“Simply Amazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bailey Island
Driftwood Inn and Cottages
new hampshire
“Simply Amazing”
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I felt like I had stepped back in time. The rooms were cozy and clean, the sound of the surf sent you to sleep, the food (breakfast) was awesome. The best part is sitting in a rocking chair overlooking the ocean and doin' nuthin.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tabok

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 29, 2007

Loved everything about this place!! Some may find it shabby but I thought it was charming. Lovely porch to sit out on in the evening and listen to the waves crash on the cliffs. Our room was basic but adequate and we didn't mind using the communal shower facilties. Meal time in the dining room (that must be signed up for ahead of time) reminded me of family holidays in the 70's! The food was really good and overall service was friendly and helpful. Would certainly go again but would hope to stay maybe 4 nights instead of just 1.

• Liked — Peaceful and inspired relaxation
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank fishgirl20
Southbury Ct
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I happen to love Bailey Island but haven't been back for more than a dozen years! I was so pleased to see how little it had changed. My husband was off on a long business trip, it was too hot and humid in Ct, so I decided to take off on a solo adventure at the last minute. I did a little research on accomodations on Bailey Island and in skimming found the reviews of the Driftwood Inn to be glowing so I called and reserved a room for four nights.
This Inn is set on a glorious point in Maine on the ocean side on a rocky cliff. The waves crash against the rocks 24/7 and it is just wonderful. I was pleased by what I saw from the outside. When I checked in she asked me if I wanted to pay then or settle up later. Fortunately for me I said later. She directed me to my room on the second floor of one of the houses. I almost killed myself carrying my heavy suitcase up the flight of stairs! My room held a single bed, was quite sparse and clean. My initial reaction was that it looked like a nun's cubicle in some convent somewhere?
There was only one other room occupied this day by a couple and they were also upstairs and across the hall. In total this house had six bedrooms and could accomodate ten people. There was a half bath on the second floor that we had to share. I can't imagine sharing that half bath during the night with six other people because as it was it was occupied a couple of times I needed it during the night. There is also a full bath with shower on the first floor. One time during the night someone neglected to flush the toilet after use! UGH!!
I asked the other couple where the refrigerator was. There was not one nor is there ice service available. I should have brought a cooler and purchased ice elsewhere daily. To add to this the water at this Inn is not drinkable. I decided very quickly this was not the place for me. I left and found myself a cute little cottage on the bay side of the island with terrific water views, privacy and a refrigerator. They are rented wekly but due to a cancellation they were willing to rent it to me for three days. It was decidedly more money that the Driftwood but I didn' care. I was to stay the one night at the Driftwood since I had moved in. The Inn serves breakfast and dinner daily. Dinner is at 6 pm sharp and breakfast is at 8 am. I think the meals here are a good value altho the food is rather ordinary. Dinner is 16.50 and is a four course deal. I went to dinner and sat by myself. On this night there were six tables occupied and I was the only solo. I was not the last to arrive but for each and every course I was the last to be served. I admit I thought I would be served first being alone. I was in bed before 8 pm and had a decent night's sleep. I did love hearing the waves all night and from my bed enjoyed a wonderful sunrise the next morning. There were some pluses at least. I once agin hit the dining room (which by the way overlooks the water and is quite nice) and had breakfast. It again is a good value at 6.50 for a complete breakfast. I was out of there by 8:30 and settled into my cute comfortable cottage within minutes where I felt immediately "at home." In the end I had a wonderful stay on Bailey Island. I should note here that the few guests I spoke with had been coming to the Driftwood for years and loved it. It just wasn't for me and I think even if my husband had been with me we would have been out of there fast as well. It is a great value for Bailey Island. My room was only $70.--but for that value compromises have to be made. I hope this review was helpful to people reading it. I think going to the Driftwood Inn well prepared with cooler in hand and knowing what to expect will help the adjustment. Helen

• Liked — The setting view and waves
  • Disliked — To sparse, shared bath, no ice service or availability of refrigerator
  • Tips/Secrets — Being forewarned and ready about facilities--fabulous location, views and is a good value
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
17 Thank Helsbabe
Reviewed September 9, 2005

This Inn is real old Maine at its best. Rooms are simple and cozy with views to the sea. Between July and September, one can buy the best breakfast on the island here. There is a refreshing saltwater pool. The ambiance is rustic and welcoming. Folks are very friendly and many friendships begin on the lovely porch.

We rented a cute cottage with all the amenities. Prices are reasonable and we hope to return every year.

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2005

I have stayed at Driftwood for several years, off and on, as have family members. The ambiance is incredible. Families and individuals have returned to this inn for decades. The "porch" has one of the most scenic views in Maine and has been photographed and painted over and over. The view from most of the cabins is lovely and close to the ocean. The "digs" are rustic. Very. This is not a place for people who are used to "fancy" or timeshare stuff. It probably is not for everyone, but this place will endure. There is a kind of connection with others who come that is very unusual....and lifetime friends are made. The cabins typically need some sprucing up when you get there, but each place can quickly become your home for awhile. It is great fun. I would suggest that the owner clean the cabins better and buy new towels and better beds and bedding. However, everything has been fairly clean......and I've stayed in 4 of the cabins and in several rooms off and on. We have always had adequate water for showers...whatever temp you want. The breakfasts and evening meals are good for the price and are available at designated seasonal times. Artists, musicians, photographers, and writers frequent this place. I will always return.

• Stayed June 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed August 12, 2005

I grew up in central Maine over the 1960s and 1970s, and only over the past two years have I returned to Maine in the summer months. The Driftwood Inn is my favorite summer retreat by the ocean.

I discovered this inn last year when I took my school-aged sons to Maine and wanted a scenic setting to spend time with my mother. I have since returned with the boys, and plan more return visits. My sons have had a chance to spend time with their grandmother in a quiet setting and they have had great fun climbing the rocks. All we hear when we fall off to sleep is the sound of the surf--no cars and TVs in nearby rooms, thank goodness. I do let the boys watch T.V. in the common room for about an hour in the morning, but we reserve plenty of time to go exploring on the rocks.

Many of the people I meet are hooked by the tranquility and stay put. Families with kids will find things to do in the area, depending on how far they want to venture-- they can go kayaking, there are a couple of beaches. (Families with very young children would need to watch the kids when they get near the rocks.)

Contrary to another comment on this website, we find the rooms to be very clean. We have no problem with the fact that we share a bath with a couple of rooms--there is more than one bathroom in each building anyway. The breakfasts are hearty, and my sons, who are picky eaters, always find something that they like. We have arrived at breakfast at 8:15 and have been served--(they may have run out of something, but I don't recall.) I hope that they don't change a thing.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank ptrjmaltd
Reviewed June 13, 2005

I've been staying at the Driftwood Inn every few summers for over 25 years. I have always loved it here. I've stayed here with my mother, and with my daughter - all generations have enjoyed it! It's a very old fashioned sort of place - it reminds me of the summer cottage our famiy used to have in Rockport Maine. The breakfasts are wonderful! And we've also enjoyed staying here off season, in September, when the dining room is closed. Besides rocking on the porch, my favorite activity here is climbing on the rocks and looking for sea glass.

• Stayed August 2000
#1 of 1 in Newagen
Sebasco Harbor Resort
Sebasco Harbor Resort
#1 of 1 in Sebasco Estates

Been to Driftwood Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!