“Interesting atmosphere”

Ranked #10 of 189 Restaurants in Bangor
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A great restaurant that deserves to be listed on tripadvisor.
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Fiddlehead in Bangor. The place is small but nicely done. Noisy but sometimes you feel like that. We sat at the bar until our table was ready. The Manhattan was perfectly done. I had a summer salad which was very good. The main course was hanger steak. It was strangely one of the most expensive things on the menu and maybe the cheapest cut of steak. It was way too tough. Hanger steak is always tough but I thought they must have found a way around that to feature it. Dessert and coffee were excellent. I mentioned the steak to the server and they gave us a gift card for the value of the meal for the next time. This is our second visit there and after the first time, we didn't go back for a long time. A gift certificate got us back. Now I have another.

1  Thank donaldl967

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Dinner was fantastic. Staff was very attentive and friendly. Eclectic drink menu with several unique selections. Small dining area so would recommend a reservation. We arrived 30 minutes early and were immediately seated with no issues. Room is all hard surfaces so it can be loud if other patrons are speaking with their outside voices. Overall a wonderful experience and am very happy to have found such a high quality restaurant so close to our summer home in Maine.

1  Thank Doug R
Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a delightful find in Central Maine! While Portland is often cited as one of the best cities to find restaurants in the US, I would say that FIddlehead is a contender to any in Maine... and beyond. The menu was incredible... local and organic foods... and the service and ambience was truly wonderful If you are within 200 miles of Bangor... (Maine is, afterall, a pretty big state) DO NOT miss Fiddlehead!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We thought we would try Fiddlehead as many great reviews (planned to go to 11 Central but too early, not opened yet). Friendly hostess (owner?) nice staff, good drinks.....food ok, but not special (dried chicken), space a bit noisy, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. We will try again sometime, but the food experience was not exceptional for us on this visit.

2  Thank Maine04428
Reviewed October 4, 2013

DOWNGRADED TO ONE STAR!!!!

It’s too bad trip advisor doesn’t allow for zero (or especially minus) star reviews, as surely I would start a trend, at this restaurant.

Not in over 25 years have I walked out of a restaurant, after ordering my drinks/cocktails. During the 30 minutes we were in this restaurant, my wife and I experienced an over-controlling, manipulative and ultimately vindictive hostess/head server/manager (owner?)….so we got up from our table, paid our cocktail bill, and left.

The restaurant business, and any customer service oriented industry requires the vendor to satisfy the desires of the customer, within a reasonable manner. Regrettably, the management here is ignorant, and dismissive of their customers, to their own obvious detriment.

Based on other reviews, I selected this restaurant for dinner. We arrived at 6:30, for a 7pm reservation. Upon entry, the hostess yelled to us that we were early. We asked if that was okay, and she replied yes. As soon as she seated us at our table, now acting as the head waiter, she immediately wanted to tell us about the specials. We politely stated that we wished to order our cocktails first. She huffed at that, yet complied to our request. After perusing the cocktail menu, I ordered drinks from her, but again, before leaving to place our order with the bartender, she wanted to tell us about the specials. Again, I told her we wanted our drinks first. She again snorted, louder this time, and exclaimed “I want to tell you so I can check it off my list”. She left in a huff. When she returned with our drinks, before we could even raise the glasses to our lips, she again wanted to tell us the evening specials, and “get us off her list”. I again politely, but firmly said wait, and she left, and never returned.

We had our drink, and though she and other waitstaff walked about the room which only had two other tables occupied, no one came over to us. Finally, after 30 minutes, we got up and paid our bill at the bar. It was so evident she was thrilled we were leaving.

The sign on her hostess/reception stand perfectly imparts her attitude that she’s in charge, and you will do it her way, or not at all (see accompanying photo: “please wait to be seated (yes, even at the bar).”

There are many other restaurants in town that offer great food, with great attitudes, smiles and service!! See my most positive review of 11 Central!!!

7  Thank Lawrence C