“The serving staff did their best!”

Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry
“The serving staff did their best!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very poor - clearly understaffed - kitchen was not coping with the volume of food heading out.
Servers were expected to do too much in the restaurant - they were run off their feet! BUT the serving staff were doing what they could and were doing their best - they were very good.

As for the food - really not great. Two medium steaks clearly well done - obvious before even cutting into it! Two well done steaks - well I am sure you can guess - dry as a bone!

The only reason we did not send them back was the very long wait to get them in the first place and the 30 minutes it took a neighboring table to get a replacement salad when they sent it back!

So overall -
Service - were trying very hard in a clearly difficult situation - our server was very good.
Food - very poor, long wait, mixed up order in kitchen, poor standard of presentation - no kitchen should be sending out an obviously overcooked steak

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dek-Scotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Myself, partner and 2 year old boy went for lunch yesterday to the hawes inn after being recommended by a few people for its food, unfortunately it did not live up to the hype at all! My partner ordered the calamari with mango salsa, it came after a long wait, with a mayo that looked like it had been sat there for 3 days, and was very chewy and over cooked, my prawn cocktail was average, for main I had the buffalo and chorizo burger, which I could hardly bite into, was burnt on the outside and very over cooked, the coleslaw served with it was disgusting!! My partner had the steak pie, which consisted off a mound of pastry a few bits of meat and an over the top wine tasting gravy. I ordered my son BBQ chicken from the kids menu, which was ok, he liked it, but he is 2, although you would think it being a children's plate, it wouldn't come out absolutely burning! A bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss! Overall, I would not recommend anyone to go there, and is definitely well over prices for below average food.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Cuthbert88
Scotland
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Booked this place for my partner's birthday as I had heard good things.

On arrival I was ignored by 3 staff who saw me waiting and simply walked away. I eventually mentioned to the fourth that I had booked a table and before I had finished she barked at me to sit anywhere. I had booked a table so I then walked up to the bar. There was no one else there apart from the 3 staff who had ignored me. I asked a guy for help and he said that it was his first day and he didn't know what to do. I then found the lady who had shouted to sit to me and told her I had a table booked and that 4 people now had ignored me / walked away. She changed her tone slightly and told me to go in to the restaurant before running away again. Errrrm restaurant? Was I not in it?

Eventually found my table myself and sat down. Again ignored by the the two staff in the "restaurant" . eventually one brought menus. basically throughout the meal we were never served unless we asked specifically for help and then on leaving I had to wait for ages at a desk before anyone could be bothered to take payment. Even then, the staff member who eventually appeared couldn't use the machine.

the food?.. Same as every other vintage inn. my chicken pie was boiling in the middle and cool round the edges. Of course no one was available to check how my meal was.

The staff here clearly don't give two hoots about their customers and I am gutted that I wasted my money here. I will not be back . Sad that the famous hawes inn has come to this.

Ate at a vintage inn up in Broughty Ferry. what a difference. 3 staff smililing on arrival and couldn't do enough to help. Meals checked up on and they even tried. Bit of banter and smiled. All on a busy Friday night. maybe the grim staff at the Hawes Inn should go on a study trip..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Edin83
Thropton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Another great long weekend at the Hawes Inn. Food is good pub grub, nothing fancy, but it's a pub! The staff were friendly and efficient, even changing our room for us - nothing wrong with the original one, but having stayed before there's one we particularly like. Leigh our breakfast waitress was great as usual, cheery and nothing's a bother. Be back soon.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Totham
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really like this hotel. The location is spectacular, under the Forth Rail Bridge, the best looking bridge I have seen and with a view of the Forth Road Bridge, in my opinion, better than the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. I stayed in the Robert Louis Stevenson room and had two double beds and loads of room, not to mention the view. Food in the hotel is very good although service in the evening was a bit hit and miss. Breakfast is freshly cooked for you. Free car parking is a big plus. I tend to stay here when visiting Edinburgh and am always pleased I did!

Room Tip: A room with a view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kelty Fife
Reviewed May 11, 2013

was at the restaurant a week ago with my whole family for a birthday celebration .the service was great the atmosphere in the place great and most of all the food was great and very reasonable for price,go and have yourself a great meal book a room and have a great time with fantastic views of the bridges.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

As always plenty of spacious tables to choose from, especially by their numerous windows giving great views of "the bridge" and the Forth. Service here is very easy both in terms of drinks and food, very good menu choice (a la carte, fixed menu and daily specials), no delays for food, waiting staff very attentive without being overbearing, food excellent and good portions. All in all a very pleasant experience and very relaxed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,828 reviews
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Queensferry) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
The Queensferry Hotel
The Queensferry Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
Hotel ibis budget Edinburgh Business Park

Been to Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, South Queensferry? Share your experiences!