cited as one of the best cities to find restaurants in the US, I would say that FIddlehead is a contender to any in Maine... and beyond. The menu was incredible... local and organic foods... and the service and ambience was truly wonderful If you are within 200 miles of Bangor... (Maine is, afterall, a pretty big state) DO NOT miss Fiddlehead!